Goku's Pep MKVI Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gokussj5okazu

Ok, well I started on this about a week ago, and have worked about 7 hour an evening, and about 20 hours just this past weekend. I started with the helmet, using poster board since that's all I had. There's a few spots that were botched up, but I managed to straighten them out easily enough. In intentionally left out the visor pieces because the poster board that I was using is very rigid, and needed no extra support.

helm01.jpg

There you can see it sitting on my noggin', almost complete.

helm2.jpg

There's a shot of it about 3/4 resined and fiberglassed. I work with very small portions or resin at a time, simply because I'm slow and it dries too fast. :whistle: Below you can see the inside fiberglass, and some more of the resining. The front, for some reason, looks bent, but it's really not.

helm3.jpg

The rest is still in the paper stage, but here it is. So far I have the chest, right foot, and right leg pieces finished.

chest.jpg

back.jpg

rcalf.jpg

rthigh.jpg

rfoot.jpg

Let me know what you think. :D

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for under-armor? I'm thinking of using either metal snaps or velcro to attach the armor to the under-armor.

very nice, be patient though, i got carried away on the spray paint, and it ended up a tad to bright.i sanded it down after it dried, repainted it blue, then speckled silver on it.its very nice now.

Ok, I just finished up another piece. Right bicep this time.

rbicep.jpg

tserrof said:
ty for the pics.. im now wishing i did the folds

Np. I find the folds to be quite detailed, I'm gonna have a bit of a job sanding those sharp sides though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use velcro... It's not reliable... I found that out right before going to Gamestop... :p... Had Gorilla tape rapped around the ends of the crotch to hold it on the sides... The the straps holding my thighs up pulled off cuz it was velcro... :\

You can get the kind of buckles and straps that come on backpacks. They're adjustable but will stay taut. :)

Just by the appropriate length of strapping et voila.

buckle1.jpg

buckle2.jpg

Pep is looking good! Keep it up.

:devil:
-Vex

Macattack64 said:
Don't use velcro... It's not reliable... I found that out right before going to Gamestop... :p... Had Gorilla tape rapped around the ends of the crotch to hold it on the sides... The the straps holding my thighs up pulled off cuz it was velcro... :\

Thanks, good to know. I kinda figured velcro would be too weak for the armor.

Dark Rogue said:
By right leg, do you mean both the shin and the thigh?

Anyway, keep it up. :)

Ya I meant shin and thigh. I should have the left ones done tonight. :lol:

Vexona said:
You can get the kind of buckles and straps that come on backpacks. They're adjustable but will stay taut. :)

Just by the appropriate length of strapping et voila.

buckle1.jpg

buckle2.jpg

Pep is looking good! Keep it up.

:devil:
-Vex

Thanks, I was thinking of something like that but I didn't know if they were sold anywhere. I'll raid the sewing department of Walmart for some this weekend. :D

Ok I finished pepakuring all of the pieces, and fiberglassed the right foot. Here's a shot of the helmet, 2 layers of fiberglass on the inside, 2 of resin on the outside, covered in plaster which is acting as my alternate to bondo. Yes I know plaster is much softer and doesn't bond as well, but I'm used to working with it. I heavily scored the resin with 40 grit sand paper before the plaster, and am going to be covering it in glazing once it's smooth.

helmplaster.jpg

If you look on the side, right under the crown, there's an indent. I messed that up by making one of the folds incorrectly. Fortunately I copied the mistake on the other side, so it just looks a bit off but it's still symmetrical.

So what do ya'll think of the plaster idea? I already did one coat on the top and it worked beautifully.

D!zzzy said:
the helmet is a lil big, but if your comfy with it

Nah, it just looks that way in the picture. It's actually a bit too small, but I'll wing it.

Edit:

Here's some pics of the helmet, after about an hours worth of work with nothing but a dremel and 80 grit sand paper.

helmplaster2.jpg

helmplaster3.jpg

The front of your helmet looks a little misshaped. And the plaster took out alot of the details. I assume you plan on putting those back in?

Besides that it's turning out pretty good.

for under armor i got some black a track jacket and pants from Costco for $15 each...ill just use that for halloween since its going to be cold at night

Evil Femle said:
The front of your helmet looks a little misshaped. And the plaster took out alot of the details. I assume you plan on putting those back in?

Besides that it's turning out pretty good.

Spartan1105 said:
for under armor i got some black a track jacket and pants from Costco for $15 each...ill just use that for halloween since its going to be cold at night

Thank for the tips, I'm working on a second layer of plaster right now that will add in the extra details. The pic below is the one I'm using for reference. The front is a little messed up looking from the side, but straight on it looks fine.

helmref.JPG

Here's after I added the second layer of plaster and cut out the details. It's really starting to shpae up, don't ya think? :D Ignore the silver paint, that was just for my next sanding, so I can see the low spots.

helmplaster41.jpg

This is after ALOT more sanding, some more patching with plaster, and a shot of paint. Tomorrow I'll pick up a good ole' can of Bondo and some glaze. The plaster works great for large pieces but is no good for the small details.

helmred.jpg

Murakumo said:
nice job. keep up the good work

Thanks.

I've having a bit of a problem with my fiberglass right now, it's not wanting to cure. I glassed the left foot yesterday, in about 65* weather, and it's still tacky. About an hour ago I glassed the rest of the left appendages and they're still extremely wet. I've got all that sitting in front of a heater, so hopefully that will help. The weird thing though is that it's all turning bright green. :unsure: That's never happened before and I've fiberglassed quite a bit of stuff. Even last week, using the same resin and glass, it turned dark yellow like normal. I guess it's the temperature difference, but I didn't think it's turn bright green. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back