General Questions to my first Spartan Armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

karuzo

Hello,
my name is Jonathan and I'm 21 years old. I am a German who got addicted to Halo 3 in 2008. I have played all games, read the most books and really love everything around Halo :)

The cosplay scene in Germany is not that big but I knew for a long time that there are some dudes, building Spartan armors in real life. And I want to build one for myself since I saw it the first time.
Now I want to get my hands on this project. I have no experience in doing cosplay stuff or building armors etc. But I am good in crafting and building things, I restored an old car for example. So technically I'm good to go.
Money is not a problem but it shouldn't go over 2000$.
Time also doesn't play any role, I calculate with over a year (600+ hrs).
The armor should be near perfection. Many people use simply a black bodysuit as an "underarmor" for example. I want to make that better. I want to create a really awesome, detailed, realistic Spartan armor :D!
To my questions:

I know some dudes building the armor out of foam. But does it look really good? I mean it's a soft material. Do they harden the parts in any way?

What are the pros and cons using foam or fiberglass+bondo?

I think it's called Paperkura? Is it a good base to build the armor? How do u start if u don't use it? Are there many different halo armors I can print out or even relatively new armors like from halo 5? (I didn't decide yet which armor I want to build exactly)

Do you stuff out your armor pieces with foam to make sure they sit tight on the body? Because I saw a guy from the side and could see through a gap between the chestplate and his chest.

Do you know of any attempt to build a halo armor out of metal? :D would be epic but I don't have the skills/tools to do that.

What other kind of materials beside fiberglass, eva foam, bondo, paint etc are good to use?

How fast can u drink 1.5 litre beer? (My record is 34sec)

How do I size the armor? (When working with paperkura) I mean not everybody has the same bodysize. I don't want to start building it just to realize I can't wear it :D

Do u have any tips that improve the agility? And is there a way to minimize the sounds some armors make? I don't want to sound like a huge plastic toy running around^^

How difficult is the electronic stuff to build? (Lights at the helmet, some at the armor, maybe a fan in the helmet)

Which power tools make the whole building process a lot easier in your opinion?

Is there any mistake u have done while building ur armor that u want to warn me of? (Is that correct english? lol)

How much money, hours, tears I will have to sacrifice approximately to finish this project?

Do u think I can finish it? (Haha of course I will finish it :D)

I am sorry for all my grammatical mistakes, my english is not the best.
I also want to thank u very much for answering my questions!

Friendly regards, Jonathan

Hi karuzo and welcome to the 405th! There is tons of information on this site including lots of tutorials and threads of people asking the same questions you have. So first, lots of reading, then lots of searching out the answers to specific questions you have and then if you are still lost we are here to help!

I'd like to direct you to the sticky found in the New Recruit section. In this stuck thread you will find some helpful information. Be sure to click on the first few links, the third one is a nice little overview manual.

It sounds like your mind is in the right place to finish a suit. It requires a lot of determination. Along with time and money. I would guess that to make a high quality suit like you are looking for it wouldn't be more than $1000 and probably closer to 300 hours. There are a lot of variables though and both guesses are high.

As for doing fiberglass/bondo or foam, I would say that the fiberglass/bondo would get you closer to the "metal" look you are after. Don't get me wrong, foam is great, it's lightweight and easier to work with. You can get great results too, but it seems like a bigger gamble to get the premium end results. Pepakura (fiberglass/bondo) is pretty straight forward and reliably good in the end, just a lot of work.

This is an old list, still pretty helpful. It will give you an idea of the kind of materials you will need for doing pepakura.

Another thing is to just find threads of people buidling suits.. some of them have loads of good detail in them. I've been trying to keep an accurate materials list and time on my current project. I even mention other threads and a scaling tutorial in my second post that you can check out.

As far as mistakes, all I can think of is starting with something small like the handplates. That way you can practice all the steps and if you mess up you won't be out much time or materials. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide to do!

Thank u PerniciousDuke for ur detailed abswer. Since i posted the thread i already started to read and search through various other threads. There are some really epic projects going on! I also discovered the thread of sandbaggers iron man suit and it's one of the most epic things I ever saw! I just wanted to make it easier for me to get answers to the questions haunting my mind :D but planning is an important part and so I will take my time to search all informations I need.

Greetings Jonathan

Sounds good, man. Sandbagger is a god among men, that much is clear. :D

Also, not sure how fast I can drink a beer, but my keg stand record is 53 seconds. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back