First (Halo4/5) armor- EOD helmet with Defender armor (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkB224

Hey there! It's my first time on this forum so I'm sorry if I'm a bit awkward-

I've been waiting a while on doing this project, waiting on the right opportunity and all, and I've finally gotten to it!

This Armor set combination is based on both a Halo Character I made a while ago, mainly for my own entertainment, as well as the combination of Armor I use in Halo 5.

I've decided to do the painting myself, but the helmet is made by LettsProps, and the armor, once it gets here, is made by MCosplaySupplies. I've gotten all my paints, as well as the plastidip that I know I'll need for the armor, although I do still have some unknowns? Part of why I'm here, I suppose!

I have mainly a question about how long to let the paint dry- I have my base layer done, it's in the process of drying tonight. The can says that it'll be fully cured in 24hours, but I'm wondering if I really need to wait that long to apply/start on the next layer? I don't want to be impatient, I'm just trying to go as efficiently as possible on this.

Pre-paint image
EOD Helmet 1.jpg

Post-paint images
EOD Helmet 2.jpg

EOD Helmet 3.jpg

There should be another number on the can that says you can apply another coat in a couple hours(varies per can), but when you go to sand or apply another brand/color of paint, you should wait the full curing time or longer so that the paints don't mess with each other or seal the uncured paint under the new coat

Nice! What type of paint are you using?

Hey there! I'm using Rustoleum, specifically these two buggers:
EOD Helmet paint.jpg

Each of the paints except for the metallic are the kind on the left- a car buddy of mine recommended it- he had used it before, said it sticks REALLY well to any surface, so I gave it a shot. That and I figure I won't need a primer this way.

There should be another number on the can that says you can apply another coat in a couple of hours(varies per can), but when you go to sand or apply another brand/color of paint, you should wait the full curing time or longer so that the paints don't mess with each other or seal the uncured paint under the new coat
Hey man- thanks for the advice- I decided to follow it, just did the metallic layer tonight- gonna wait for another 24 hours, then will come the main base color!

Current progress pictures-
EOD Helmet 4.jpg

EOD Helmet 5.jpg

EOD Helmet 6.jpg

Hey there! I'm using Rustoleum, specifically these two buggers
Cool, I was just kinda worried because the glossiness in the first picture made me worry it was enamel... how horrible that stuff can be. That metallic looks good, I'll have to look for it at Bunnings.

I came in here to say your work is looking great! Then I saw the color choice... and red team would like to know your location.

Lol jk, looking good!
Stealing their flag, of course! Lol-

Thank you! I just got the secondary color on last night- going to take some pictures of that soon and work on the last color tonight.

Little more progress- used a lot of painter's tape on this step, buuuut a little bit of the red managed to slip past- I scraped it off as best I could and then used a marker, for now, thinking i'll see if I can't come up with a way to make some of the spots look "Weathered" later down the road- for now, the black paint will be next, and then i'm thinking i'm going to attach the rebreathers- still deciding how I want to go about that, if anyone has any thoughts?

EOD Helmet 7.jpg
EOD Helmet 8.jpg

Ooh! I forgot that even existed! I'll look around a bit when i'm in town tomorrow, but I have some rubber cement on hand- I wonder if that wouldn't do it???
I wouldn't know :shrug: sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back