H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made some tweaks and got the waist/cod piece fitting perfect now by building the inside up with more foam to make it thicker and more "armor" like. Plus my bro is over for the holiday and was absolutely loving getting some cool pics of the suit. Thigh pieces will be started this week, files are ready!

Screenshot_2018-12-22-21-12-11.png Screenshot_2018-12-22-21-11-49.png IMG-20181222-WA0093.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0089.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0083.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0042.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0012.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0007.jpg IMG-20181222-WA0005.jpg 20181222_165548.jpg

Last edited:
Well guys I'm back from the break. Got this built over the last 2 evenings and it came together pretty easy, however, I'm thinking they're about 3/4 of an inch to small. I little to snug on the thigh and come up slightly short on the hip but man it looks good! my question, how snug do all of your thigh pieces fit with your builds? I'll post a wearing pic later.

20181228_173311.jpg 20181228_184458.jpg 20181228_184514.jpg

Yeah.. unfortunately slightly to small. Way to tight on my thigh and can't get it to slide up any higher. Just re-scaled and cutting new templates for the 2nd attempt. The first one turned out perfect so if someone wants it let me know, it would fit someone else slightly smaller than me perfectly. Just let me know!

**Old Pics Deleted

Last edited:
The scale of the thigh is actually pretty spot on. Just comparing with a ref photo the length is just right. You'll just have to adjust it a little so it's not so snug.

The scale of the thigh is actually pretty spot on. Just comparing with a ref photo the length is just right. You'll just have to adjust it a little so it's not so snug.
Yeah its so close to being spot on. Honestly it looks good but I dremeled a lot out on the inside but it's still tight. I can bare walk honestly just from my leg flexing inside. I scaled it up slightly bigger just to get it to loosen up a little more. I'm just gonna build another and make it more perfect. Haha

No one going to comment on those tacticool crocs? No one? Bro badass crocs, also the thighs are nice too, maybe some upholstery foam to snug up the thigh, perhaps on the "far" side, like not inner thigh but the outer thigh. Worked for me like (some clever reference someone)

No one going to comment on those tacticool crocs? No one? Bro badass crocs, also the thighs are nice too, maybe some upholstery foam to snug up the thigh, perhaps on the "far" side, like not inner thigh but the outer thigh. Worked for me like (some clever reference someone)
Haha thanks man! Chief knows all about the crocs! The first thigh piece was way to tight, couldn't get it on all the way or even walk it was so tight to my quad. Just finished the new slightly scaled up one and its even better seam work and fits perfect!

Good productive weekend, got both thigh pieces done and they're looking real good compared how they look on chief. Still have to fit them and strap them, but they do fit my legs perfect. Can't wait to start the shin pieces next. Can't believe how fast this suit is coming together!

IMG-20181230-WA0014.jpg IMG-20181230-WA0010.jpg IMG-20181230-WA0005.jpg 2018-12-30 19.55.08.jpg 2018-12-30 19.56.24.jpg

Last edited:
3/4 of an inch isn't much but if you think they are too tight....you could always splice in a piece on the inner part where no one will see it. Once you post a pic of you wearing it we'll be able to see what you are talking about. But from what I see.....the whole thing looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Cod piece looks ok......don't want to go back to weird.......:cautious:

Sean Antwalt's tight thighs not withstanding,....... but bringing us right back to weird.

3/4 of an inch isn't much but if you think they are too tight....you could always splice in a piece on the inner part where no one will see it. Once you post a pic of you wearing it we'll be able to see what you are talking about. But from what I see.....the whole thing looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Cod piece looks ok......don't want to go back to weird.......:cautious:

Sean Antwalt's tight thighs not withstanding,....... but bringing us right back to weird.

Thanks man!! Yeah these thigh pieces in the last photos are my newest ones and they fit perfectly. It's amazing how scaling up a piece by 1 inch makes such a huge difference to the fitment of a piece. These newest thigh pieces also scale out really close to how master chief looks in the game as far as where they land on the hips and how close they are to the waist piece of the cod. I'm really stoked with how this is coming together. I've actually spent the last few days playing with paint techniques on my spare trashed armor pieces I won't be using so I'm getting a plan going for that and a little practice too. I probably will spend just as much time painting this thing as I have been building it. Haha

Foam works looking amazing. I think you might run into a small problem with the length of your thighs. You don’t have quite the legs that Chief has length wise. You got the spacing between the cod and thigh looking good. But looks like your going to be bumping into the shins on the other end. This is where video game proportioning and real life human proportions come into play. Hopefully it all works out and I’m wrong. Good luck with the rest of he build. Can’t wait to see the painting stage

Foam works looking amazing. I think you might run into a small problem with the length of your thighs. You don’t have quite the legs that Chief has length wise. You got the spacing between the cod and thigh looking good. But looks like your going to be bumping into the shins on the other end. This is where video game proportioning and real life human proportions come into play. Hopefully it all works out and I’m wrong. Good luck with the rest of he build. Can’t wait to see the painting stage

Thanks man! I think the angle of the pics makes the thighs look longer than they actually are. I'm still fitting them with heat and molding around the knee, but i have decent range of motion when bending my knee. I'm using pics of justin branfuhr'so suit as well when scaling and so forth. Playing around when wearing these I have about the same amount of knee showing as his suit does on him. I also talked to him about how he did his paint job so I'm actually going to use a lot of those techniques with the paint too! I'm excited to see it all starting to come together. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Screenshot_2019-01-02-19-02-03.png

That looks really great!! It's probably a lot more comfortable then my fiberglass build from 8 years ago too!! Keep up the good work!! I really want to see what it looks like when you're all done.

That looks really great!! It's probably a lot more comfortable then my fiberglass build from 8 years ago too!! Keep up the good work!! I really want to see what it looks like when you're all done.

Thanks man! Yeah its actually really comfortable. This has seriously been a super fun project. I'll have to find some local 405th friends to do some spartan pics with once it's all done

Playing around with paint mixtures on my spare junked forearm piece. Color is not there yet but I'm definitely digging the green metallic look from the game. More classic halo 2 look right now, need to get it a little more green like h3. I will also be doing shadowing around all the edges with my airbrush, just didn't feel like starting that up last night. Haha

**Old Pics deleted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back