Group Project - Halo 3 Standoff Recreation

PerniciousDuke

RCO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S128
Hello again Pacific peoples! (and other regiments who like cool things)

I previously made an interest thread to help generate ideas for what we can do to increase Pacific's footprint at conventions and one idea has really stuck with me. I seriously think I can build it, but I can't do it alone! I need your help!

PapaHawk
shared an image from Halo 3's multiplayer map Standoff, showing a three wall column featuring a switch which I believe opens up the base doors. I think this column can be built and make for a great backdrop for costumed and non costumed members. In addition, if we can raise enough funds, I think we can also add a mounted MG, UNSC crates and two Marine helmets and chest pieces that passer-bys can wear in the photo op.

Pros:
Backdrop is interesting, but not over-the-top to distract from our amazing costumes.
Backdrop can have lights panels, buttons, and gizmos.
Backdrop can have game sounds and music.
Backdrop three wall design can support itself.
Behind Backdrop doubles as a storage area.
MG+Costumes can be used with the backdrop or spread out for a larger foot print.

Cons:
Haven't figured out the storage and transportation yet.
I can't afford to build it all on my own.
We will need to set up a 3d Printer Pool of trusted 405th regiment members

Once I've been able to purchase the materials and draw up the construction plan, I would like to house a build party at my parents property in Roy, WA to anyone able to join. The goal is have this ready for WA Gaming Expo March 29, 2024

Here is a living document of the plan thus far, including links to purchasable materials. If anyone has better (or cheaper) suggestions please let us know!

Here is the fundraising graphic, pretty similar to the one we did in 2018 for our first booth. Followed by some text.
Fundraiser Start.jpg

Some of you may recall we did a booth build fundraiser for the Pacific Regiment back in 2018. It was a success and the booth is still going strong. It has been to over a dozen conventions and helped share the fabulous hobby of cosplay to hundreds of people with the help of our volunteer 405th members.

We are calling on your help again! There is a new convention coming up next year called WA Gaming Expo (Gaming Expo One) that we would really love to make a splash by increasing our foot print. We have come up with a large set piece that costumed and non-costumed attendees can take photos in front of. This will not be a picture/screen background, but a 3d set piece with lights and sounds! In addition, we also want to build a mounted machine gun prop and two helmets and chest pieces that any attendee can adorn and take photos with us!

The above graphic shows our estimated building material costs which we all know have increased considerably since covid. These estimates do not include our members time or donated resources. The Wall Construction covers the heavy duty insulation foam needed to build a lightweight but sound set piece, plus other components like magnets and brackets. The Wall Details include things like the light up screens, switches, buttons, bars, speakers and paint. To make our vision complete we would love to also build items that everyone can enjoy and use. A prop mounted machine gun with repainted military crates and two quick costumes that we can put on people for fun photos.

Anyone able to contribute is encouraged to use either PayPal (cpense@gmail.com) or Venmo (@ perniciousduke) and put in the description your 405th name or social media handle which will be referenced on a donation plaque on the prop wall itself. If you have non-monetary donation ideas please message me. We would love to bring this idea to life and share it with kids and gaming fans alike. Thank you -Duke

I'm now going to ping everyone who was involved in the discussion in the other thread and discord. Please use this thread to discuss ideas or volunteer your talents!
Lukavago SubXzeroXhero Kahn 319 MarrowofStar OFiveTwo N8TEBB TurboCharizard Rock Lobbster Chronomize

Attachments

• Stand Off Blurb.jpg
    Stand Off Blurb.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 435
  • Fundraiser 1253.gif
    Fundraiser 1253.gif
    119.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

DONATIONS RAISED: $1389 woo!

CURRENT $ SPENT (2/26): $2169
COLLECTIVE WORK HOURS (4/4): __250 HOURS__

Build Plan:

Stand Off Expansion Plan_1-1-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_2-2-page-001.jpg
Stand Off Expansion Plan_3-3-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_5-5-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_4-4-page-001.jpg
Stand Off Expansion Plan_6-6-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_7-7-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_8-8-page-001.jpgStand Off Expansion Plan_9-9-page-001.jpg
Stand Off Expansion Plan_10-10.jpg

Construction, Storage and Transportation

• Construction and Transport will all be done by me at my parent's house in Roy, WA, where the booth will also live.

