First Time Doing Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk358

Going to be doing the Bondo on my Helmet later today. Just wondering how thick should I be making the layers?
I have read and watched lots but I'm getting conflicting ideas on how. Any last minute pointers would be great :)

It doesn't have to be thick. Just put down a thin, even layer to start off with. Put down a layer, sand it smooth, put down a layer, sand it smooth, etc. You can use 80 grit to knock it down quick and get it some what even. Then you can work your way up to 180,320 etc., until you get the piece as smooth as you want. Also, Work in one area at a time. Do NOT cover the whole helmet at once. You'll quickly lose details and just might get overwhelmed looking at one big glob of body filler. Hope this helps and if you need anything else just ask. We're here to help. :D

My main worry was based on the thickness of the bondo cause I don't want to lose any of the detail.
It seems most videos I find show how to apply the bondo; They then cut away and are ready for the next layer (detailing already done, with the camera off)

I got a similar question: I'm completing my master chief armor (Halo4) and the bondo is taking forever (it is also my first time). I don't understand if that's correct or I'm just slow (or doing something wrong). For instance, imagine that you guy have to apply three thin coats of bondo in one piece of the master chief armor, let's say the shin or the thigh....How many hours of work you think you may need?

No offense, but why are you asking this here, and not in the proper "Help!" thread?

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26849-quot-Help!-quot-for-Fiberglassing-Resin-amp-Bondo

My thought was, this was a thread about bondoing and rondo would go along with that. And you posted a link to cereal's videos and cereal seems to like rondo versus bondo. So, I was curious if anyone knew what the advantage was. And I thought the answer would help myself as well as the person asking about first time bondo work. Seemed like something that everyone who was following the thread could benefit from. My apologies. I will stop posting.

To be perfectly honest, now that I think about it, every question in this thread could have been asked on the link that I provided. I don't mean to single you out, Halo'd One.

My thought was, this was a thread about bondoing and rondo would go along with that. And you posted a link to cereal's videos and cereal seems to like rondo versus bondo. So, I was curious if anyone knew what the advantage was. And I thought the answer would help myself as well as the person asking about first time bondo work. Seemed like something that everyone who was following the thread could benefit from. My apologies. I will stop posting.

Rondo is a bondo and resin mixture usually a first coat of 1 to 1 ratio. its used to go on really smooth. As normal bondo can go on like a paste , Rondo goes on like a liquid. a little easier but at the same time can get outta hand if you mix to much and have excess.

Rondo is a bondo and resin mixture usually a first coat of 1 to 1 ratio. its used to go on really smooth. As normal bondo can go on like a paste , Rondo goes on like a liquid. a little easier but at the same time can get outta hand if you mix to much and have excess.

What would you recommend on the outside of a Mark VI helmet? Bondo or Rondo? And inside, fiberglass or rondo?

And yes, I know the second part to that question has nothing to do with bondo, sorry.

To be perfectly honest, now that I think about it, every question in this thread could have been asked on the link that I provided. I don't mean to single you out, Halo'd One.

the noob thread is a couple hundred pages long. for the new comers to the forum that thread is like information overload.

What would you recommend on the outside of a Mark VI helmet? Bondo or Rondo? And inside, fiberglass or rondo?

And yes, I know the second part to that question has nothing to do with bondo, sorry.

Honestly, I personally would stick with using bondo for the outside. You have better control over it. Rondo is runny and it's not as easy to control where you put it and if you are new to all this and don't have a good grasp on how to "box off" areas, you will be disapointed with the outcome so you are MUCH better off using bondo for the outisde.

As for the inside, ESPECIALLY a helmet, stick with the fiberglass. Rondo can add a fair amount of weight and if you will be wearing your helmet for quite some time, that weight may take it's toll on you. You can use rondo in all the other parts. You mix it, carefully pour it and roll the piece around to cover the inside. In some cases, you can use a paintbrush to push the rondo in some places.

So I'm having a ton of issues getting the bondo smooth. I'm on my fourth layer now.
-filled the edges
-first layer was sanded down with 80 grain
-second touch up layer 160 grain
-went to do a couple touch ups and well it looks like the first layer gain.
I know my issue is with applying the bondo, but I just can't get it to go on smooth

Sorry about that:

IMG_2205_zps7fe74c07.jpg

IMG_2206_zpsd84f2d0f.jpg

IMG_2207_zpsc2970a4f.jpg

IMG_2208_zps65bf57e4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2205_zps7fe74c07.jpg
    IMG_2205_zps7fe74c07.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2206_zpsd84f2d0f.jpg
    IMG_2206_zpsd84f2d0f.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2207_zpsc2970a4f.jpg
    IMG_2207_zpsc2970a4f.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2208_zps65bf57e4.jpg
    IMG_2208_zps65bf57e4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 93
After 4 layers you still have these results? Well...I'm not an expert: I'm doing my first armor, but this is what I can tell you using all the suggestion that the great people here gave to me:

Are you applying only thin layers?
Are you avoiding to pass more than once on the same area while the bondo is not dry
Are working on small sectors?
Is the ratio bondo/hardening correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back