H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
SI3RRA 117 I still weather, bit of highlighting, bit of dirt, few scratches, maybe even a needler hole or a sword scrape, but not masses ;) sometimes subtlety is best
ExCeLLuR8 that helmet is beautiful!

Thanks man!! I'm so happy with it and I feel that I nailed it the best a foam helmet can be. I still have to work in all the superficial detail on it too. I learned so much from building it, I'm ready for the rest of the suit now

Just wow, this visor is amazing!! Huge shout out to Justin at branfhur studios!!
It's literally just staying in place with tension, I have not mounted it. Very thick material too, perfect view from inside.

Oh and master chief is getting it done this thanksgiving!

part01.jpg 20181121_153737.jpg

I'm jealous of your foam skills and have a hard time believing that's not 3D printed or purchased...

Move to Utah and join the mountain regiment. I need someone to help build a master chief for my con fan table.

I'm jealous of your foam skills and have a hard time believing that's not 3D printed or purchased...

Move to Utah and join the mountain regiment. I need someone to help build a master chief for my con fan table.

Thanks man!! That really means alot! And no, it's 100% foam and time, just ask my wife, she barely sees me at home when I'm home now. Haha

Here are my new found practiced techniques that give me the cleanest seams:
I have tried many knives, I have settled for doing all my cuts with the smaller #11 exacto knife. Gives me the cuts i desire. The cleaner your cuts, the cleaner the seams. Also, this is a big one.. I do not cut out all my foam pieces at once before building. I cut out each piece one at a time and do all my angled bevel edge cuts while still part of the foam sheet. Some cuts angle out, some cuts angle in depending on how the piece goes together. I get extremely clean angle cuts that way and rarely do I have to re-cut an edge by doing this, but that's because I study each piece before I cut it out.

Once cut, I use a dremel to sand edges if need be to fit together before gluing. As for glue, I use the loctite 5sec super glue, it's amazing, quick, and strong. but on most parts, takes more like 20 secs before I let go of holding joined seams. I use a sharp scrap piece of foam to smooth glue on the seam when it bubbles out (angelegend technique). Then as everyone know, I line the total inside of my armor piece with shoe goo, I'm not kidding, it makes it nearly indestructible!

Lastly, I double back with 320 grit sand paper and sand all my seam edges to remove any dried glue edges and to smooth out any foam imperfections that may be on the seam. This sand paper I have found works best, no courser no smoother. To course tends rough the foam to much and to smooth of paper doesnt have any effect on the seam and tends to polish rather than remove.

When this suit is done, I don't want anyone seeing seams no matter how close they get unless I want the seam to be seen for game accuracy detail.

I hope this helps, I know everyone has their own style and there is no right or wrong way, this is just what is working best for me and giving very clean results.

Thanks man!! That really means alot! And no, it's 100% foam and time, just ask my wife, she barely sees me at home when I'm home now. Haha

Here are my new found practiced techniques that give me the cleanest seams:
I have tried many knives, I have settled for doing all my cuts with the smaller #11 exacto knife. Gives me the cuts i desire. The cleaner your cuts, the cleaner the seams. Also, this is a big one.. I do not cut out all my foam pieces at once before building. I cut out each piece one at a time and do all my angled bevel edge cuts while still part of the foam sheet. Some cuts angle out, some cuts angle in depending on how the piece goes together. I get extremely clean angle cuts that way and rarely do I have to re-cut an edge by doing this, but that's because I study each piece before I cut it out.

Once cut, I use a dremel to sand edges if need be to fit together before gluing. As for glue, I use the loctite 5sec super glue, it's amazing, quick, and strong. but on most parts, takes more like 20 secs before I let go of holding joined seams. I use a sharp scrap piece of foam to smooth glue on the seam when it bubbles out (angelegend technique). Then as everyone know, I line the total inside of my armor piece with shoe goo, I'm not kidding, it makes it nearly indestructible!

Lastly, I double back with 320 grit sand paper and sand all my seam edges to remove any dried glue edges and to smooth out any foam imperfections that may be on the seam. This sand paper I have found works best, no courser no smoother. To course tends rough the foam to much and to smooth of paper doesnt have any effect on the seam and tends to polish rather than remove.

When this suit is done, I don't want anyone seeing seams no matter how close they get unless I want the seam to be seen for game accuracy detail.

I hope this helps, I know everyone has their own style and there is no right or wrong way, this is just what is working best for me and giving very clean results.

Here is my next piece, straight out of the foam sheet, most bevel cuts done during cut out after studying how the part will fit. Still have to do valley cuts on the back of the piece.
Oh.. and a sneak peek of the torso coming together...

And my tools of destruction, well.. construction. I have also found marking my template with the direction the foam cut needs to go, very helpful.

20181125_095407.jpg 15431579905302097528945.jpg

Almost done with the back section. Still have a few pieces left. Overall, it turned out pretty well, although there are a few spots I'm not happy with. Scaling is spot on perfect and it fits like a glove. I think it's a usable piece but if I were to build again I could address a few of the spots I feel I could improve. I'm going to finish the chest plate carefully and then reevaluate the back once that's complete. Let me know you all's thoughts!!

*Old Pics deleted

Last edited:
Bottom one much better this time. Keeping all measurements of parts lining up exactly like 3d model plus I have new ways in mind to catch more game detail. The top one is just going to be a throw away practice painter

20181128_153237.jpg

You can have it once I complete the new one if you want. Cost of shipping plus $20 on top. Not sure if we're allowed to sell on here, I'll delete comment if not allowed. I can also give you my foam file s0 you can finish the chest
you definitely are allowed to sell things here. there is also a marketplace section of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back