Gundam RX-93/ Gundam Nu

Status
Not open for further replies.

GundamLoki

Jr Member
Hello there 405th,

So as the title is stating I'm not working on Halo armor. I am more of a mecha type person, and I started to make a Gundam Deathscythe Ver Ka. last year but due to funds was unable to finish it. So now I have decided that I am going to start on another Gundam. Gundam Nu/RX-93. I'm just building the helmet right now, but I will hopefully start on the rest soon. Also I'm trying to decide if I want to do Gundam RX-93-2/Gundam Hi-Nu or the original Nu. I'm learning more towards Hi-Nu. The head of it seems to be the same, but the body is different. So after I finish the head we will decide!

But anyways on to how I am going about this. So I found the un-folded RX-93 helmet here on the 405th forums and downloaded it. I started to make the crest and realized the helmet would be almost 2 feet tall when I was done. So this caused me to resize it and start over! haha oh the joys of test fitting.

The process is this. Print the pepakura out on the cardstock. Basic pepakura style right? Well then I cut out all the pieces and left the tabs off. These were then glued onto a art board. It's stiffer than cardboard but thinner. I have done the...forehead star thingy and part of the face now. And these things are STURDY. I dropped one down two flights of stairs. Go figure it survived. So anyways. Let me know what you think! And hopefully I will update soon. Thanks for checking it out!

2134083425_ae3b721fb7.jpg

Can't decide between Gundam Nu on the right or Hi-Nu on the left. Any opinions? I'm leaning more towards the right one.

th_IMG_0776.jpg

Back of the face piece and the crest.

th_IMG_0775.jpg

Front of the face piece and the crest.

th_IMG_0773.jpg

The cardstock pieces attached to the art board ready to be cut out and glued.

th_IMG_0770.jpg

The top crest/mohawk of the helmet before I resized it down. SOOO big haha. Would not fit my head at all.

-GundamLoki

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE!!! 11-27-2011

Alrighty well I got most of the front of the helmet done. It's bent a little out of shape but when I get the rest of the helmet on there it should pull everything into shape. It looks like it has a great fit on my head to. It's about the same size as my last one. Which was a perfect size. So anyways here ya go. A couple pictures of just the mask and then one with a size test on my face haha. So enjoy! and Feedback is welcome.

th_IMG_0778.jpgth_IMG_0777.jpgth_IMG_0779.jpg

-GundamLoki

Nice build, I'm a mech freak myself so I'd say go with Nu if you have the length for it or go for Hi Nu if you like a more "compact" build.
This mostly because the armor pieces are shorter on Nu whereas Hi-Nu is more covered but also a wee bit shorter (and giant ass propellant tanks on the rear).
Also if you go by line art and the MG model line you'll notice that Hi-Nu's face is thinner and overall longer then normal Nu's.

Nice build, I'm a mech freak myself so I'd say go with Nu if you have the length for it or go for Hi Nu if you like a more "compact" build.
This mostly because the armor pieces are shorter on Nu whereas Hi-Nu is more covered but also a wee bit shorter (and giant ass propellant tanks on the rear).
Also if you go by line art and the MG model line you'll notice that Hi-Nu's face is thinner and overall longer then normal Nu's.

Yeah that was what I was noticing as I kept doing my research. I'm definetely just going to do Gundam Nu for now. I may make a High-Nu eventually but I like the classic one myself.

-Gundamloki

Time for an update so you can all see it better. I did the back of the helmet today and I'm happy to report the thing fits my head! YAY! Anyways! I'm hoping to get done with more tomorrow. Silly school getting in the way of my costuming! So without further wait!! Here's the pictures!!

First up!! The front and back of the helmet. Ignore the fluffy thing. My cat decided he wanted to be in the pictures as well.

th_IMG_0780.jpgth_IMG_0781.jpg

Next up!! Left and right side of the helmet. Again ignore the fluffy obstruction on the table.

th_IMG_0783.jpgth_IMG_0782.jpg

And then a comparison photo to my almost completed Deathscythe Ver. Ka helmet. HUGE DIFFERENCE! haha....Also...this is my cat. He just had to help out. So he deserves some credit.

th_IMG_0788.jpgth_IMG_0784.jpg

Anyways let me know what you all think! I think it's looking pretty good. And it's starting to fit really well. I just need to finish the top and add padding so that I can get the fit just right!! Huge plans for this suit so I hope that I can pull it off in between my college and work schedule. Thanks for checking it out!!!

-GundamLoki

Well I was hoping to have some responses before my next update but sadly I do not. So I do apologize for the triple post I am making. But anyways here is the update!

I finished the preliminary build of the helmet. Everything is all glued and attached. I am now deciding what I want to do to finish it off. I have a couple ideas in mind that I would like to try to smooth the outside and make it look as Gundam like as possible. Also this thing is so incredibly hard. It almost rivals my fiberglassed ODST helmet that I have in stiffness. But the thing fits like a glove on my head. It's perfect.

Right now I am designing the light system for the two ends of the "mohawk" as well as the eyes. For the eyes I have been looking into the under view slit method. This seems the most right for me as the pepper ghost method takes more space and I don't have a lot in the helmet. Does anyone know of any others??

Anyways here is the standard picture update. Front, sides, back, test fit and the final comparison to my old Gundam Helmet. The difference in detail is unreal and so exciting!! Anyways thanks for checking it out!!

th_WP_000295.jpgth_WP_000297.jpg
th_WP_000298.jpgth_WP_000296.jpg
th_WP_000293.jpgth_WP_000299.jpg

-GundamLoki

Well time for another double post, so I apologize in advance!

