Guyver foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. very creative with the foam. and you really exerted effort since the foam you're using occasionally melts under the hot glue. :)

keep it up and complete it soon. :)

wow. very creative with the foam. and you really exerted effort since the foam you're using occasionally melts under the hot glue. :)

keep it up and complete it soon. :)

It's not very hard to keep it from melting, I just unplug my glue gun before it gets too hot. It also looks like my deadline of Anime Boston (April 7th) is realistic.

this is epic ... I dont have any words my jaw is drop. Did you use pep files for this. Also did you finish your guyver peps?

Thanks. I use the unregistered version of pepakura, unfold the file and print it using the microsoft xps document writer. It's quite fun and easy to unfold stuff, if only I could save it :p

Anyway, have an update: Two gigantic shoulders, two biceps and a forearm.

IMG_0311.jpg

I'm so close to finishing it. I'd make the other forearm and neck pieces but I have the a page for my webcomic due at 1am tomorrow XD

I actually freaked out one of my friends by crushing the helmet into a little ball and popping it back up again.

The following is your Guyver Helmet:

IMG_0312.jpg

The Following is your Guyver Helmet on drugs:

IMG_0313.jpg

I just tore open a small seam while squishing it around, oopsie :rolleyes

Just got some stuff in the mail:

IMG_0314.jpg

Tore apart some $10 glasses (including shipping) for their lenses XD
Oh yeah. I almost forgot: I finished the major parts of the costume. Just need to do a few neck pieces and add the trim on the shins and thighs!

guyver.jpg

nice dude looks pretty clean. just kinda worried foam looks like its too thin.
i would suggest you put another layer just to be safe. but thats just me LOL.
hope to see more updates

nice dude looks pretty clean. just kinda worried foam looks like its too thin.
i would suggest you put another layer just to be safe. but thats just me LOL.
hope to see more updates

Not too thin, just transparent :/

edit: I'm considering putting a layer of duct tape on the inside of the parts so the seams have some support.

non the less, even transparent it looks awesome! :)
the duct tape idea might work pretty good. :)

So I tried it on last night:

IMG_0316.jpg

Even Tesla approves :)

And I just finished the base coat for the forearm (left or right I don't know). Amazingly the paint didn't dissolve the foam XD

IMG_0315.jpg

The ridges are more visible than I'd like. Perhaps for Anime Boston next year I'll used some actual underlayment instead of ridged sill gasket. Oddly enough they cost about the same, just the gasket is cheaper to get in smaller quantities.

Hey man that suit is coming out awesome!!

Just a suggestion, Try using Plasti-Dip if you can. I think that would make a better finish on the foam and give it some more strength.

Hey man that suit is coming out awesome!!

Just a suggestion, Try using Plasti-Dip if you can. I think that would make a better finish on the foam and give it some more strength.

Well, Anime Boston is on the 7th of April, so I don't think I could get some plasti-dip by then. I don't know where the nearest hardware store is that sells it XD

Added the tuby things and finished the mouthpieces for the helmet. Enjoy the only pic:

IMG_0321.jpg

The black base coat of paint was apparently cheap, as it flakes off. However the blue paint seems flexible on the piece of scrap I tested. So I'm gonna paint it up tomorrow, as today it was kinda rainy-ish.
BTW, I'm skipping the trim on the shins. I'm just being lazy :D

Triple Post! I'm a horrible person!

Anyway, I painted the suit today. Now both the suit an my hands are a lovely shade of blue.

IMG_0322.jpg

All I need to do is velcro it to some pants and a shirt and I'm done :3

Oh yeah, and fix that dangly armpit tube.

lookin pritty cool.. know this will not come as much aid now.. but just a thought.. have u considered useing plasti-dip instead of paint?.. u know that spray on rubber stuff.. think u can even get it in blue.. might help with the ridgeing a bit and would remain flexable while adding a bit of strength.. just a thought.. anyhoo great job so far.. can't wait to see it finished am interested to see how u make a "control metal" for the forehead..:D

what files are you using?? Suit is looking great. I really want to start my own guyver suit.

Look at the original post. I used 3d models that I made from scratch, using an unregistered version of pepakura ;)

Anywho, I managed to wrangle the suit on (with copious amounts of duct tape) and everything stayed on long enough for some friends to snap a few pictures.

Photo04052229.jpg

Photo04052228.jpg

It is just as hot in the suit as I thought it would be.

The files I used for my foam prototype are the same ones that were available (in part) and currently are. The entire suit only has 3473 polygons in it, you know. But that's why one uses thin foam, so it can bend and flex easily.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Coming home for the semester has been kicking my arse. But I'm planning on making a second (better) version for Anime Boston next year (using unridged foam underlayment). I got sick the day before this year's convention and couldn't go... the reason was a piece of extremely minty gum compromised my immune system... how embarrassing :rolleyes

Oh, and this thread has been updated with the full suit files in .obj format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back