First build: Thom A293 based concept armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I love the reach concept suits too. Only problem with the concept suits is they are concept for a reason. For instance the shins are really tight and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to walk in them because of the ankle curve part rubbing against the ground, but then with the boots on its just fine cause they add so much hight.

This is great man. Did you affix the armor to the boots so it is permanent? What did you use?

Over the shoulder thingy is built and attached to the suit! I finished it a few days ago but didn't get the time to post. The abb wrap is cut out, dremmeled, and heat bent, all I need to do is assemble it! Then off to the suit detail, there is quite a bit but it should not take to long.
View attachment 241667
View attachment 241668
View attachment 241669
View attachment 241670
View attachment 241671
Aw man, it looks so good! This thing will be awesome all painted.

Basic manikin is built, he needs some meat and skin on him though. I also have made the Abb wrap and have started the detailing. All I have left to do is the arms and chest, then off to sealing and painting.
tmp_12116-Attach1945_20170406_2210071905923220_zpshmbah5kx.jpg

tmp_12116-Attach1946_20170406_2211491877375928_zpsdbv5nulm.jpg
The armor is just sitting on there so I know it looks a bit... Strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, that Mannequin looks just like you! lol

My face just melted a little...that looks reaaaaly good. What I mean to say is: "That looks really Papeesheewoosh"

This build is amazing(papeesheewoosh), I can't wait to see more.

That is an awesome idea. Currently working on a duct tape dummy for making pasterns and holding armor but I may change to something like this lol it looks allot easier and sturdier.

Distemper my experience with duct tape dummies was terrible. I tried making one a few months ago and the spray foam wouldn't set. Not to discourage you from making one but just in case, another way of making fairly accurate mannequin for pattern making is to build it from contact cement and eva foam.

Distemper my experience with duct tape dummies was terrible. I tried making one a few months ago and the spray foam wouldn't set. Not to discourage you from making one but just in case, another way of making fairly accurate mannequin for pattern making is to build it from contact cement and eva foam.

Yeah I tried the spray foam at first and it did not go well lol. I have just been cramming each piece full of stuffying from Jo-ann Fabrics. I have a few gallons of Barge Cement and lots of EVA foam floor mats so I may end up trying that. Thank you for the tip.

Have I got some progress to show to you...
"Vegie tales.. vegie tales.. vegie tales, vegie tales... There's never never never never never a show..."
Ok, that's not what I wanted to show you. :D:p

Back On Topic! had a nice 4 day weekend and sadly its almost over :cry:, but I was able to get a bit done. Posting this with the data of my phone (cause my internet is down), I had finished adding all the detail to the whole suit, the main hoo-rah being the chest piece.
tmp_1560-IMG_20170414_1047381070214295_zpswpcfrizm.jpg

IMG_20170417_050336_zpslfqq0iun.jpg

IMG_20170417_050306_zpszkqb6xsj.jpg

Now opening the doors to sealing and I thought I had a process for that: kwik seal the holes, mod podge a layer, wet sand that down, then spray on the plasti-dip and vwa-la be ready to paint. So that process I tried on the hand armor bits, the shoulder piece, and the helmet to find that it sucked... I hadn't kwik sealed enough so there was still a lot you could see and the plasti-dip spray is not what I thought. I had heated it up all nice and shaked it really well to get a spray that was big drops of dip, it was not some nice even coating that I had imagined:confused::eek:. So I thought hey, maybe it needs a few coats to even out, three+ coats in on the pieces and they were still all bumpy. And then to top it all off my can half way through decided to oose out spray around the cap slowly but constantly. I could of just had a bad can, I have two more, but it was so bad so I probably wont use them. I was happily able to resurrect the helmet by wet sanding and sealing some more followed by a layer of mod and then wet sanding again. The end result I quite like and can't wait to have done.
IMG_20170418_095713_zpsojy9gjta.jpg

IMG_20170420_040908_zps4bfmc77d.jpg

IMG_20170418_104228_zpsai0qifwo.jpg

IMG_20170420_041030_zpswugo3bnm.jpg

After that whole mess, I got a process that seems to work nicely: Mod podge, kwik seal, mod podge, wetsand. So far the forearms, boots, butt plate, front of cod, a thigh, and a shin have been done this way and all they need is a wetsanding then off to painting.
IMG_20170420_040857_zpsuybt0get.jpg

