First... I'll need a snowmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, id Just want To point out I'm posting this thread for the sake of discussion and sharing ideas. I would like to do this but currently don't have the skills or budget to do so.

Now as for what I want to do is make a working Halo 3 Ghost. As stated, for my idea I'll first need a snowmobile. I would rip off the skies in the front and replace them with tires. Then I'd figure out how to replace the tred in the back with 2 tired.
I'll be taking a year long class on Metals Techknowledgy. Do I can weld together a rough frame and then attach it to the snowmobile. Then Fiberglas and a sweet paint job.

Ideas, questions, comments?...

Have you thought about using the Can-Am Spyder?

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/Home.aspx

Its basically a reverse trike. Its fairly new, so might be difficult to get just for a ghost project.

You could also do a search for a "reverse trike kit" and get a bunch of hits for motorcycles to convert, might be easier than using a snow mobile. Also check out the T-Rex Motocar. Its a reverse trike car that might give ya some ideas.

The spyder was my first idea, but doesn't the whole front of the body turn when you make a turn?
And don't you also have to insure it?

No, just the front wheels. Ive test ridden one. The front wheels are the only thing that turn. and it has a flat turn, so if you use it, the wings wont end up scraping the ground.

The spyder looks way more stable than a snowmobile would. Since your putting more framework and metal (and wings for god sakes) I would think it to be more safe and suitable for your ghost project. Although I am not sure about the price of one of these things, all I know is:

I WANT ONE!

After learning that a spyders wheels are the only thing that turn I've got to agree that it's the best corse of action. I'd obviously get a used one, but don't you still need to insure them? And do you need a motorcycle license or just a normal one all you need?

A Spyder is classified as a motorcycle by federal guidlines, so you would need a MC endorsement to ride one. And since it is a road going vehicle you would most likely have to insure it, but i know in FL, you arent required to have ins. on a motorcycle if you dont want to, but are still liable for any damages you cause(you may be required to have ins. if you are making payments). Check your local state laws on motorcycle insurance guidlines

Well I'm in California and we have all these BS laws. If I have to insure it and get a motorcycle license then it's not worth the trubel... sad as it may be

Well I'm in California and we have all these BS laws. If I have to insure it and get a motorcycle license then it's not worth the trubel... sad as it may be

there is a pep file for the ghots's body that you would have to scale up. but sounds like a good project.

Because with an ATV you can hide the two rear tires.

( each bullet point is a tire )
A quad is set up like this
•------•
--------
•------•

I'd make my set up like this
-------•
• •-----
-------•

With the was the rear tires are lined up I can actually hide all the tires.

Had this same idea this summer. Kinda decided against the snow machine (thats what we call them in the Great State of Alaska :p ). You could make it out of a 3 wheeled go-cart.

scorpionfront.jpg

Something like a modified version of this.

Well why not this, scrap the snowmobile, and take in a notch down from go-cart. Just get the engine and steering system from one and integrate it into the custom frame that I'd make in my metal tech class. That way I can make the rough outline of the ghost instead of having to make some kind of exoskeleton.

Well why not this, scrap the snowmobile, and take in a notch down from go-cart. Just get the engine and steering system from one and integrate it into the custom frame that I'd make in my metal tech class. That way I can make the rough outline of the ghost instead of having to make some kind of exoskeleton.

That sounds like an idea. I just thought of something. I know in FL and NC(where i live now) anything under 50cc and under doesn't need a MC endorsement. So you should check and see what CA says about it. Now if you don't really plan on riding this thing everyday, you might wanna go that route with a pocket-bike or something and make a 3 wheel conversion for it.

Your best bet, from an engineering standpoint is to weld a frame together from bent tubing, in the geenral shape, use the large front compartment as a engine area for both engine and transmission, and control it like a tank. The rear wheel can caster (rotate and turn freely) and can even have some kind of suspension. the front two can have tighter suspension, and the whole thing is driven like a tank; the left and right wheels are throttled independently when you steer using a set of hydraulic or mechanical transmissions. then make a fiberglass body and send it out for paint.

I can even help you in the design phase if you really are planning on making this thing.

Heres an image i made awhile back. Its not much but it might be helpful.

ghost2.jpg

If you take the engine out of a snow machine you have to also think about the transmission.
I think most of them work by centrifugal force but you might want to do all your homework before tearing anything apart.

Aktaylorh, what you've got there is an idea for the basic frame. I'd add a little more to it for the fins on the forward body. something along the lines of this, but not exactly like this because it doesn't mach up.
http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x478/chitwood1775/Ghost/?action=view&current=6046946f.jpg

Kasaron: I'd be very happy for some help because although I do have some mechanical Knowledge but it's pretty limited.

How fast would a 50cc engine get something like this going?

Not very fast, though it'd depend on the motor and gearbox. Might be a good idea to go electric with this, actually. It'll be quieter, and you'll have almost no restriction when it comes to motor power. And it'll be easier to set up tank-like controls, since each motor drives a different wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back