First build WIP - Halo 4 Recon Helmet / Halo 4 Mark VI Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with wanting to have an awesome paint job over battle damage.

Hmmm. As usual having the best of both worlds would be nice ;). What would you guys recommend I do? I was thinking that during the wet sand I did earlier in this thread I created some nice looking scuff marks purely by accident - maybe I could take some 150 grit sandpaper and hit it one direction and see what happens.

Hmmm. As usual having the best of both worlds would be nice ;). What would you guys recommend I do? I was thinking that during the wet sand I did earlier in this thread I created some nice looking scuff marks purely by accident - maybe I could take some 150 grit sandpaper and hit it one direction and see what happens.

I think you could find a good balance between damage and a clean paint job. The key would probably be to not overdo it with the damaging. The down side is your "damage" might look too clean too, if that makes any sense.

I think you could find a good balance between damage and a clean paint job. The key would probably be to not overdo it with the damaging. The down side is your "damage" might look too clean too, if that makes any sense.

I definitely understand what you are saying. Maybe a good black wash on the damaged areas would do the trick. Thanks for the reply.

The helmet is on the home stretch! A couple more productive nights after work and I can call it done.

Here's how it looks after tonight's work:

10512361336_c53ea17058_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10512361336_c53ea17058_b_d.jpg
    10512361336_c53ea17058_b_d.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 203
D: i've been on the forms for a month or so.... Where was this at the whole time!!!!! Looks amazing and now I have to ask! How did you get the damaged areas to look so amazing?!?!? :D

D: i've been on the forms for a month or so.... Where was this at the whole time!!!!! Looks amazing and now I have to ask! How did you get the damaged areas to look so amazing?!?!? :D

Hahaha I joined up here rather recently after getting a good ways into my build. I'm really happy I ended up here, this is a very helpful and supportive community.

The damage areas started with me laying down 4 coats of metallic looking paint under everything followed by 3 coats of clear to gove me a buffer so i wouldnt go through the metallic paint; then I painted normally. To actually create the damage areas I took 220 grit sandpaper and a bowl of water dipped my sandpaper in like I was going to do a wet sand but instead of a sanding motion I did hard strokes one direction till I took off enough top paint for the metallic paint underneath to show through.

Hahaha I joined up here rather recently after getting a good ways into my build. I'm really happy I ended up here, this is a very helpful and supportive community.

The damage areas started with me laying down 4 coats of metallic looking paint under everything followed by 3 coats of clear to gove me a buffer so i wouldnt go through the metallic paint; then I painted normally. To actually create the damage areas I took 220 grit sandpaper and a bowl of water dipped my sandpaper in like I was going to do a wet sand but instead of a sanding motion I did hard strokes one direction till I took off enough top paint for the metallic paint underneath to show through.

What type of clear did you use? Because I've had a rough time painting over a clear coat with paint not sticking and cracking! Haha I am so using this method on my future builds!!!

What type of clear did you use? Because I've had a rough time painting over a clear coat with paint not sticking and cracking! Haha I am so using this method on my future builds!!!

I used some krylon clear that I had laying around. I did three light coats of it about 10 minutes after my last coat of metallic under-paint then let the whole thing dry for a couple days before moving on.

O and the black grid rubber on the top of the helmet!!!! How did you do that!!!

I had four rubber coffee mug coasters shaped like mini car floor mats. I never really used them so I cut them to fit, applied epoxy, and stuck them on. Gave them a whole new purpose!

I actually started this same helmet a couple weeks ago also. I just love how you detailed yours so I'll be using this tread to come back to for inspiration in the future!

The helmet is on the home stretch! A couple more productive nights after work and I can call it done.

Here's how it looks after tonight's work:

8210D521-32E1-44D1-9888-43B32154CB3B-467-0000003C6551384E_zps829b131f.jpg
That looks superb! Nice job :cool

Attachments

• 8210D521-32E1-44D1-9888-43B32154CB3B-467-0000003C6551384E_zps829b131f.jpg
    8210D521-32E1-44D1-9888-43B32154CB3B-467-0000003C6551384E_zps829b131f.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 236
Thanks for the complements. Tonight I'll be painting more and hopefully get to making the reverse hex stencil for the visor.

I had an idea that might be good but I don't know. How do you think printing out a hex pattern on a window decal and just sticking it on would look? That is what I am going to try with my visor. It seems like it would be a lot less work than a reverse hex stencil and paint.

I had an idea that might be good but I don't know. How do you think printing out a hex pattern on a window decal and just sticking it on would look? That is what I am going to try with my visor. It seems like it would be a lot less work than a reverse hex stencil and paint.

I think it's a pretty good idea if executed properly (proper application), I think the only thing a decal version of it would be missing is that 'textured' look that matte frosted clearcoat would achieve if you get what I'm saying. Although at such a small level of detail I'm not sure it would really matter which method you choose.

Heck, just for the amount of time it may save I'd say give your way a shot! I'd love to see the outcome.

It'll be posted in my build thread in my sig when it's done. It may be one of the last things to do because I don't see it as super necessary. I feel like completing the armor first is more important, but we'll see.

I think it's a pretty good idea if executed properly (proper application), I think the only thing a decal version of it would be missing is that 'textured' look that matte frosted clearcoat would achieve if you get what I'm saying. Although at such a small level of detail I'm not sure it would really matter which method you choose.

Heck, just for the amount of time it may save I'd say give your way a shot! I'd love to see the outcome.

I would say for the stencil start in the middle and stretch It perfectly over the whole visor and if it won't then apply correctly the heat gun to loosen it up and allow it to fit Over it, then Airbrush very lightly over the specific parts a similar color, like if the visors light blue then use dark blue airbrushing, or for to orange use a more yellow orange, light green visor use dark green airbrush! Then it should look amazing when you remove the stencil because airbrushing is very light and you can see through it due to the way it sits :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back