First Pepakura Spartan Armor Project (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another update. This is where I'm currently at right now. Here are some pics of my wife's helmet after I resined the inside of the helmet:

I'm just gonna add one more coat of resin to the outside and then start fiberglassing the inside of it. Don't have any gloves as of the moment so I gotta wait for a bit. Now, here are some pics of my helmet after I primed it:

So the bondo still stands out a lot even though it's been primed. I'm plannin on trying to sand down the clumpy pieces of bondo with a Random Sanding Orbiter. What do ya'll think? Think it'll work?

yes, I used a R.S.O. for my whole build but there are a couple things to remember.

RULE: 1 Be careful ( even a small twich can have damaging effects)

RULE: 2 know the sandpaper and speed of the sander ( if you have huge bumps it is still better to use a lower speed)

RULE: 3 know the mode [most R.S.O.s have 2 modes 1) your basic spin and 2) the orbiter mode. the orbiter mode is better for fine sanding and the spin mode is better for taking down large areas of material quickly.]

don't try to fit an orbital sander into small places as it is likely to damage the sander (use a dremal or sand paper by itself)

hope this helped.

yes, I used a R.S.O. for my whole build but there are a couple things to remember.

RULE: 1 Be careful ( even a small twich can have damaging effects)

RULE: 2 know the sandpaper and speed of the sander ( if you have huge bumps it is still better to use a lower speed)

RULE: 3 know the mode [most R.S.O.s have 2 modes 1) your basic spin and 2) the orbiter mode. the orbiter mode is better for fine sanding and the spin mode is better for taking down large areas of material quickly.]

don't try to fit an orbital sander into small places as it is likely to damage the sander (use a dremal or sand paper by itself)

hope this helped.

It definetly has helped. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I'ma definetly remember these tips and I'll apply them when I use the orbiter if not tomorrow then definetly Monday and I'll put some pics up :)

Hey guys. Sorry it's been a while. Been MIA for a few weeks cause of work. But now things are starting to cool down a bit so I got some more free time recently and I've been getting back to work on me and the wife's halo armor. I put together the pepakura front part of my wife's torso and I'm currently working on her back piece, she put the 2nd coat of resin on the outside of her helmet, and I rondoed the outside of my helmet. Specifically in the spots where I messed up before with just plain bondo. And I gotta say, it looks MUCH better then before. Once it dried a bit, the wife used the RSO we bought a few weeks ago and used it to sand down the rondo and it looks SO much better. I'll take pics of it and put it up later. And thank you guys SO much for the advice. It's helped us out tremendously :)

First off. . . Welcome to the 405th.
It looks like you've done some homework and are off to a good start.
If you haven't seen Cereal's Build Thread I'd definitely take look at it. He's got so many good videos in it. He has a separate thread Here with just his videos.

The Rogue helmets have a lot of angles in them and appear difficult to round over. I wish I'd seen this earlier, but what I'd recommend for it is fill the inside with rondo or bondo in the areas you need to round over and then take a rasp to plane it out on the outside so you wouldn't have to use so much bondo on the outside. You would go through the paper, but that's why you would add in the extra bondo or rondo to the inside. It would just save on weight is all and maybe a little time sanding. I know you're in the Army, but even kevlar and half jacket helmets get heavy after a while. :p Been there and done that too. :cool

Not nitpicking or anything, but your torso looks a bit on the large size in your pic of it. The back looked really good, but it just looks like the front is a bit wide for you. Could just be me though.

All of your pep work looks really clean. I wish you luck with being able to get to the event that you want to get to. Keep at it and I'm sure you can make it in time.

Keep up the good work and +1 sub here. I really want to see where this one goes.

First off. . . Welcome to the 405th.
It looks like you've done some homework and are off to a good start.
If you haven't seen Cereal's Build Thread I'd definitely take look at it. He's got so many good videos in it. He has a separate thread Here with just his videos.

The Rogue helmets have a lot of angles in them and appear difficult to round over. I wish I'd seen this earlier, but what I'd recommend for it is fill the inside with rondo or bondo in the areas you need to round over and then take a rasp to plane it out on the outside so you wouldn't have to use so much bondo on the outside. You would go through the paper, but that's why you would add in the extra bondo or rondo to the inside. It would just save on weight is all and maybe a little time sanding. I know you're in the Army, but even kevlar and half jacket helmets get heavy after a while. :p Been there and done that too. :cool

Not nitpicking or anything, but your torso looks a bit on the large size in your pic of it. The back looked really good, but it just looks like the front is a bit wide for you. Could just be me though.

All of your pep work looks really clean. I wish you luck with being able to get to the event that you want to get to. Keep at it and I'm sure you can make it in time.

Keep up the good work and +1 sub here. I really want to see where this one goes.

