Soft Parts Good For Odst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I feel that this vest is a bottom line product. You get what you pay for and that is a cheap un reliable low quality vest. I wouldn't buy this at any point in my life ever again. "

That is the 1st customer review.

It sounds like it might be sewn poorly, and easily starts to become un-stitched. If you have any sewing experience, that may not be an issue for you.

As for it working for an undersuit... I'm sure you could get it to work, you will have to lose some of those belt pouches for it to look right.

All in all, you usually get what you pay for.

Good- Luck.

FTW,

Techbot

Hey man, I actually work with military gear so its what runs in my blood. Thats a chinese rip off of an Blackhawk Industries chest rig.

I REALLY do not reccomend buying molle gear that cheap. Basically dont buy anything chinese made unless its emdom usa.

I'd go with the first one... it's cheap, and prob a POS, but how often will you wear it? If there will be allot of uses, get a better quality... if once or twice a year, get the first one. You can always upgrade next time around.

great guys thanx for all the help your right, i only go to like 2 conventions a year! so...I'm gonna go with the POS! lol

personally i would go with the second one because i've got a swissgear hiking bag which ive had for nearly 2 years and it's taken a real beating still in great shape

just my 2p

well yes, i know it is out of the norm, but i just want to mount the chest piece, and ab plates on there, and I think it would look cool under it.

Im not questioning it dont worry. What I am worried about is the strength of the stitching with the molle.I thin it would be cheaper to go to somewhere like diytactical.com, get a bunch of webbing together along with #69 nylon thread and make your own set up for mounting it. Or even still you could just get the thread and strengthen all the stitching where you mount things. It seems to be luck when buying cheap gear. Most of the time it will be terrible, but sometimes you get something ok. It will be interesting to see how you do it anyways.

Out of curiousity, what inclines everyone to use vests for their ODST undersuit? Vests wouldn't cover most of the key exposed areas.

I vaguely recall someone having identified the jacket that Weta used under their ODST armor somewhere ... might have to dig that up.

If it's found we should post it up here.

definitely sean please do post that, I still havent bought anything yet! so....im still very open minded to your criticisms! :)

Sean Bradley said:
Out of curiousity, what inclines everyone to use vests for their ODST undersuit? Vests wouldn't cover most of the key exposed areas.

I vaguely recall someone having identified the jacket that Weta used under their ODST armor somewhere ... might have to dig that up.

if you find it definitely post it up. id like to see what WETA used. but we chose our vest mainly because of the shoulders. it has a different design starting right above the chest that wraps over the shoulders and to the same point on the back. if you slap some ALICE pack straps over that and it looks magical. if the WETA design winds up being cheaper and more available, we might switch to that if you can find it, sean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Bradley said:

I chose a vest because it's more realistic and more familiar. WETA did an incredible job on the armor they built, but it just wasn't believable. No Marine I've ever worked with would have worn that stuff. So my selection of the vest was to try and find a happy medium between fantasy and reality. When it really comes down to it, nothing is going to be completely uniform. The guys are going to wear whatever is most comfortable for them, as long as it still meets the required specs.

Also, I think it's worth taking some time to point out the difference between the tactical vest and a protective vest. BOTH examples above (if we took the real world equivalent) are tactical vests and would offer no ballistic protection in reality.

Bingo! Well... sorta. I didn't find the post with the link to the undersuit that Weta used... I swear I saw it somewhere.. I'll keep hunting. Anyhow it was something very similar to this:

591-1-lg.jpg

Himalaya Motorcycle Jacket

Himalaya makes many styles of jackets similar to this.. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Weta used something from them.

So, combine that jacket with your Molle vest, and I think it's be indistinguishable from the Weta setup.

Weta used black BDU pants that should be easy enough to find... but I came across something that may be even better:

674-1-lg.jpg

Himalaya Motorcycle Pants

I also came across some very relevant information on Weta's undersuit and strapping scheme in SKG's Weta armor thread:

Spartan137 said:
Slight necro, but I have news from the Weta workshop! I've been talking with their PR person, and she's been really good about getting me information!

To start things off, Weta is no longer in possesion of their ODST costumes. I am unsure why, and I'm probably not going to ask, either. Rather sad, in my opinion. Those where great suits.

The plates where bolted straight onto the bodysuit, which are custom made BDUs that Weta created. We have no way of locating them ourselves. The bolts where cut short and padded to provide comfort to the wearer. With this in mind, I'm willing to bet that Weta's straps where only for show.

The visors where created with vacuum formers, much like how Rube has been doing it for some time, and how I plan to do it in the near future. Fabric dye was used to tint them.

Those are basically all of the big nuggets of information I was able to procur, and I hope this helps anyone who is currently working on their Weta ODST project!

Hope that helps everybody.

-Sean

Many military vests (or tactical airsoft vests, chest rigs, and the like) have very similar shoulder straps, and are what's used in the "We are ODST" short. This one's a good $40, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere, I'm sure.

Resized to 92% (was 550 x 550) - Click image to enlargeMOLLE-136.jpg
i found this in the Odst Strap Thoughts thread. it is the one used for the "We Are ODST" short. Picture and description are from Flyerfye's post in the straps thread.

yer that would work well as an ODST vest because of the straps and ease to put the armor onto it

I dono about using a jacket, you might aswell just attach the armor to a BDU black shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back