My paint idea, undersuit, weathering, all that lovely stuff is coming from the HALO Reach Deliver Hope Kat suit used in the trailer.
full%20front%203_zpsaxhehkkf.png

I haven't colored the chest and commando shoulder to what they will look like cause that would take a long time, so I just did a slight coloring.
3d%20spartan_zps5ifgkznj.jpg

This suit looks the most realistic out of any Spartan suit I have seen, even any other halo trailers. Right now I had experimented on the butt plate part of the warn look which is the chipped off paint. I like it a lot, all I need to do is less big splotches and more small cuts and splotches (like in the deliver hope kat suit). My choice to cover up the metal to have the green on is toothpaste. This is because even though its a bit tricky to play with cause it likes to stick to itself, it wont block painting like vaseline or cause a yellow stain like mustand. Plus it leaves a minty paint smell which you think would be good but nope.
IMG_20170420_041104_zpswwdbav7z.jpg

Last hoo-rah was getting the amazballs M-73 from mblackwell1002. It was great to be able to meet up and we talked about our builds and he brought a really cool titan helmet:cool:. Once I got home I put all the pieces together and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, she be nice and quite big. And I am still a teen so saying that this rifle is "dope" over and over when I don't say "dope" really ever is quite ok.
IMG_20170417_140745_zpsalst0qva.jpg

And I don't know why but my favorite group of parts are these and this angle:D.
IMG_20170420_041730_zpsxhhc7xfc.jpg

Anyways, that's all so far and I'm hoping to have some more pieces painted for the next post soon.

Last edited:
Awesome man top notch work. The plasti dip in a can doesn't come out as well as brushing it on. The can is much easier and faster tho. But if buy the stuff in a can then thin it with acetone you can brush it on. It takes a lot more coats that way but the result is much smoother. I think plasti dip was a pain and it will crinkle if the foam is stressed. I will probably not go the plasti dip route with my new builds. I'm thinking I want to try the angelus leather paints right on the foam or maybe some type of latex. Just something with some more flex.

Last edited:
Amazing work!!! The Details from the thinner craft foam really give that extra Awsomeness! The LMG gives me goosebumps it looks amazing Thom, you really out did yourself on that one. Can't wait to see the rest painted up and ready to go, and good luck with the undersuit I'm sure you will get it perfect and I will be taking notes seeing how I'm having trouble with mine hahaha ;).

woop, woop!

Dude, that looks amazing! Your new process seems to work very well, the seams are pretty much gone...it's fantastic. I have a feeling I'll be picking up some modge-podge anq kwik-seal real soon. :)

Oh-oh, it seems you're ready to put in a looooot of sanding hours in very soon. That gun is gonna be a long haul. It'll look fantastic once you're done with it.

And Blake, I think you meant "Papeesheewoosh-ness"...:p

Last edited:
I'm sure you already know how amazing your suit is turning out. In fear of inflating your ego I will only say it one more time (at least until your next picture post).... It's soooo good!!! :D

I'm glad you found a different method once you realized your first one wasn't working for you. A lot of people would have left it, and for me that is the biggest difference why some suits turn out better than others. You have a vision and you're willing to work until you see it come to life. I love it.

Your undersuit idea looks like it will have a lot of rubber. Any plans for that? Seems like it could get heavy quick.

Thanks all, your comments mean a lot. To me it just looks like any other spartan suit, but I'll just listen to you guys :D.
Latex paint would be good but I'm cheap and for some reason I love plain old spray paint, use it right you can get a good result.
The undersuit Willie a but different than other undersuit yeah, the undersuit will really just be where it's visible, my plan for the knees though is to just use a pair of military elbow sleeve pads, they are pretty tight but they work nicely. The rest will be some fabric (IDK what it will be yet) with my plan is car rubber door seal strips as that O ring look that's on that Kat suit. So the neck, shoulders, and but will be made like that. For the shoulders I'm planning on making something but IDK what yet.

Nice.
Well, with good ol spray paint just be mindful not to use enamel. I thought all cheap cans are the same. Most are acrylic and some are enamel and they don't layer well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back