Thanks for the welcome and for the links :) I'll definetly be sure to check em out. How long were you in the military? Did you like it?

As far as the torso is concerned, no I think you're absolutly right. I thought it was just me this entire time, but yeah everytime I look at that pic I can't help but notice that it does look kinda wide on me. I meanI'd never be able to tell cause when I put it on it feels like it fits perfectly. But yeah, I'll try to see if I can make smaller. Argh, back to pepping, lol.

Thanks for the good wishes and I'll definetly keep you guys posted. Today I'm gonna continue rondoing my helmet, fiberglass the inside of the wife's helmet, and continue working on the back piece for her torso. Pics will be up later.

How long were you in the military? Did you like it?

I was in for 4 1/2 years. Was 11B (infantry) and reclassed to 95B (Military Police). I definitely enjoyed my time in. Got to see a lot of places I may not have on my own. Well, when I wasn't deployed to the Balkans or somewhere else. LOL!! I was on track with all the training I went to to be a lifer, but had some issues when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. They wouldn't give me orders to assign me state side somewhere near home. So, I opted to get out. Way I saw it is they could mess with me about anything (and they did) and I wouldn't care . . . unless it was family.

hey man where did you dissapear to?? this looked like it was coming along.

lol, sorry. Been extremely busy with...life in general, lol. And I was actually coming back to this post to update it and lo and behold, you actually asked how my armor was coming along. Never thought someone would actually remember this, lol. Either way I'm glad to know people on here are still interested in seeing how my progress is coming along :)

Moving on from there though, in the months that have followed since my last post I have definetly kept working on my armor and am proud to say that I'm almost finished with it. Just in time too seeing as how New York Comic Con is right around the corner and I am definetly attending for sure. I ended up starting over on my Rouge helmet completely seeing as how the clumpy bondo issue turned out to be...well...to much of an issue, lol. It just completely ruined the helmet and everything I tried to do afterwards just wasn't fixing the problem, so I started over and made a new helmet. As for my wife's armor, we both determined that it was gonna be way to late for me to finish her armor in time for NYCC so she's cosplying as something else instead. Which is unfortunate, but I'll definetly finish her armor in the future. As far as the rest of my suit is concerned, I already pepped all the individual pieces for my suit, got em all resined and fiberglassed, and I'm currently on the sanding/painting phase. Once I'm done there, all I gotta do is buy the black undersuit and the visor, and then glue that onto my helmet and I'll be done :)

I'm gonna take some pics of my progress so far and post them up later on today. So until then, ttyl :)

So I uploaded a bunch of pics, but then my PC crashed, lol. So since I don't feel like uploading all those pics again I'll just upload this pic and continue tomorrow.

1175158_704271089587481_238772997_n.jpg

So here are my bracers so far including the pic above. The spaces that are metallic I'm going to fill in with some blue spray paint later on.

1238070_704271116254145_172826344_n.jpg

933983_704271179587472_663387722_n.jpg

Here are my shoulder pieces. On the left shoulder I'm going to put the words "UNSC" in a metallic spray paint and on the right shoulder I'm debating either putting my logo from my character on Halo or the Puerto Rican flag.

1185994_704271372920786_586899575_n.jpg

And here are my thigh guards.

1239778_704272006254056_779475051_n.jpg

1233573_704272036254053_1657490158_n.jpg

1229912_704272062920717_1940535196_n.jpg

1006073_704272082920715_161234730_n.jpg

The only pieces not shown here are my torso piece and my helmet and I'm currently working on those. So yeah, I'll put up some pics of those later.

Ok so here are some pics of my torso piece and my helmet. I'm ALMOST done. All I gotta do is paint all these metallic pieces blue, and then get he visor on and I'm good to go :)

1234968_706303179384272_1970675822_n.jpg

1175053_706302932717630_484228273_n.jpg

1236395_707979742549949_692204536_n.jpg

1184977_707979695883287_63670719_n.jpg

Alright so after a year and a half of hard work, my wife and I finally got my halo armor about 95% complete. So I wanted to share this with you all and thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the help and advice you all have given me. So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my very first halo armor suit :)

1236243_714577111890212_945096387_n.jpg

553698_714577128556877_1672388161_n.jpg

The only thing I see wrong with it is that the thigh pieces came out to big. But everytime I tried to make em smaller hey wouldn't go up my leg. I kinda have big thighs, lol. That and the fact that I tried to use Velcro to keep some of the pieces in place, but the Velcro is having some problems sticking to my undersuit. Oh, and for some reason, I can't seem to walk when I put the boots on. It just makes it very uncomfortable so I'm thinking about using regular army issued combat boots and painting them black. Any suggestions to tackle these issues is GREATLY appreciated. Apart from that, feel free to let me know what you think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back