So today was spent creating the lights for the eyes. Needless to say I am SOO pleased with how they came out. I have a huge field of vision as well and they do not mess with my vision in the slightest.

th_WP_000300.jpgth_WP_000301.jpg
On my head with the lights off and on. I was able to take these pictures myself as I could see everything I was doing.

th_WP_000302.jpg
Showing it sitting on a table. You can barely see the slits under the eyes that I look out of.

th_WP_000303.jpgth_WP_000304.jpg
Pictures showing the wiring inside for the eyes. It is all powered by a 9V battery and there is 8 leds in all. 4 in each eye. The other picture is trying to show how I can see out of it with the eyes lit. The picture came out weird though and my field of vision is A LOT bigger than what you can see there. But you can tell that you can indeed see out of it.

Anyways thanks for checking this out if you are. Later.

-GundamLoki

So far you have a great looking helmet. Nice lines and great detail, love the lighting by the way. Keep us posted.

So far you have a great looking helmet. Nice lines and great detail, love the lighting by the way. Keep us posted.
Thanks man! That is good to hear. I still have a lot of work to do to finish it off but I'm happy with how it is coming along.
i was gonna say go with the hi-nu but that nu looks AWESOME!
I agree! I was leaning towards doing Hi-Nu but then I finished this helmet and now I'm all about Gundam Nu! Thanks for the support!
THats really great! gundams are really hard to make, so good luck to you
Thanks!! I agree Gundams are not exactly the easiest to make. My real concern is going to be the rest of the suit. Getting the look right! But I think I know how I'm going to do it! But thanks for the luck! I'll need it!

Anyways! I have a question for all you folks. So I have the eye lights in as you can tell, but I now am debating on doing the lights on the top of the helm. Do you think lighting up the ends of the crests would be to much? Like where the "camera" is supposed to be on the front? I'm torn if that would be to much light or not. What do you all think?

I started smoothing everything out. Progress later once I feel comfortable with what I am doing.

Also what do you all know about Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly? Is it easy to work with or anything? I was thinking about trying it to build up some of the outside of the helmet, but I don't know a thing about it! Thanks!

-GundamLoki

Update time!!!! So here we go!!

So I used the same type of technique for the eye modules to make the crest modules. I used a different type of LED though. So it turned a brighter green. I kind of like the contrast between the two colors though! It's running off a separate battery and circuit so that I can have the crest on, the eye lights on or one off and one on. Anyways let me know what you all think!

th_temporary-1.jpgth_temporary-2.jpgth_temporary-4.jpg
th_temporary-3.jpgth_temporary.jpg

-GundamLoki

Wowee! I'm really liking your use of LEDs. I can't wait to see what is next for that suit. I've seen people make Transformers and Gundam suits before..but I didn't see anything that was built even half as good as this pepakura is. No offense to others home made build..but pepakura blows everything out of the water...unless someone else proves me otherwise.

Wowee! I'm really liking your use of LEDs. I can't wait to see what is next for that suit. I've seen people make Transformers and Gundam suits before..but I didn't see anything that was built even half as good as this pepakura is. No offense to others home made build..but pepakura blows everything out of the water...unless someone else proves me otherwise.

Thanks gc, I'm glad you are liking the build so far! It has been a lot of fun.

So kind of an update but it is FREEZING here. I am starting to bondo the helmet to smooth out the rough edges. I want to try to get this done this weekend but the cold weather along with this being the weekend before finals is slowing me down. I have to heat the garage up before I can go out and work in it. Takes a couple hours... :p Haha but I'll try to have some pictures up by Sunday night at the latest. Stay tuned. Thanks for checking in.

-GundamLoki

This place has downloadable artbooks with some gundam stuff if you need references for modeling.

Wow!! Thanks Dung0beetle!!! That will be so much help when I start to construct the rest. I think this is the only part I'm doing with pepakura. The rest will be free hand! but that will help sooo much!

-GundamLoki

Loki
I've seen you around the same forms as me.Let me start by says nice work. I love the head so far,Your a true builder.Ill be watching your thread for sure.

I remember Gundams when I was little, but I honestly preferred Digimon and Pokemon. I DO remember constructing the little models that I got for Christmas and terrorizing my sisters, claiming that it would suck their brains out. MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! *cough*
But anyways, I love the lighting in your helmets and I really like the progress so far!
Keep it going! I'll be watching you! ;P

-Alexis

I remember Gundams when I was little, but I honestly preferred Digimon and Pokemon. I DO remember constructing the little models that I got for Christmas and terrorizing my sisters, claiming that it would suck their brains out. MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! *cough*
But anyways, I love the lighting in your helmets and I really like the progress so far!
Keep it going! I'll be watching you! ;P

-Alexis

That is so awesome that you had the models! I love them! I'm not so crazy that I buy the 300 dollar 1/60 mastergrade ones...although they are very..very pretty haha. And yeah I didn't truely get into Gundams until I was older. My childhood was filled with Pokemon and Power Rangers!! :p And how could you not terrorize them?! It'd be a sin if you hadn't haha.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm doing bondo work right now and starting the chest. But finals are right now so I can't do much work until Thursday. So hopefully I'll have progress then! And good! guess it's only fair since I'm watching your builds :p

-Loki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back