Glue melting in the sun.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterio116

So I have been using high temp hot glue for my entire build. Got all the pieces done and took them outside to start putting plastic dip on and after a few minutes (73 degrees) they started coming apart in spots. So my question is this... once i reconnect the pieces and get them reinforced, do you think ill be ok to wear them at an indoor convention? Will my body heat melt the glue? The last thing i need is for my cod piece to fall off in the middle of the show...lol.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

For my builds, I reinforce the glue by gluing along the inside of the seam.

I also glue craft foam or old jean denim to the inside of the seams to add that extra flexibility without the tearing.

Glue coming apart is common in foam builds so it will happen eventually, but it's always good to reinforce as much as possible to prolong the piece's life. Also be sure to bring a "med pack" for your suit when you go to conventions. I usually keep a pouch with a small glue gun, some glue sticks, and maybe a tube of superglue just in case something decides to snap on me.

Hope that helps.

did you put any plasti-dip on them before they started coming apart or did they start coming apart without plasti-dip?

I've noticed occasionally the plasti-dip will sort of "melt" the glue a little, and some pieces will pull apart slightly, and mixed with the heat from the sun they might pull apart more, if not then I have no idea, I've never heard of anyone having the glue melt in the sun, but I'm no expert on hot glue I guess xD

Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but if you read the can of plasti-dip it says "for best results avoid direct sunlight" so maybe it has some sort of reaction with the heat or something and its pulling it apart

It might be the material your using expanding in the sun and it is separating the glue.

I think mwmanus was correct about it being from the plasti dip being used in the sun. I noticed that when pulling apart the glue wasn't really sticky. It wasn't stringing up like you would expect.

I would assume I'm at least partially correct, as I do most of my plasti-dipping in my basement where theres only one window but the blinds were closed and its kind of cool down there too and I never had any problems with the glue coming apart until recently when the weather got a little warmer around here and I opened the window and the door to let a little fresh air in, and the sun was shining through a bit, a few of the seams came open, not much, but enough to be noticeable. I've been spraying with everything closed ever since and haven't had any problems, so maybe it was just the mixture of the plasit-dip, the sun, and maybe the heat too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back