• We held a group build party on 2/24 with myself, ArcSol, Lukavago, SubXzeroXhero, ForwardUntoDusk and we were all interviewed by Highschool reporter ThreeEvening158

• Total work hours spent (not including planning and procurement) = __250 HOURS_ as of 4/4

3d Printed Assets

Digital Assets

pipninja created the artwork for all of our digital images.
These include:
  • Horizontal Storm Screen
  • Perimeter Breach Screen
  • Server Screen
  • LOC Sticker
  • Missile Command Sticker
  • UNSC stencil

Molded Assets
  • SubXzeroXhero and I invested in molding and casting materials and we learned how for the first time. We created a mold of the 3d printed chest and then created two casts. We were joined for the casting party on 12/17 by JSLund and BansheeRose and Sub's place in Bremerton. Jump to post.

Purchased Assets

Main Construction

$375 2" Insulation foam (6)
$35 1" Insulation foam
$5 Bamboo skewers
$38 110lb Magnets (2 packs of 10)
$20 110lb Magnets (2 packs of 6)
$23 Bar Magnets
$10 Mending Plate (10)
$16 1-1/2" PVC (1)
$50 1-1/4" PVC (4)
$45 1" PVC (5)
$15 - 3/4" PVC (2)
$39 PVC Connectors (misc)
$23 2"x6"x8' Lumber (4)
$23 Corner Brackets (6)
$38 1/4"x6"x8' Wood Panel (2)
$8 Large Eye screw
$10 small eye bolt
$6 nuts/washers
$10 Various Zip Ties
$77 Step Ladder (2)

Paint
$26 White Interior Latex Primer (1gal)
$11 Light Gray Custom Paint (1qt)
$11 Medium Gray Custom Paint (1qt)
$11 Dark Steel Gloss Spray Paint (frames)
$8 Black Matte (MG)
$7 Grey Primer
$7 Clear Matte
$30 Krylon Woodland Green (3)
$10 Drop Cloth (2)
$10 Paint Brushes (4)

Details
$170 - 0.236" x 4' x 8' Acrylic Sheet
$100 - 0.118" x 4' x 8' Acrylic Sheet
$25 - 0.063" x 24" x 46" Lexan Sheet
$137 Backlit Vinyl Decals(3)
$42 Wall Decals (2)
$16 Fake Bolts (36)
$31 LED strips (3)
$18 Switch LED Strip
$5 Magnetic Switch
$15 Battery
$30 MP3 Player
$30 Speaker
$11 Outlet

Accessories
$10 Marine Hat
$10 Jungle Hat
$13 Helmet Pads
$77 Chest Rigs (2)
$40 Rebound 25 Silicon for Chest Molds
$80 KX Flex 60 Resin for Chest Casts
$30 Dyes & Supplies for Casting (misc)
$60 Foot Lockers (2)
$20 Tripod for MG
$11 Magnets for MG
$17 Metal for MG
$14 5/8" all thread for MG

Consumables
$100 PLA Plastic (10kg)
$25 5-min Epoxy (8oz)
$18 Spot Putty (3tubes)
$5 Utility Knives
$33 Foam Glue (5)
$8 PVC Glue
$4 Wood Glue
$15 Disinfecting Spray

Already Had
Brad nails
Screws
Interior Corner Bracket
Black Primer
Black Paint
Yellow Paint
Metal for base (it was a bed frame and table legs)

Tools & Equipment
Pvc pipe cutter
Hack saw
Stationary Disc Sander
Rip Table Saw
Dado Table Saw
Acrylic Table Saw
Crosscut Table saw
Crosscut Miter Saw
5-1/2" Skill Saw
Aluminum Track/Edge
Wood Planer
Router Table
Orbital Sander
Drill Press
Brad nail gun
Screw Driver
Transfer punch
Power Drill
Right angle
Dremel
Belt Sander
Calipers
Vise
Sooo many clamps
Coping Handsaw
Clamps, all the clamps
TIG Welder
Paint Spray Gun
Air Compressor

Last edited:
I'm all in. Also once I am done moving I will have additional space to work on and potentially store some of this for the convention. I also know a few people who make the life sized props for the star wars group so i can always pick there brains about that.

