Getting Iron-Man's boots right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuildsByBaz

Sr Member
I have a few questions about the boot in regards to pep/fibreglass/bondo building.

dd8M5LO.jpg

As you can see, the pep file shows the boot in three pieces - the toe, heel and main shoe. The main shoe looks like it may be two-piece. Is it? What are the two extra circles for?

Obviously I have to find a shoe to fit inside the main pep shoe and measure it from toe to heel to scale it properly.

A couple of things have been bugging me.

Is the toe part supposed to swivel/articulate to aid in walking movement? If so, how?

Surely a fibreglass and bondo outer show would crack and break with the full weight of a person in it? I can't see how this would support a person without breaking.

Any links or suggestions as to how this has been done in the past would be appreciated.

Sandbagger.

I would think that you would definitely want to hinge the shoe somehow, to avoid the "frankenstein" look when walking. As you pointed out, the circular indentations would be indicative of an excellent hinge point, but I'm at a loss for exactly how you would go about accomplishing it. As far as keeping the boot itself from being crushed in a traditional fiberglass method, perhaps you could approach it as a foam build.

-Matt

Personally, I built my new MKVII boots out of foam, using gorilla glue to keep it together. Gorilla glue on foam will not break/unseal. AT ALL.

The boot holds together surprisingly well, only downside is those dreaded wrinkles.

I'm planning on riveting on some plastic pieces onto a plasti-dipped+Gorilla glued boot for Iron Patriot (my current build, hopefully I can hide the wrinkes then), I'll attempt to keep my build updated on how that goes :p

On a very related note, I saw a couple of Space Marine builds that literally put a hinge onto their boot:

7152677609_51a9d94b82_o.jpg

7152677635_921a37a49d_o.jpg

Original thread for Space Marine boots:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/vacformed-warhammer-40k-space-marine-armor-finished-suit-pics-p-17-a-122015/index16.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back