Should I use fiberglass or foam insulation spray?

• Fiberglass

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Foam Insulation Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGLord94

Hey guys. This is my first time making halo armor. I am currently in the process of printing out the Pepakura files on card stock and cutting them out. I have a lot of questions regarding what to do after I assemble it all. I know that a lot of people are saying to use fiberglass for the inside of the suit, but it looks really flimsy still. I assembled a bicep piece last year and used a lightweight foam insulation spray to fill it. It didn't warp at all and left it feeling pretty durable. I was able to cut away the excess foam so that I could fit my arm inside.

Does that sound like it would work well for the entire suit? Or should I stick to fiberglass?
Also, how do you guys get the chest piece on? What would you think about cutting it in 2 pieces and using buckles to connect them, or just keep it as 1 piece?

Thank you to all who answer! I can't wait to post update photos.

Hi RPGLord,

I personally like how durable fiberglass is. I've never used foam spray and I know that those who have have mixed reviews. Short answer, if you've used it and you like it then go for it!

Long answer, fiberglass is strong so long as you've coated the paper fully in fiberglass resin (two different things). And you make sure that the fiberglass pieces have no gaps between them. I've sat on my helmet a few times, dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete a few times and not even a scratch.... But, it is nasty to work with.

Yes, most people cut their torso into two pieces. Here is the video where CerealKill3r cuts his torso in half. There is another video for when he reattaches it.

For future reference, here is a compilation of a bunch of tutorials on our site that will help you through the whole process! Good luck and happy building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back