Grammar and punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

s meisters

Jr Member
First off, spell properly. This is one of my biggest peeves about forums. Just because you can use 1337speak doesn't make you "cool". Use Proper grammar and punctuation at all times. Violation of this rule will result in your post(s) being ignored, as well as being referred to as "Doug the n00b".

s-meister said:
First off, spell properly. This is one of my biggest peeves about forums. Just because you can use 1337speak doesn't make you "cool". Use Proper grammar and punctuation at all times. Violation of this rule will result in your post(s) being ignored, as well as being referred to as "Doug the n00b".

.... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
90% of the time I will use proper punctuation and grammar/spelling, but sometimes i'll say "lol" or "btw"

s-meister said:

Word...

Peace out (y)

Sometimes it's not the said to be "1337speak" sometimes it's just short hand... Like... with: w/ ; someone: some1 ; etc.

Leetspeak is like this

|-|3y j00 pp1'%$, u/\/\/\/\/\/\....h0\/\/ |)0 y0u m@|<3 arm0r LOL

I hate it when people use it, but I can read/write some.

Don't get me wrong. You don't have to type with flawless grammar while using big words like expository, and shorthand is good. But knowing your limits is also a good thing.

I haven't really seen people speaking like that... I have people missing letters, mixing up letters and completely killing words...

There's also a large difference between having poor grammar and not spell checking your post before posting it.

A good deal of my grammatical or spelling errors in posts simply come from typing out a reply quickly and not really caring to go back over it and make sure everything is perfect. I mean, I'm just posting on a forum, not writing a novel.

cgspartan said:
There's also a large difference between having poor grammar and not spell checking your post before posting it.

A good deal of my grammatical or spelling errors in posts simply come from typing out a reply quickly and not really caring to go back over it and make sure everything is perfect. I mean, I'm just posting on a forum, not writing a novel.
But the forums would run more efficiently if we didn't have to decode the DaVinci Code... :\

I concur. Some of the newer posters, not that im a venerable ancient member of this forum, more a mouthy n00b, post in some weird script that makes no compromises for little things like being able to read it without half an hour and a pad of paper to spare...

Macattack64 said:
But the forums would run more efficiently if we didn't have to decode the DaVinci Code... :\

Haha. I definitely agree. I was merely stating my point as someone with decent grammar and spelling that just happens to F it up with some typos here and there. :)

It's not so much the mauling of the language from the folks who visit from all over the world, it's the mauling that occurs from people who supposedly speak English as their native tongue. I'm a bit of an old codger - when I was in grade school email didn't even exist yet, so it's no surprise that I find this so-called "chatspeak" largely indecipherable. I get a few of the better known acryonyms, but full-on shorthand is a little much. The most atrocious thing I've seen so far is the kids who write 5 lines of text without so much as a period. It's okay when you're chatting with your friends on IM, but not so much in a forum where the exchange of ideas rests solely on each party understanding the other. That's tough to do when my brain feels like it's going to implode after reading some of these garbled posts.

I can understand if you're excited about something and typing fast, you're going to get typos - I get them, too, but then again, I know where my backspace button is :p. What I don't understand is how some folks can write as if they only possess a third of their keyboard and expect to communicate effectively.

cgspartan said:
Haha. I definitely agree. I was merely stating my point as someone with decent grammar and spelling that just happens to F it up with some typos here and there. :)

Everybody makes mistakes. We're humans, not MC ^^. But STILL! STILL! STIIIIILL! If you catch my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back