I can do the ODST chest plates, lord knows I have enough files for them. Call it a stretch goal, but I can also probably manage some 2/3rd sized ARs. I've also got a Cricut and Airbrush for stencil work, just no artistic talent.

I can do the ODST chest plates, lord knows I have enough files for them. Call it a stretch goal, but I can also probably manage some 2/3rd sized ARs. I've also got a Cricut and Airbrush for stencil work, just no artistic talent.
I like the idea of resin casting some pieces. As long as we have a mold we could make several.

I haven't made anything that big before but I'm down to try and may know some folks who could help.

I like the idea of resin casting some pieces. As long as we have a mold we could make several.

I haven't made anything that big before but I'm down to try and may know some folks who could help.

I was hoping we could rubber cast the ODST chest to make it more durable for high use. Is that an option? I'd love to learn how as well.

I don't see why not? Might be pricy though, I've never played with cast but I've always wanted to learn.

Love the idea and might follow along and do a similar thing for mountain. I run a theatre scene shop and we have tons of materials leftover every year and a pretty sizable budget to buy more materials each year as needed so i could probably whip up a frame and walls easy peasy at my shop.

WIll follow this thread for sure when you have some dimensions setup. Let me know if i can help in any way!

--if you havent already though of it, you could use hinges on the wall joints and have a removable pin to disconnect it easy while adding just a simple top and/or bottom cross brace to keep it at the specific angle needed.

I was hoping we could rubber cast the ODST chest to make it more durable for high use. Is that an option? I'd love to learn how as well.
Yeah I guess I should specify that in my mind I was thinking rubber resin. I haven't cast with rubber yet, but I know if you people I can ask about what type of impact rubber can be used.

I'd be up for helping out wherever I can... Got a few 3D printers to help with that part if needed.

I don't have any experience with rubber casting...yet. Currently experimenting with casting some parts of my Master Chief armor with urethane rubber. Likely, I'll only be able to relate what NOT to do. Lol.

Post reserved for Building Plan

Apart from the money stuffs, we also need people to volunteer creating some of the pieces.
I have managed to secure approval to reprint 3 different models, but doing so means that only 405th regiment members can do the printing since we will not be able to use the files to print additional pieces for our personal use. We also have other tasks like creating the graphics for screens, cutting stencils or decals.

3D Print - first Marine helmet
3D Print - second Marine helmet
3D Print - first ODST chest
3D Print - second ODST chest
3D Print - first half of M247H
3D Print - second half of M247H
Graphic Design screens
Create Stencils for Crates
Create Stencils for Wall

Any volunteers?
Which version of the MG would you like printed? I can do reaches or H2 (personally leaning towards h2)

Which version of the MG would you like printed? I can do reaches or H2 (personally leaning towards h2)
We have permission to print Lobb's M247 which I believe is the Reach one.

We have permission to print Lobb's M247 which I believe is the Reach one.

Hey Duke just as a heads up that is the M247 GPMG which is the Halo 2 version. Reach version is the M247H, and the Halo 3 version (one on standoff) would be the AIE-486H. (pictured below)

1695753177416.png

Hey Duke just as a heads up that is the M247 GPMG which is the Halo 2 version. Reach version is the M247H, and the Halo 3 version (one on standoff) would be the AIE-486H. (pictured below)

View attachment 336410
Thanks Lobb. I realized I was probably wrong after I said it. I am good with the Halo 2 gun that you modeled. It's fun to test people at conventions. :)

Thanks Lobb. I realized I was probably wrong after I said it. I am good with the Halo 2 gun that you modeled. It's fun to test people at conventions. :)
What material would you like me to use? Simple PLA can work or if dared attempt I can use almost a rubber like material, the upside to rubber is it won’t break as easy when dropped, the downside it might not want to print, just wanna get your opinion on this

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back