Graphic Artist Wanted - Need A Halo 3 Hud...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Boris: Both of those huds are great, but the second should probably loose the curve at the top of the hud, as that curve is created by the visor.

@Helios: Great job on both of those huds. Very Accurate, did you make these from scratch?

Thanks. Yeah, I made 'em from scratch, but used about three high-res screen shots as reference pics. The Elite one is actually the Spartan one with a curved shield bar, a different grenade indicator, and in teal rather than blue.
Oh, and I made them in Inkscape, it's a vector program, like Illustrator, so I'd think they're cross-compatible.

Wow - I was working with someone offline on this and hadn't checked back in on the thread. Great job all around! I agree that the curve in the one is created by the visor wrap-around but other than that it looks pretty snazzy. What would really make it complete would be to have each individual element separated (and multiples of each) laid out on an 8.5" X 11" sheet for printing. By making each element separate,they can be placed and arranged on multiple visor sizes rather that trying to recreate the whole thing as one image.

Thanks for jumping in on this guys - they really look great and hopefully when it's done it will be something that everyone can use... :)

I'll have to order up a visor for my helmet, to cut out the hud on my vinyl plotter and give it a try. might be awhile for me though, so if anyone else can try I'm sure everyone else would like to see haha.

Well, now we have the hud for the ODST

a_Halo3_Recon-03-layered.jpg

Actualy, Boris's 2nd hud looks very similar to the ODST hud.
[attachment=10036:H3_HUD3.gif]
[attachment=10035:hud.jpg]
other than the motion tracker not there and the grenades and weapons need to be inverted, and everythings yellow.....
[attachment=10037:ODST_HUD3.gif]
I changed it a bit. It is no where near finished, i will post it when i am done.

I've noticed a lot of the ones submitted forgot the fades. So here is mine with the fades. Presented on white for printing purposes and black so you can see the details more clearly.

To be honest, a transparent background would be the best for anyone to print, so that it could be put onto some kind of plastic or whatever that could be adhered to the inside of our visors.

I really hope you created a layered image in a raster? Otherwise removing the background w those fades would be a pain. Or if you have a layered image file on hand you could send my way, so I could do it myself, that would be cool. I have the newest photoshop, corel painter X, and GIMP.

Guardian Baku said:
I've noticed a lot of the ones submitted forgot the fades. So here is mine with the fades. Presented on white for printing purposes and black so you can see the details more clearly.

That's great! Thanks for bringing this back up, the artist I was working with got busy and I let the project drop. As these will ideally be printed on clear water-slide decals, a clear background would be best. It really doesn't need to be in a "HUD" layout, in fact it would be better if just the individual elements were arranged in multiples to fit an 8.5" X 11" sheet. Something like a line of "weapon/ammo" elements, a line of "grenade" elements, motion tracker elements, etc. That way you could maximize the number of elements per sheet.

Because everyone's visors will be slightly different, this approach would allow you to place the individual elements to fit your personal setup. I would also make the following recommendations:

- Making the individual images a good bit darker so that they would better show up

- Adding some Friend/Foe blips on the tracker

- No need for the 2nd visor "outline"

- Remove any artificial "perspective" - keep the elements 2D and let the natural curve of the visor do the work

- For scale. I'm thinking the shield-bar would be about 2-2.25" wide

If anyone wants to help tackle this, I would be happy to send you a sheet of decals when they are done... Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
That's great! Thanks for bringing this back up, the artist I was working with got busy and I let the project drop. As these will ideally be printed on clear water-slide decals, a clear background would be best. It really doesn't need to be in a "HUD" layout, in fact it would be better if just the individual elements were arranged in multiples to fit an 8.5" X 11" sheet. Something like a line of "weapon/ammo" elements, a line of "grenade" elements, motion tracker elements, etc. That way you could maximize the number of elements per sheet.

Because everyone's visors will be slightly different, this approach would allow you to place the individual elements to fit your personal setup. I would also make the following recommendations:

- Making the individual images a good bit darker so that they would better show up

- Adding some Friend/Foe blips on the tracker

- No need for the 2nd visor "outline"

- Remove any artificial "perspective" - keep the elements 2D and let the natural curve of the visor do the work

- For scale. I'm thinking the shield-bar would be about 2-2.25" wide

If anyone wants to help tackle this, I would be happy to send you a sheet of decals when they are done... Thanks!

Yeah, I might be able to. Just give me a week or so, and I'll see what I can do. I'll just be doing the deed with my own HUDs though. I have swapped computers since doing this, so I'm gonna have see if I can find out what happened to the original files...

yccars said:
To be honest, a transparent background would be the best for anyone to print, so that it could be put onto some kind of plastic or whatever that could be adhered to the inside of our visors.

I really hope you created a layered image in a raster? Otherwise removing the background w those fades would be a pain. Or if you have a layered image file on hand you could send my way, so I could do it myself, that would be cool. I have the newest photoshop, corel painter X, and GIMP.

I can make put together a PNG with the transparency in it. I'll post it later.

Edit:

Here is the PNG format image.

Good work with that HUD, Baku. Looks absolutely perfect for a spartan.

I'm trying to figure out an ODST HUD with a sniper as the primary for my Romeo build. Since I'm a bit short on photoshopping time and skill, do you think you could remove the background for me if I found you a nice screenshot?

Again, good work and thanks for the Spartan HUD.

yccars said:
Good work with that HUD, Baku. Looks absolutely perfect for a spartan.

I'm trying to figure out an ODST HUD with a sniper as the primary for my Romeo build. Since I'm a bit short on photoshopping time and skill, do you think you could remove the background for me if I found you a nice screenshot?

Again, good work and thanks for the Spartan HUD.

Yeah I can work on a ODST HUD as well. I have to restart my helmet though so no promises on it quickly.

Guardian Baku said:
Yeah I can work on a ODST HUD as well. I have to restart my helmet though so no promises on it quickly.

Great, thanks. I'm in no hurry at all. I haven't had time to search since I posted that (county and state fair, as well as sports and a 2-week trip to DC for a gov't leadership conference have me painfully short of time), and my armor is on hold for a week or so. I'll PM you sometime when I find the shot.

Edit: Whoa, you get Vet status for just 'glassing a helmet? Neat.

do u wanna do it for like special effects in like a movie or actually have it there in real life, if in real life just get some of that transparency paper and make some designs, if not i could do something 4 ya, Ive been taking 2, almost three yrs of graphic design, and graphic communications. i could prob get something going, also a VERY nice special effect is in a video by anthony lee, its his iron man[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAFtl16SMY[/media] special effect cos play, i recommend u check it out======================oops didnt see that well looks like baku got it for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back