Flyerfye's Odst

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!

everything is looking amazing! I love the clean pep work

Nice guns to mod

I envy you for getting so much cookies :lol

keep up the good work!

Thanks again everyone! And thanks for the tinting tips, kokujo. I'll leave it the way it is for now and see how it looks in the helmet, might just have that nice "untinted" look we've been seeing a lot of in the trailers.

j0ey0x said:
wow those airsofts are sweet and you probably already know this but the smg and pistol you have are almost the same as the smg and pistol from half life 2

anyway where did you get that smg airsoft gun at?

I totally didn't notice that, actually, but now that I've checked it out, they're very close to the weapons in HL2 (haven't played it in FOREVER). The pistol is a H&K USP, and the SMG is a H&K MP7, a VERY COOL real world firearm. Seems both the Halo SMG and the Half-Life SMG are based on it.

I purchased both from airsplat, here's the link to the mp7. http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-CYMA-P1091A1.htm#STS=fzh3zusm.jbz It's a lame springer, but it has the right look (and I really don't plan on firing it ever). There are nicer ones out there, but this one's just for looks (and I plan on cutting big chunks out of it to make it look more like the Halo version).

Bleh, I hate being stuck at work all day. It's the best time to resin and glass, and I'm stuck in an office at a desk.

EDIT: Monday AM

So my plans for working on my armor all weekend were destroyed by a series of unfortunate cat-related events. D'oh. I'm fairly sure I won't have my helmet done for launch, which was a possible goal. Guess I'll have to try and work harder this week, then! (Yeah right. I'll probably end up spending most of my time on Xbox Live.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuffs lookin' good so far!

And I am totally digging that helmet. I printed it out and stared at it.. then said, "Yeah, no way." Too many small folds and nonsense like that. But it looks great, little to no warps.

As for that small warp on the jawline of the helmet, may I suggest using popsicle sticks? I've found that supporting it with those until I can resin the piece helps a ton. I wouldn't recommend holding it while the resin dries.. that just sounds like a bad idea. Haha.

Keep it up, though, can't wait to see how this goes. :)

very nice build, i like how its coming out. are you planning on the single piece visor, two piece or trying to heat-warp it to shape?

party pooper said:
great job love the helmet. Is the helmet hard to pep? keep it coming

Thanks! The helmet was a bit of a challenge, but it's definitely doable with time and patience (of which I have precious little). I'd say it's harder than most helmets I've seen on here, but not as hard looking something like the Hayabusa (although I haven't yet made one of those so I can't compare directly).

Drakku said:
Stuffs lookin' good so far!

And I am totally digging that helmet. I printed it out and stared at it.. then said, "Yeah, no way." Too many small folds and nonsense like that. But it looks great, little to no warps.

As for that small warp on the jawline of the helmet, may I suggest using popsicle sticks? I've found that supporting it with those until I can resin the piece helps a ton. I wouldn't recommend holding it while the resin dries.. that just sounds like a bad idea. Haha.

Keep it up, though, can't wait to see how this goes. :)

Thanks! :D Popsicle sticks are a great idea! I don't plan on keeping my fingers there while the resin hardens, now that I think about it. That'd be... yowch! A very bad idea.

Prophet said:
very nice build, i like how its coming out. are you planning on the single piece visor, two piece or trying to heat-warp it to shape?

I'm thinking of doing the 2-piece, but plans might change, ya never know. Ideally I'd like a vacuum formed visor, but all the ones I've seen in production by others are designed to fit the other ODST helmet, and I don't have the equipment to form one myself.

So I'm loath to go another day without a proper update on my progress with this thing, but sadly my weekend got taken over by some real life stuff, and I've mostly been messing with figuring out how to use Pep designer, printing, cutting, and scoring, so sadly no progress pics yet unless you want to see a pile of unfolded forearm pieces all over my desk. This weekend I'm keeping my schedule open for resin, fiberglass, and bondo! Maybe if I work all weekend, I can have my helmet done for release! (Yeah, big dreams that are never gonna pan out, I know.) Now, if you'll excuse me, my spaghetti is becoming overcooked.

crazyTERMINATR said:
so it sounds like you plan on doing the same thing with ur guns as my sniper build minus the functionability factor lol

Yep, guess so! I'd love to keep the functionality, but I can't find a side-feeding airsoft gun that'll work for the SMG. The pistol might still end up being able to fire (despite the fact that it's a lame springer). I might try and make some full-function ones in the future, but right now I've got my hands full just working on the armor, so I'm trying not to make large plans for things that aren't going to happen for a few months. :)

The Stig said:
How difficult would you say the helmet was in pep?

