First time armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRI667

Jr Member
Hey all,
I'm new to the page and have been lurking around for a couple weeks now. Due to some discussions I've had at work and following the builds of a couple of the members here I've decided to build a set of Reach armor. The components of said armor being

Helmet: CQC w/CBRN
Left Shoulder: Recon
Right Shoulder: Hazop
Knee: FJ/Para
Arms: UA/Bracer
Utility: Tactical/Hardcase

I've found the peps for most of the pieces off of here: http://www.4shared.com/folder/CCB_6QwQ/405th_Pepakura_Database.html
I can't however find the pep for the CBRN helmet attachment, any help with that would be great.

My Goal for this armor is to accomplish one piece/set of pieces per month, and due to my horrible self confidence i wasn't going to post here till i had finished building at least one piece. That being said here is the helmet minus the CBRN.

CAM00211.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00213.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00214.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next in line is the shoulder plates and a ton more reading on resin and glassing before i attempt that
As always with creative forums, I greatly appreciate and constructive criticisim or useful tips.

I've still got this helmet sitting on my shelf next to the rest of my helmets, resined and ready for fiberglass. It was a challenging build to say the least, and I'd say you did a very good job. Keep it up!

Yeah it definitely wasn't the simplest thing i have ever done, the problem I'm having now is trying to find the scaling controls in my pep viewer. Shoulders were about 2 cm to small all around once assembled.

To scale the pep files, you'll need to use pep designer, not viewer. Open up the file in pep designer, go up to the top to 2D MENU, CHANGE SCALE, SCALE FACTOR. Then just put in the proper measurements. The helmet turned out great, I'll be keeping my eye on this.

you'll need to use pep designer, not viewer.

Good to know, seems i just got really lucky and the helmet fit like a glove the first time. Now i know to scale you take measurements of your own body and scale based on that, put it seems pep files use an overall size. How do you account for the difference?

A lot of scaling is trial and error. You can try to incorporate all the math you want, but in the end the only way to know for sure is to print it and build it. Personally, when I can, I build low definition pieces with the same dimensions as the high def parts until I reach an acceptable fit, then use those measurements for the high def part.

If you have the ability to export a Pep model into Sketchup, you can use that to take measurements more accurately, scaling it in Sketchup as necessary, then figuring out the overall dimension and transferring that measurement into Pepakura.

So i can expect to be building the same part once or twice, got it.

Now a question or two for the experts.

1. Is there a pep file available for the CBRN? I can't seem to find one. Or is it I'm just not looking hard enough?
2. What is the base armor set for reach (Bicep, shin, thigh, etc)?

Today's progress equates to the UA/HUL for the CQC and a Hazop shoulder that needs to be resized

CAM00215.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00215.jpg
    CAM00215.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 145
What is the base armor set for reach (Bicep, shin, thigh, etc)?

I don't know if there are any base armor files out there that most people use but it is mostly referred to as the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark V(B), or Mk. V(B) for short.
That B in brackets is pretty important by the way, it denotes the difference between noble 6 armor and Halo 1 master chief armor.

Good Day!, Marvin

Actually, I'm fairly sure that Noble Team was outfitted with the standard Mk V armour - the Mk V is simply the helmet set, which is so named pretty much because it's a privately-produced helmet, like the Rogue helmet.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that Noble Team was outfitted with the standard Mk V armour - the Mk V is simply the helmet set, which is so named pretty much because it's a privately-produced helmet, like the Rogue helmet.

actually the spartan III's were given specialty armor and not the normal Mk V armor variant. this was due to the nature of spartan III missions compared to Spartan II missions; because most of the time spartan III's were not always expected to return. so short answer is yes the spartan III's did have Mk V armor but it was a modified version.

actually the spartan III's were given specialty armor and not the normal Mk V armor variant. this was due to the nature of spartan III missions compared to Spartan II missions; because most of the time spartan III's were not always expected to return. so short answer is yes the spartan III's did have Mk V armor but it was a modified version.

Noble team weren't for suicide missions. The SPI S-III's were. I believe Noble team were pulled out to form a special unit, armed with Mk-V. Mjolnir is alot more expensive than SPI armour, if Noble team was a 'suicide unit' they would have been equipped with SPI, as the UNSC would not expect to get the armour back.

The armour they wear is Mk-V, though perhaps modified due to their size. Also, Mk-V has alot of permutations that are still considered to be "Mk-V". For example, in this picture from a Halo comic I believe, there are a decent number of Spartan-II's in their Mk-V (According to Halo wikis), most of which are varying permutations. So it seems not ALL S-II's were set up with the same Mk-V we see John wearing, so if they have different permutations, it would make sense for Noble team to do so aswell. Though I must admit, most of the armour looks like IV in the picture. But apparently not.

Oh god that was really off topic, I do apologize KRI667, your pep work looks really neat, I'll be watching. How's the scaling going for you, and what glue are you using? Peace. :)

-S420

So what i'm getting is that the base armor, for the reach spartan creator is the Mk V spartan? I just need to know what pep files i need to find for the thigh, bicep, boot, and cod.

@Spartan-420: The scaling is going alright I attempted the Hazop shoulder again but it still needs tweaking to feel right, i'm thinking about moving on to a different segment of the armor and then basing scale off of that. As for the glue I'm just using a generic brand of hot glue i picked up at walmat

I did same helmet had to resize UA three times before getting it right so I can relate, also it's not completely accurate. I wish the front part was wider at edge.

My wife's helmet is a Rosenda build and that ear section is a pain. You did a great job on your first build.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

@RYNO_666: The ear section was probably the biggest PITA on the entire piece. As for the UA section im not completely certain im gonna use ot as of yet, the piece im really looking for is the CBRN attachment but im not having much luck with finding it.

@Dorvack,Levity: thank you I wasn't sure how it was gonna turn out

Wow I hadn't noticed it wasn't in Database. I'm surprised it's not there since so many helmets use it.:)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Sorry to be off topic, I love that armor but I'm not sure those Spartans were s3's in the fall of reach were all the Spartans from John 117s batch the s3's weren't formed till after reach for those suicide missions, again sweet armor I fully like the helmet on of my favs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back