Gas Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

antzombie280

Jr Member
B)hey i got these gas masks from the police station, from the sargeant. He said i can take as many as i want. I work for the city as an IT technician so don't try goin to the police station and ask for a gas mask lol
[attachment=5779:post_753...01_thumb.jpg]
[attachment=5780:post_753...35_thumb.jpg]
[attachment=5781:post_753...67_thumb.jpg]

the filters say they keeps out CN, dusts, fumes, mists, and radionuclides

Does the filter say anything about organic vapors? It seems that the mask *might* work, but I wouldn't use it till you track down the manufacturer's specs for the filter and confirm that it's rated against resin fumes.

here are the specs on the cartridge

[attachment=5748:817590_pict1_sm.jpg]
817590 MSA Advantage - Advantage CBA/RCA Cartridge
Advantage 1000 Gas Mask Cartridge, Bayonet Mount Canister, Chemical /Biological/Riot Control Agent. Effective against biological and chemical warefare agents including Tabun, Sarin, Soman, VX, Mustard, Lewsite and are NIOSH approved for protection from Chloroacetophenone (CN), Chlorobenzylidene (CS), P100 particulates. 6/Box

NIOSH approved for CBA/RCA agents
Full protection against all known biological and chemical agents
Third party tested against chemical warfare gases
Excellent protection against Sarin (and its surrogate DMMP)
Designed for protection against chemwarfare gases
Used by the majority of federal and local agencies
Particulate filter is over 99.99% efficient against all particulates and is
appropriate for protection against biological aerosols.
Slim profile perfect for face sheilds and helmets
Permissible Canister for P100/CS/CN ++​

Last edited by a moderator:
baddog9000 said:
I use a cheap 1dollar mask and that does me good. I'm sure that will keep your brain cells happy.
Those one dollar paper masks do nothing to prevent you from inhaling the resin fumes, just invest in a good respirator that protects you from resin vapors.

Also, I have no idea whether or not that police gas mask will work, but you may be able buy replacement chemical filters if those don't work.

@antzombie:
That filter looks to be good to use against resin fumes. I looked through the list of agents that it protects against and most of them are organic vapors, so you should be good there. Thanks for putting up such good specs, that makes checking quite a bit easier.

@baddog:
That paper dust mask isn't protecting you at all against fumes. You need a cartridge filter with activated charcoal to adsorb the resin fumes. Paper is good for dust particles, organic molecules run right through it.

koobs said:
Those one dollar paper masks do nothing to prevent you from inhaling the resin fumes, just invest in a good respirator that protects you from resin vapors.
Also, I have no idea whether or not that police gas mask will work, but you may be able buy replacement chemical filters if those don't work.
Mines has a mini filter in it. Its not made out of paper it has layers of cotton.

Those police masks are like overkill for resin.. You'll be fine using that..
I got a place near by that sells these funky looking biological/nuclear rubber masks. I think they're 10 bucks each.
Gas_Mask_GP_5_GP_7.jpg

I'm sure what the police use is much more filtering than a standard 30 dollar respirator from the hardware store, plus, it looks even cooler.

AoBfrost said:
I'm sure what the police use is much more filtering than a standard 30 dollar respirator from the hardware store, plus, it looks even cooler.

Agrees, shoot, even I wish I could get one of them..

baddog9000 said:
Mines has a mini filter in it. Its not made out of paper it has layers of cotton.

Do you mean something like this?
8812mask.jpg

These are only for sanding. They don't protect at all against fumes.

If it doesnt say NIOSH approved, you're going to be in the hospital soon with lung problems.

I admit I havent been using a respirator all this time until recently, and my lungs feel alot better than holding my breathe and slowly breathing while resining, I can breathe freely while I have my 20 dollar respirator on. I bought it at menards, i forget the brand, but lowes and home depot wanted 30 dollars for the same model, everything at menards is cheaper, even resin, bondo, putty, brushes, everything you need for armor making.

Bondo at meijers and walmart cost 9-10 dollars, menards sells it for $7.88, putty cost 3 dollars at walmart, menards sells for 2.50.

CPU64 said:
Those police masks are like overkill for resin.. You'll be fine using that..
I got a place near by that sells these funky looking biological/nuclear rubber masks. I think they're 10 bucks each.
Gas_Mask_GP_5_GP_7.jpg

Call of Duty 4, anyone?

Anyways, I'ma call up my local police office and see if I can get my hands on one of those awesome looking gas masks.

Armor making just got cooler.

Loess said:
Do you mean something like this?
8812mask.jpg

These are only for sanding. They don't protect at all against fumes.
Kind of like that just has a different look to it.

baddog9000 said:

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $20-30. It's better than a ridiculous medical bill because of lung disease.

There was *another* member who thought he was immune to the effects of resin, and now he is secretly a laughing stock. Don't be like him.

KEEP IT CLEAN!

baddog9000 said:

Then I have the same, or a very similar mask that I use for sanding.

To work with resin I have this:
glass-032.jpg

This respirator has filter cartridges filled with activated charcoal to catch resin fumes.

A respirator is cheap, replacement filter cartridges are cheap. Hospital stays are expensive.

Protect yourself like Antzombie has.

Antzombie, sorry about jacking your thread for a safety lecture. :unsure:

Loess said:

glass-032.jpg

This respirator has filter cartridges filled with activated charcoal to catch resin fumes.

A respirator is cheap, replacement filter cartridges are cheap. Hospital stays are expensive.

lol no problem man, i value saftey just as much as the next guy, you couldnt have used my thread for anything better :)

Oh and im stzrting a new thread to show all the different types of masks that i have and, idk if there is one yet but ill make a resperator thread :)

Loess said:

glass-032.jpg

Alright, I'll invest in a respirator I am going to Lowes tomorrow thanks, Loess you save me lungs.

hmm, I might have to put on my most innocent 14-year-old look on my face and ask the police id they have any of those. It certainly is better than the mouth-nose only masks, I always find it difficult to keep the glasses on with the mask in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back