Foam Technique Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I can explain with out pics but if I had a piece that was a bit too wide then I would make a kinda thin moon shape to glue on the inside of the piece to pull it in a bit. You just have to make sure you pull the piece in till the glue is completely dried as it will try to pop back into shape. Still, the bicep looks really nice, good clean seams.

I get the idea well enough, I actually use a thin line of super glue on my outer seams before I secure the mwith hot glue. That way the glue has no way of seeping through! just odst is foam, bicep is glassed. Gee I wish they still did the Elite status bits. They use to have "noob" (not shown really) Then infantryman, then a few specials would get "Elite" You deserve that!

Ah yeah sorry I see now. I keep forgetting the reach bicep and shoulders are 2 pieces, doh! The MKVI is all one piece. What I meant was the shoulder pad is looking sweet :)

Thank you for the kind comment. I just wish I had more time in the day to get more tutorials done then I would feel a bit more elite. I must say my new build (posting later today) is some of the best work I have done so can't wait to show it off :)

Edit: i would recommend getting your clips from eBay they are nice and cheap and you can get packs of 50 or so, that's how mine came. Now I have enough for any builds I make. Also for some pieces (not sure how they would be usefull for a reach suit) but I have been using press studs or snap fasteners, we call them poppers in the UK. You need to make some thick plastic backings so you have a more secure base for them. I tried them just on the foam but when you push the 2 pieces together the foam gave no resistance and the force could not be applied for them to snap together. When I post my pics later you will see what I mean.

Great. Now I can spend the rest of the day hitting refresh...

Lol. I have just been doing some adjustments to the build. About to try it on and see if I am happy. If so will start getting the pics online :)

I'm gonna watch these tuts to death. :) Can't wait when I get a moment to lol.
Also Drak are you going to make it to mcm this october?

Hehe I am flattered. Hopefully i will have some time to do the full helmet build tutorial but its hard when my free time is at night. I was going to do a CQB helmet but as I am making an Ironman suit then I may as well record making that.
No I can't afford it this year but have started to make arrangements for next year so there is no way I can miss it then :). Its a shame cause I really wanted to be there as I know a few of us 405thers will be. By next year I think the hardest part of attending will be which suit to wear as I am sure I will have many by then with the list of "must make that next" :)
I really want to make something that will make me 12-15 feet tall :D

Hope you have a great time at MCM and make sure you take LOTS of pics cause I love seeing con pics.
Tom.

absolute needed tutorials. all in one place. thanks for sharing sir.

No worries man. I will be doing the video diary of the helmet soon but 2 things are not as I first planned. I was going to do the CQB helmet but seeing as I don't really need one I will film the Ironman helmet as I need one for my new suit. The second thing is I don't know how relevant it will be as I am going to be using Plastizote and the stuff is far too easy to work with. The techniques are the same but it kinda feels like cheating because I can slightly undercut the angle then slice 0.5mm to 1mm splices off till its perfect if I want. It's like cutting butter :)

Loving the tut. Very helpful, I am going to foam from paper. I am still wondering on one thing, is how you size the measurement the same or not? Can anyone help. I know how to size for pep but not sure on foam.

Loving the tut. Very helpful, I am going to foam from paper. I am still wondering on one thing, is how you size the measurement the same or not? Can anyone help. I know how to size for pep but not sure on foam.

Cheers man :) I've been doing it exactly the same as for scaling pep. Now my helmet is finished I will be working on 2 projects. One for classifieds and the other for me :) The one for me is a new helmet because I want to do some variations for my suit. It will be made of foam so I will be filming it from start to finish. The video tutorial/diary will include everything from sitting at the computer to holding the finished product. As a bonus I won't stop there though, I will be plastic coating it so will do videos on that too as there aren't any videos out there showing the techniques needed.

Cheers man :) I've been doing it exactly the same as for scaling pep. Now my helmet is finished I will be working on 2 projects. One for classifieds and the other for me :) The one for me is a new helmet because I want to do some variations for my suit. It will be made of foam so I will be filming it from start to finish. The video tutorial/diary will include everything from sitting at the computer to holding the finished product. As a bonus I won't stop there though, I will be plastic coating it so will do videos on that too as there aren't any videos out there showing the techniques needed.

I forgot one more question. Do you still print on cardstock or just use regular paper?

Yeah and compared to the total costs of the suit, a pack of cardstock isn't that expensive, it'll last you for a long time (foam needs less pieces compared to pep) and your templates are more robust and can survive to be used for replacement parts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back