First build: Thom A293 based concept armor

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Thom A293, Nov 21, 2016.

1. CaminusPrime

CaminusPrime New Member

This build is looking Amazing!

Thom A293 likes this.
  2. Thom A293

Thom A293

So I got a question... What are some crazy strong magnets that I could use to hold the front and back half's of the chest piece together? I bought some but they are too weak, but I don't want to so strong as to lock together and snap the glue off.

Kat likes this.
  3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Look for rare earth magnets. They have a more technical name but, it escapes me at this moment.

Kat and Thom A293 like this.
  4. electricknite

electricknite

neodymium rare earth magnets is the technical name

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Thom A293 and PaiganBoi like this.
  5. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

There are different grades of rare earth magnets which indicate their strength. Here is a calculator so that you will know if the magnets you are buying are strong enough. I wouldn't recommend buying them off this site because they are much cheaper through ebay.
    K&J Magnetics - Magnet Calculator

Thom A293 likes this.
  6. Thom A293

Thom A293

Sweet thanks guys, now for try number two of magnets.

7. Thom A293

Thom A293

I have not forgotten!
    The suit has been a slow pace but it is still moving. Right now it has mainly been a lot of painting and painting on the suit. All the pieces are quite close except the chestpiece and the helmet, both of those are mainly a solid green.

IMG_20170606_1101541_zpsro9chtgb.jpg
    IMG_20170620_063334_zpsxtpb2mej.jpg
    IMG_20170620_063352_zpsyufq1mtv.jpg
    IMG_20170620_063449_zpss1d4pkvr.jpg

Previously I had been talking about how I had been using toothpaste as my paint coverer and was praising it. Yes, it created a result that looked quite good, but it was a pain to clean up and take off... I then tried Vaseline and low and behold it created a better result and came off super easy :eek::mad:... Why I hadn't been using that before I don't know, but in short don't use toothpaste, use Vaseline.

Not relative to my suit but still halo cosplay, my friend got two molded helmets that he wanted me to fix up and primer. I was super jealous cause the noble 6 was a regular $130 I think, but the original mark he got for $10. Anyway, they were quite fun to do the touch up work on, removing the seams and such. I cant rn but ill post pics of those two helmets later.

What I will do to keep hopefully more posts going is each armor part I "finish" with the basic painting I will post some pictures of it.

Kat, Schankerz and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  8. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

took ya' long enough. :D

Looks sick man! And show us a premature suit-up!

Thom A293 likes this.
  9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Once everything is painted are you going to give it all a black wash? It's going to really bring out the detail you have built into all of the armor.

Thom A293 likes this.
  10. Thom A293

Thom A293

Yeah lol, it did take a while. Once I get the magnets for the chest I will do a suit up for ya guys. Can't do a suit up if the chest piece won't stay.

Yes, my plan is to do a black wash with a few other weathering colors on the armor. There is quite a bit of painting I still got to finish beforehand though.

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  11. jsg6

jsg6

Hey, nice build. I also prefer the more realistic spartan armor as most times I play with Soldier body armor as it has ammo pouches and stuff.

Thom A293 likes this.
  12. jsg6

jsg6

Another thing, I may not of been paying attention but where did you get the helmet visor?

13. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Hey jsg6 if no one has replied since your last post you can just edit it instead of double posting.

Here is a link to when Thom talks about where he bought his visor.

CommanderPalmer and Thom A293 like this.
  14. jsg6

jsg6

Thanks.

15. Thom A293

Thom A293

Thanks jsg6 for liking the build. Yep, that's the link. PerniciousDuke is stealing guy questions :cry::cry::D:p Jkjk now it's fine, I don't go on enough.

I see everybodys builds going and I've gotten so close, just a little bit more and it's done.

PerniciousDuke and Schankerz like this.
  16. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Lol. Just trying to help. You've still got things to do! I need you to finish so I can see it. :) You gonna be at ECCC?

Thom A293 likes this.
  17. jsg6

jsg6

Me?

18. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Go to Jet City Comic-show as well, it's a nice little convention. It's pretty small, not a major comic-con, but it's the only convention-like thing in October. The convention is located in downtown Tacoma, so it's not far from the 3 of us. They have a sweet costume contest for adults, and I think you have a good chance, Thom. last year, they gave away $200 worth of casting rubbers and resin. Worth it to me. :D

I'm going to enter with my Warlock costume. my MC got 5th or place. They value both fabric and armor combinations; the overall best-executed costume. So I'm trying again with a better costume, you guys gonna come, PerniciousDuke and Thom A293?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Kat and PerniciousDuke like this.
  19. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

I'm trying! :) I still have pieces to pep. :p Jet City was my 1st tier goal and I think I'm still on track. I doubt I'll beat Thom though if we both enter.

Love to see you too jsg6 ! but I was talking to Thom.

20. Thom A293

Thom A293

Oooh, jet city sounds cool, yeah it would be sweet to go. Yeah my plan PerniciousDuke is to go to Emerald city comic con.

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  21. Thom A293

Thom A293

Chest piece has magnets but some decided to pop out, so I got to re attach a few. Other than the chest, the suit is all painted and I'm working my way 100% finishing each armor piece. First up on the completion list is the boots. I weathered them with a mix of a dirt and sand modeling paint, I thought they turned out pretty good. The paints I used are more of a lighter water based paint so I just did a lot of coats and dabbed the paint with a paper towel to get that realistic weathered look. Once I do some more of the armor I might add more dirt to darken them up some more, I'll wait and see.
    IMG_20170723_182122_zpsr8bpstw3.jpg

IMG_20170723_182114_zpsjdqautwq.jpg

22. Thom A293

Thom A293

2017 Maker fair in Seattle.
    Suit is pretty much done, but I will do a post with an update on it all:
    IMG_20170916_1540190_zpsmtk2ahvh.jpg

IMG_20170916_1149489_zpstal5qhbh.jpg

IMG_20170916_1256577_zpsdbdhcrxr.jpg

IMG_20170916_1425140_zps6flvgoug.jpg
    And guess who I met? :D:eek:

23. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

24. TheAstroBot

TheAstroBot New Member

Paint job looks absolutely amazing!!

Question, do you have any plans to make an undersuit?

Thom A293 and PerniciousDuke like this.
  25. Thom A293

Thom A293

Thanks man, I was pretty excited to meet them as well.

I do have plans to make an undersuit. I was just trying to knock out the suit and then do the light machine gun/undersuit next. I know its kinda lacking with an undersuit :D