Honestly, with Ral Partha's unfold, it doesn't look any harder than a MkVI HD helmet (although this is the only helmet I've ever pepped, so take that with a grain of salt). Most of the pieces are nice and square and fairly easy to fit together. It's just a very time consuming build (especially all those little grooves in the top section) that requires a lot of patience and attention to detail (and extremely careful scoring).

Fealon said:
Very nice work so far man. Just wondering where did you get that forearm?

I'm new here :p

Hey, welcome! I was thinking of being condescending about looking for yourself, but then I looked and I couldn't find it either. I do believe it's somewhere within the pages of This Thread, and I recall spending about 20 minutes reading every post until I found the right one. I keep getting questions about these pep files, I may have to make a big resource page or something.

Flyerfye said:
Hey, welcome! I was thinking of being condescending about looking for yourself, but then I looked and I couldn't find it either. I do believe it's somewhere within the pages of This Thread, and I recall spending about 20 minutes reading every post until I found the right one. I keep getting questions about these pep files, I may have to make a big resource page or something.

Yeah, I decided to look through threads, but wasn't having luck, so decided to ask if you knew where it was at.

and Thanks, I'll look for it in there.

Flyerfye said:
Oh my God he's got cookies for eyes.

So! Updates! I got home from work today to find some very excellent packages on my desk. One containing these two (very sucky) Airsoft guns.

guns01.jpg

I'm hoping to mod these into passable versions of the M7S and M6C using whatever junk I can find laying around. The red dot sight on top I had in my personal collection, and is worth twice as much as the gun it's on, weirdly enough.

guns02.jpg

Link to where you got these guns?

-Stig

thanks for the location of your wip and weps, as a suggestion i think you should just resin the pieces to retain the unique coloring :prainbow bright+ODST ftw... it reminds me of the hello kitty darth vader costume.

Great work, as a fellow 405th member with ambitions for a great halloween costume good luck and Ill keep an eye on this to wish ya the best!

Thanks guys!

SwedishNinja: Good luck to both of us on our overly ambitious projects. :D

So I've got a question for those of you looking at this thread today: What should I work on this weekend?

A. Pep as many files as I can

B. Work on getting one part closer to completion (helmet maybe?)

C. Work on the weapon mods

Honestly, all of these sound good. I'd prefer to do all my steps in order (pep every piece, then resin all of them, etc), but I also want to get one part done (like the helmet) so I can show off. :pAnd a few people have been asking me about the weapons, so I'd love to work on those. So many parts, so little time!

EDITATIONS: So I spent a little time with my pistol today after I got home from work (I know I said I was going to work on the SMG earlier, but that thing needs a of planning before I start and I don't have all my materials ready yet). Did a very quick template and cardboard test of the "silencer" part of the gun, I'll be cutting that out of sheet plastic once I get my shipment of it in, this was just to make sure my shapes were close enough. I also added some duct tape in the magwell so the magazine stays in while being only half-in, leading to that extended mag look of the M6C. The back end still needs to be extended, but I'm going to wait until my plastic comes in on that, I think. Might end up being trial and error, since I don't want to calculate the exact thickness of the plastic. Also planning on adding a little thickness to that magazine, it's looking a bit scrawny, and also working on some quick versions of the laser and light below the barrel. Fun times!

m6c01.jpg

Apologies for the double post, but this is something of an update.

So! I finished up the right arm's bracer on Friday, and moved on to the shins (ugh.) I sort of want to re-unfold the pieces, but now that I've done one, I want to make the other one symmetrical with it, which means not changing the unfold. Oh well! I may try to do another unfold, hopefully to make it easier for OTHER people to build these dang shins. Now that I know where the problem areas are, I might be able to fix them. Pics inbound!

shin01.jpg

shin02.jpg

Also got some of those free gloves in that thread from a while ago(although they're really too huge for me, free is free). I don't have the link on hand, but if anyone wants it, I'll dig it up.

Here's a group shot. Hunh, this looks much more impressive when it's all laid out. I guess I'm making some sort of progress!

group01.jpg

The chest piece turns out to be too small, and the shoulders as well. I'm thinking I'll just keep these pieces, and upgrade them after I get a passable version of the suit together, just so I have something out the door as quickly as possible. The worst part about the shin? I have to do a second one. That's up next. Then kneepads and center plates and hip plates! (I don't know about the thigh pieces, those are sort of an "if I have time" thing, I think.)

One of these days I'll have the good sense to post in the middle of the day so this thread doesn't get lost in the night between when people log off, and when they log on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back