Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear wheel need not be actually powered; just have one of the handles control each front wheel. both wheels would be powered and could turn in any direction. It would take some getting used to, and you'd have to be careful and have safety measures (don't want half the Ghost going each way) but you could turn (one wheel goes faster,) spin (wheels go opposite directions,) strafe (wheels both go to sides,) etc.

Another (very fancy) idea would be to use spherical wheels (sort of like a trackball mouse) and have a computer controlling it, though that would be complicated to say the least.

I hope that was understandable...

huh! and i thought i was the only one who thought that this would be a kewl idea. what i was thinkin was butchering and old segway dealy. one wheel per side, sit on a roller/caster wheel off something like a wheely bin. small smoke machine blowing out of the bottom and some purle lights to get the 'hover force feild' to look right.

this is quite expensive but it would literally be Pergect.

its called the Spyder Motorccle

2 front wheels.

You know, if you go with wheels, there is one drivetrain type that can move like ghosts do.. omniwheels.
Lucky me, I built robots... this guy I know in Hawaii made one:

As you can see they can turn in place and move in any direction without turning to face that direction. In theory, you could dial down the speed of the "turn" control and up the "translate" control, and I think it'd be exactly like a ghost.

Don't try it offroad, though. Omniwheels are basically a big wheel with lots of smaller ones, so not a lot of clearance.. plus there'd be massive inefficiency offroad.

I can see a 3-Etek(15hp electric motor) vehicle as a great base for a ghost, very powerful, and pretty quiet. You could probably go with a custom steel frame and chain drives, sealed lead acid batteries for cost.. controllers, probably something current-limiting is best, maybe this: http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/dirt_e/2/2.htm or some derivative thereof.

You're looking at a few thousand dollars for anything nice, be aware..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really wanted to make something like a ghost, Id say your best bet would be to strip something small like a scooter down to its frame and engine, build a light weight frame from aluminium tube and make a basic shape from sheets of ply, then fiberglass the ply and build up the the smooth curves using foam and more fibreglass. It wouldn't go fast, but you wouldn't want it to, it would probably disintegrate if it hit anything. the main problem with a project like this is that you'd need a pretty large workspace, at least a good few hundred dollars to spend fabricating the body, you'd also need a decent working knowledge of welding. not impossible but, at the end of it you're going to wind up with a very cool looking but completely unsafe and un-road worthy scooter that wont go very fast. You'd be far better off buying a Hayabusa bike, and saying "cool, has the same name as a halo suit" then driving away VERY fast on it.
hayabusa.jpg

I swear i've seen this before, and i posted something on it too, but i don't appear anywhere....
Hmm... could this be a new post from the same person?

Either way, it's a good idea if you got the funds, and time for it.

you probably know just as much as i do its gonna burn a hole through your wallet and bank account.

if you really wanted the strafing thing you could go with a hovercraft
Thats not that bad an idea, I saw an episode of mythbusters a while ago where they made little hovercrafts out of old vacuum cleaners. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back