Glue Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aultin

For those who are having trouble figuring out what type of glue to use, I suggest that you use Gorilla.

gorilla.jpg

This drys a bit slower so I suggest taping the area on both sides then glueing. Once dry remove the tape from the outside of the piece. Remember to gently remove it to not cause the cardstock to mess up. This glue may dry slower so you must work longer but it is great and gives you more flexibility to fix your mistakes. I highly recommend this product. If you have any complaints just post them and I will help you.

EDIT- I know people are probably like this: :mad: " How do I do this exactly!"

So I will explain in more detail. While glueing remove both caps and dip a toothpick slightly into the glue. Wipe off most of the excess glue. When taping remember to use very small pieces of tape so that you can get as much glue on as possible. And to make it easier to remove. Anyway spread the glue evenly over the flap and the inside surface of the piece. You may have little tme to fix mistakes but it is more than other glues. Once it is glued you can add more pieces. After the day is done. Let your project drie over night and in the morning try to gently peel off the tape. Then resin and fiberglass as always.

Hope this Helps.

-Aultin

Aultin the Spartan said:
For those who are having trouble figuring out what type of glue to use, I suggest that you use Gorilla.

gorilla.jpg

This drys a bit slower so I suggest taping the area on both sides then glueing. Once dry remove the tape from the outside of the piece. Remember to gently remove it to not cause the cardstock to mess up. This glue may dry slower so you must work longer but it is great and gives you more flexibility to fix your mistakes. I highly recommend this product. If you have any complaints just post them and I will help you.
Thanks, I have a question. OTher people say that certain types of glue will dissolve in the resin. Is this true and if so what types of glue do dissolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not totally sure if this does because I am not at that process yet. But this glue is very strong and is waterproof. I believe it can withstand the resin. If it does not please me with my resining I will ask to have this topic closed immediatly so not to confuse other first time makers such as myself.

I would buy Gorilla just for the epic packaging! Seriously though, I loved using hot glue, worked perfect. The only issue I had was when I messed up a fold or 2, it dried to quick and I got a bit of ripping when I tried to fix it, but it was absolutely no problem at all. Also, I used a Low Temp hot glue gun, a higher temperature (if you can get them) would probably work best.

Yes but another advantage of this is that it is cheaper and easier to find. I find it in my tiny Wal-Mart while I can't find some cardstock. While hot glue is pretty expensive, if you have a low budget, and is harder to find in small towns.

Aultin the Spartan said:
I am not totally sure if this does because I am not at that process yet.
How can you recommend a product you yourself have never used through the resin process? ;) I find that highly irresponsible. Might as well say, "Yep, I saw this at the store, got a big animal on the front, must be great!"

Why don't you try it first, and THEN come in here and write a glowing review. People in here are confused enough as it is without you adding untested advice.

BTW, hot glue is NOT expensive. 2 bucks for a mini glue gun, maybe 6 for a package of 20 mini gluesticks. I could build a whole suit with 20 gluesticks.

BDigital978 said:
Do you guys have any issues with the bulge that the hot glue makes on the cardstock after it dries?

You shouldn't. Try to use a little less hot glue, instead of just putting a bunch on the flaps, just lightly hit the trigger and make a thin layer of it. That works. If you end up with a bulge of glue sticking out the edges, just wait a few seconds, pinch the bulge with your fingers and yank it really fast. This should break the glue clean off. If you end up missing one, you can just sand it away later.

Well sorry. I am just recommending a product that holds up. I said I will post my experiences. Also this glue is very inexspensive. I am talkin bout mabye a buck a bottle. For a good result I would rather spend a buck then 8 bucks. And I am just trying to list some alternatives for people who live in small towns who do not have super walmarts that they can just drive down to and pick up whatever they need. And mabye people are on a budget.

gorilla glue expands if you put too much on, and then it wont come apart. tip for hot glue users, when your glue dries before you need it too, just slowly move the nozzle over the paper to warm the glue back up. Don;t worry it won't burn the paper.

I didn't say it was perfect. And in the instructions I said to get a small amount and wipe up the excess.

Hot glue= teh win

Gorrila glue has been used by some members here previously when we first discovered the pepakura program (half a year ago) and it came out with lackluster results and reviews. I agree with the simple fact that don't promote anything until you've tried it and have some sort of info that documented the pros and cons of the process.

You do have some good initiative though.

Oh and to keep lumps out of the hot glue, you squeeze the flap to the piece while it dries. That flattens everything out.

Edit: please shrink the sig dude, it's huge

Sigma-LS said:
Hot glue= teh win

Gorrila glue has been used by some members here previously when we first discovered the pepakura program (half a year ago) and it came out with lackluster results and reviews. I agree with the simple fact that don't promote anything until you've tried it and have some sort of info that documented the pros and cons of the process.

You do have some good initiative though.
Oh and to keep lumps out of the hot glue, you squeeze the flap to the piece while it dries. That flattens everything out.
Edit: please shrink the sig dude, it's huge
What do you mean my sig is huge? It is littler than the guy who is arguing me.

So maybe a $1 you say? hmm... but if it is only 2 oz. of glue, you'll end up spending the same amount on it as for hot glue...

oh wait, I've used Gorilla Glue for a Halloween costume for my nephew, he fell once and teh suit just started coming apart...

DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE ON PEPAKRA MJOLNIR ARMOR!!!!

sorry Austin, but it's a dollar, what do you expect? Yeah, it isn't all that great, your suit won't last as long as if you were to use hot glue...

NEVER EVER NEVER use high temp glue gun. i got a hole in my side from one. :mad: it was on and it fell on me and now i got a hole in my side so please if you use one be smart and careful.

The gorilla glue we have around here is about $5 for a 2oz bottle. If it's a buck where you are, you must live in the gorilla glue capital of the world, or the store has a surpus and it's on sale or something.

It's okay to be helpful. But there's a difference between speaking from experience and speaking from...well, just speaking. I spoke up because you started a thread touting the wonderful effects of gorilla glue, only to post a bit later that you have never used it through the entire build process. People browse these forums to learn from others who have been there, done that. So please, go there, and do that, before posting advice topics.

@Durlaburban: most of the glue guns people use here are of the low-temp variety. Hot enough to melt the glue, but that's about it. Sure, you'll burn yourself if you knock it into your lap, but then again, you'll likely fuse your fingers together if you work with resin without gloves. It's all about personal safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back