First Spartan III build (3D print)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I done a fair bit of melting and filling with some spare PLA+ for now and am planning to bondo and sand it over again. Wasnt planning to use resin before now but I am definitely considering for the whole armor now that this has happened.
Keep us posted on how that turns out. I'm planning to reinforce areas of my suit as well but unsure of the best methods to take.

Keep us posted on how that turns out. I'm planning to reinforce areas of my suit as well but unsure of the best methods to take.
I decided against resin reinforcement on this build unfortunately, just too much work I'd have to redo. I do have an airsoft/paintball ODST build in the works that I will definitely need to reinforce so if I get the time to work on that between classes and my current build I'll put up a thread.

I do have an airsoft/paintball ODST build in the works that I will definitely need to reinforce so if I get the time to work on that between classes and my current build I'll put up a thread.
Psst... the 405th and protective gear for airsoft and paintball don't mix well:

That being
Psst... the 405th and protective gear for airsoft and paintball don't mix well:
would it be fine to have a thread for reference to resin reinforcement of a build as long as I dont dont mention anything about protective reasons?

That being

would it be fine to have a thread for reference to resin reinforcement of a build as long as I dont dont mention anything about protective reasons?
People talk about using resin/fibreglass as reinforcement a fair bit here so that'd be OK - just, like you said, make sure it isn't for personal protection.

So imagine this:
Be me, spend a couple months on a build.
Makes pretty good progress learning about post processing 3d printed cosplay.
Learns he gets into school program that hes been waiting on for a year.
Has to move to St. Louis for school.
Packs costume extra secure for moving.
Makes it to St. Louis
Surprise nothing broke on drive!
Starts setting up appartment.
Decides to hang up wooden shelf from high school with velcro....
Decides to set really nice looking helmet under said shelf................
Shelf decides to fall a day later...........................
Helmet almost becomes scrap.
Lucky super glue held really well.
View attachment 308971View attachment 308972

I didnt take any pictures before I welded it back together but there was a pretty big dent in it near the front and some pretty bad cracks throughout.
Oh geez, it would have been a nightmare if it happens to me. Glad you found a way to fix it! :/

Got around to the base coat on the helmet today

20210905_182526.jpg

20210905_182518.jpg

20210906_213752.jpg
20210906_213730.jpg

Now that you've seen it pretty I've started scuffing it up a bit. Going with a "less is more" approach with wear and tear.

20210907_185217.jpg
20210907_185227.jpg

I realize you guys cant see just how much I've done with these 2 pictures but there are a lot of spots that draw the eyes in person.

As I'm starting to work on the painting of my armor I've decided I want to go a little crazy with the lighting. I want to try and put some LEDs and have some light effects being able to run. I've looked at some things you can do with neopixel and an Arduino but I was wondering if anyone had some experience with rigging them up in their own suits. I've got 11 sections in just the chest and back (and another 2 for the thighs) that I want to light and I'm not exactly sure how I can accomplish that yet.

Help would be very much appreciated.

With what was supposed to be my self appointed deadline coming up tomorrow I've been working hard to finish at least the majority of the armor (trying to make a new visor still). I've got the base coats on everything done and am just working on details and weathering.

20211030_123745.jpg

20211030_123408.jpg
20211030_123448.jpg
20211030_123422.jpg

I've been trying to imitate a light coat of mud on the boots but paint isnt a the best substitute for real mud.

Still gotta finish the visor, a little bit of paint work, and lights but I did some suit up photos with some of my old and unfinished props.
Screenshot (10)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (11)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (12)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (13)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (14)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (15)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (16)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (19)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (24)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (25)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (27)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (22).png

I filled in where the visor should be with the color it should be. Also a close up of the damage I added to one of the thighs.

Also i add some of my tests and pictures that I dont post here over on my Instagram, feel free to give it a follow. @emp.frosty

Hey! If you're still looking for some files, there's a fantastic 3D-modeler on Etsy, and on the forum, who goes by NerdForgeDesign. He's got a TON of options from Reach on his storefront, and from what I've seen/heard they're all really high quality.
Wait, ignore that lol. I didn't realize that you literally mentioned NerdForge earlier in your thread... :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back