First Set Of Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texnical

Good Afternoon All,

I am sorry I have not been very active since joining the forums, however I was on a tight timeline to finish my suit prior to halloween. Since it is all said and done I figured I would post some pictures for everyones critique. At the end of the day I used 65lb paper and the I used mudglassing to finish the inside as opposed to straight fiberglass. I would highly reccomend the mudglassing technique, as it proved very solid for my application and was very easy to do. I will try and take some time to write a quick tutorial on it. Anyways thanks to everyone on this forum as it was essential to helping me meet the tight timeline. Please let me know what you think about the costume.

[attachment=13237:October 2009 066.jpg][attachment=13238:October 2009 070.jpg][attachment=13239:October 2009 071.jpg][attachment=13240:October 2009 074.jpg][attachment=13241:October 2009 076.jpg]

I have already got the PEP files printed for the high def suit, and the helmet is about 30% done. As for the files, I used the Robogenesis model. The fit was good, other that I am fairly skinny and I had to install a little bit of padding to get everything to sit right.

hmm...mudglassing, if you say it is easier than fiber glassing the inside. Then I might have to give it a try, because everyone I talk to says fiberglassing the inside is quite challenging. And I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to fiberglassing.

BTW, great suit :^]

Hope mine comes out as good as yours.

Looks great! and mud glassing is definitely the way to go. So much easier, and you dont have to worry about air bubbles.

It is easier I found, because like you I have very little experience with fiberglass. Basically all you do is mix 1 part bondo with 1 part resin, then double the amount of liquid hardener. So I mixed 4oz batches, so 2oz of bondo with 2oz resin, and 56 drops of liquid hardener(14 drops per oz). after mixing it well, just pour it into the shope and roll it around to cover your area. After about 1-2 min start laying in your fiberglass sheets. I cut every sheet about 3" square and then a pile of little pieces to fill in the gaps. once the fiberglass sheets is in, let if cure for 20 min (max) and start the next section. I found every piece took at least 3 batches at 4oz and the chest took 9 batches. Hope this helps you. remember to ensure the the fiberglass sheet is pressed into the mixture so that it absorbs the resin/bondo otherwise it will be everywhere. I also found that fiberglass cloth was easier and cleaner to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back