First Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I paint, I don’t know what it’s called but is there a way to get the right texture on there? I’ll post updated pictures in the morning before I do anything else to get some criticism.

Not sure what you mean. You should sand to smooth it out since it is resin. Start with lower grits and go up to higher? Then there is filler primer or primer, sand. And then paint.

Just painting the resin will make it look like an older iron pocked metal. Which is good for like Hawke from Dragon Age but probably not for a Spartan.

I see now that I may have forgotten to mention that I used bondo
47F2B1D3-12EA-457B-A566-C725F1C1BE8A.jpeg
907F6B5D-CF3C-4BFC-BDAE-E732AA098F26.jpeg

Looks good! And yeah, just fill all the holes n such and then maybe wetsand up to 400 if you want it glassy smooth. A lot of "texture" can be simulated with paint or so depending on what you want. I made an Amon mask for my friend that was smooth as butter and then the paint just added like a tiny bit of texture just because that's how the particles are

I looks like it has heft to it! But from what you said earlier, that's good that it looks but isn't!

That box cutter was my first one! It works just fine.

I don't know how people can get the ones you can extend out and then sharpen on a sharpener. It never sharpens for me....thoughbI know I'm probably just doing it wrong somehow.

That box cutter was my first one! It works just fine.

I don't know how people can get the ones you can extend out and then sharpen on a sharpener. It never sharpens for me....thoughbI know I'm probably just doing it wrong somehow.
It probably isn't you... I have had three different knife sharpeners, and they un dull them, but never get the knife to a great sharp quality... :unsure:

It probably isn't you... I have had three different knife sharpeners, and they un dull them, but never get the knife to a great sharp quality... :unsure:
I've noticed that too with my foam cutting. Finding it less of a hassle to use the sharpener for a bit until it's rough and just break away the blade.

So 4 days later I’ve finally finished. I’ve spent about a total of 20 hours on this (mainly staying up late until 4am) and I think it looks really good. I’m a little scared to bondo it because I’m afraid I’ll lose too many details. Also it is a little big on me but I’ll just make another one if it looks too big compared to the rest of the armour.
93957A03-EB7F-4654-8FE9-010C9EC2F1A3.jpeg
22D4043C-4CA2-4E45-9564-5DACDF44E2D1.jpeg

Atleast reinforce the inside and then resin it. You shouldnt lose any detail with bondo as long as you work and apply in very thin layers in small concentrated areas. Whatever you do, don't think it's going easy and dump it all over the helmet like I did :b

Bondo is used to take away the angles and help make it round, as well as fill gaps. Small layers will be ok, and you can get CRAZY good detail with it if you put in the work.

So here’s the semi-final product. I still have to paint it the final colors tomorrow. I’m thinking about going back later and adding more details after I get more experience but I think that might mess it up. Either way I’m pretty happy with the results and I’d like to thank everyone on here that helped out. I probably would’ve gave up after I cut the paper out on the forearm if it weren’t for you guys’ help
5071B00C-CE24-4398-AFDB-71D5045EE327.jpeg
37C9B67C-8A38-40EC-A91D-825F062D9445.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back