Glue problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobtastic19

Happy holiday Spartens. I come bearing questions. I've been using hot glue as my adhesive but it's just way to bulky and to thick among other issues. Is there any other glue you guys suggest besides Elmar glue? I need this new glue asap. Any of you have any ideas?

Contact Cement my friend, it is the way you've been asking for. The name of the brand defers depending on your country but I know in Canada it's called LePage and the US is Dap. Look into it a bit and see what you think, it's what I and several of my fellow Spartans use and highly recommend it.

If using for a paper build I use hot glue. Try squeezing the trigger on the glue gun lightly to barley make a small tear drop of glue come to the tip of the glue gun. Put that on the tab, and smooth it flat with the tip of the glue gun, by working it back and forth. I usually start at one end of the tab, working to the other side. A bigger or longer tab may need a couple, or more tear drops of glue. Hope that helps. I prefer hot glue because it can be re-heated, just in case something needs to be re-adjusted.

Other adhesives I use for paper are Elmers glue and super glue. I personally use Elmers glue. It doesn't cure as fast as super glue or hot glue but it gives me plenty of time to align tabs and I think it's easier to work with (super glue gets messy for me). If you're planning on hardening your piece, I would recommend staying away from hot glue. I used hot glue for the longest time but I ran into issues when sanding my armor. When you start to sand your piece down to the hot glue, past the paper, the hot glue isn't exactly sandable and you'll end up with a hole that needs to be filled with bondo. Elmers glue and super glue on the other hand are sandable and they can leave a nice texture without creating any unnecessary work when sanding.

Best of luck on your project!

Contact Cement my friend, it is the way you've been asking for. The name of the brand defers depending on your country but I know in Canada it's called LePage and the US is Dap. Look into it a bit and see what you think, it's what I and several of my fellow Spartans use and highly recommend it.

Uh, Schankerz, I think he's talking about paper pepakura, not foam. When using paper, I'd suggest just using super glue. It's cheap, it dries fast, and holds strong. The only downside is that its easy to glue your fingers together, but when using hot glue you can burn yourself easily, so it's not a major downside.

Uh, Schankerz, I think he's talking about paper pepakura, not foam. When using paper, I'd suggest just using super glue. It's cheap, it dries fast, and holds strong. The only downside is that its easy to glue your fingers together, but when using hot glue you can burn yourself easily, so it's not a major downside.

Yeah....I figured after I took a longer gander at his post, ah well, if he ever feels like switching over for something he knows what to do.

Yeah....I figured after I took a longer gander at his post, ah well, if he ever feels like switching over for something he knows what to do.

Happens to the best of us:D He didn't specify in his post anyways, so maybe he was talking about foam

My favorite glue for Pep is Aleene's Quick Dry or Turbo Tacky Glues. They give you about 10-15 seconds of play before they set and hold very well. Best of all, if it gets all over your skin, it washes off like Elmer's school glue, so clean up is easy. You can find it at just about any craft or hobby store and even at Wal-Mart.

I've been using Duco Contact Cement. It's almost the same cure time as super glue but you have a bit longer time to readjust the piece into proper position. Also you don't stick your fingers together as much. 1 tube can last for a long time. I have 1/2 a tube and will finish a full helmet before I run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back