First build WIP - Halo 4 Recon Helmet / Halo 4 Mark VI Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good idea as well, but I'm talking about forgoing the painting all together. My visor color is kind of aurora, so it has shades of teal, purple and gold. I would print out a really fine hex pattern with the lines being dark purple and just stick it to the visor and don't use any paint. Since a couple people are interested to see results, I will do it today and post pics.

Cleaned up my workspace today and started the torso into shaping phase, you can see in the pic below the piece that goes behind your neck. I inserted an aluminum crossmember through that piece which in turn will connect to the shoulders/thruster packs and support the entire back section of the torso.

10523787553_1086d74197_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10523787553_1086d74197_b_d.jpg
    10523787553_1086d74197_b_d.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 181
Update on the torso:

Below you can see where I stand with the torso at the moment. Right now it's nice and modular. The front inserts into the rear shoulders which are braced together by a piece of aluminum.

That's as far as the good news goes. Finishing each section out to primer and paint isn't a problem or what bothers me. The problem I'm most worried about right now is how everything is slightly tweaked from the resin phase making it difficult for me to align the parts. I'll be very honest and say I'm having my doubts about not going the way of foam here.

I suppose the complexity of it just had me down right now. Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging ahead. Wish me luck.

On a side note, I love the weight of this torso piece. It really feels like wearing a piece of combat ready armor.

10523791233_c4b7fc4fa7_b_d.jpg

10523794523_739fdf1898_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10523791233_c4b7fc4fa7_b_d.jpg
    10523791233_c4b7fc4fa7_b_d.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 10523794523_739fdf1898_b_d.jpg
    10523794523_739fdf1898_b_d.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 174
mate just keep chipping away at it. Although my suit isn't made of resin/bondo it requires a lot of patience. Sometimes, you find that you spend ages doing something but it just doesn't work out. At that stage its best just to take a couple of days away from it and you'll find that when you get back to it things fall into place and the work that took you ages to complete will be completed in no time.

Just think how awesome it will be to have your own Spartan armour! and none of that store bought replica crap either!

I really appreciate the support! With a little help holding it all together I just accomplished a test fit plus the helmet (sorry no pictures yet) but I can tell you thanks to careful planning the recon helm is meshing nicely and looking very good with the mk vi armor.

U513 you are exactly right! I've been working nonstop on this for quite some time and a couple days off definitely wouldn't hurt.

Small update here but I started shaping the shoulder piece!

10523576635_07d49881e4_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10523576635_07d49881e4_b_d.jpg
    10523576635_07d49881e4_b_d.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 185
Put about 7 hours in on the right shoulder piece today and the bulk body filler shaping is almost complete

10523582405_040e17cc55_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10523582405_040e17cc55_b_d.jpg
    10523582405_040e17cc55_b_d.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 175
Is that a solid piece? How heavy is it?

It's not entirely solid, it's mostly hollow except for the layers of my liquified filler I did on the inside. It has exceptional strength and decent weight to it. I'd say it goes 4lbs currently just on that one piece.

I also forgot to add in that I did liquified filler on the inside of the thruster packs today and after that set up, I filled the rest of the empty space inside the thruster packs with spray foam. The shaping of the thruster packs comes after both shoulders.

that looks amazing i love it and keep up the good work
Looking good. I can hardly believe this is your first build. I can't wait to see more of this awesome build.

Thanks you guys!

I also forgot to add in that I did liquified filler on the inside of the thruster packs today and after that set up, I filled the rest of the empty space inside the thruster packs with spray foam. The shaping of the thruster packs comes after both shoulders.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty sturdy set of armor!
Good work :)

Looking great so far, and the paint scheme on the helmet came out very well. But then I might be a bit biased, as blue and white are not only my old school colors but also what I tend to go with 90% of the time for in-game armor colors.

Also: Finally someone else who understands that Chief's armor in Halo 4 is still Mark VI. lol. Been a bit of a pet peeve of mine seeing so many people refer to it as the "Mark VII" when 343i came right out and said it's still the Mark VI that Chief went into cryosleep wearing, it's just been artistically re-imagined by their designers to make it "theirs" and to better fit the style for the game. I'm not even sure if what the Spartan IVs are wearing is technically Mark VII or if it's more like Mark VI 2.0.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty sturdy set of armor!
Good work :)

Thanks, and yup, sturdiness is part of the plan.

Looking great so far, and the paint scheme on the helmet came out very well. But then I might be a bit biased, as blue and white are not only my old school colors but also what I tend to go with 90% of the time for in-game armor colors.

Also: Finally someone else who understands that Chief's armor in Halo 4 is still Mark VI. lol. Been a bit of a pet peeve of mine seeing so many people refer to it as the "Mark VII" when 343i came right out and said it's still the Mark VI that Chief went into cryosleep wearing, it's just been artistically re-imagined by their designers to make it "theirs" and to better fit the style for the game. I'm not even sure if what the Spartan IVs are wearing is technically Mark VII or if it's more like Mark VI 2.0.

Oh yeah you always gotta love the look of the blue and white armor!

You are exactly right with the mk.VI armor, I believe what the spartan IVs are wearing is mk.VI generation II armor. In the kilo-five trilogy the only spartan to have received actual mk.VII armor was Naomi-010.

Excellent work. Very inspiring.
man that looks amazing and the detail is great on it!!!

Thanks!

And for now I'll leave you guys with another pic for comparison:

10523626524_e984fe2ef9_b_d.jpg

Attachments

• 10523626524_e984fe2ef9_b_d.jpg
    10523626524_e984fe2ef9_b_d.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 253
Lookin great man! I wish my first build turns out as good as yours and I'm gonna b strengthening my helmet so your techniques might be what I need to get my helm to hold together! Keep up the good work

This simply cannot be your first build. Period. Not possible. This is so much better than ANYTHING I can do with pep.

Looking good, keep up the amazing work!!!

Lookin great man! I wish my first build turns out as good as yours and I'm gonna b strengthening my helmet so your techniques might be what I need to get my helm to hold together! Keep up the good work

Thanks, if you need any help let me know. Good luck on your helmet.

This simply cannot be your first build. Period. Not possible. This is so much better than ANYTHING I can do with pep.

Looking good, keep up the amazing work!!!

Hahaha I can assure you it's my first build, and thanks, I really think that most of what I do is just careful steps forward. I've learned in the past 3 months that drastic steps usually spell trouble when working with these materials. Ive made plenty of mistakes along the way so far but I just keep at it till I get it right. Like right now I'm pushing into sketchy territory - I have one shoulder section shaped, now to shape the other shoulder section to match the first is turning into a real mind bender and is pretty frustrating but I'd rather do 300 small batches of body filler and sand each one in turn rather than gob it all on and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back