H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely looking really good, my man. It's still very impressive the amount of detail and the cleanliness of your cuts on that suit. My hat comes off to you, sir.

Definitely looking really good, my man. It's still very impressive the amount of detail and the cleanliness of your cuts on that suit. My hat comes off to you, sir.
Thanks man! That really means alot, just trying to do the cleanest work I can. My secret to clean cuts. I put away the box cutters and stopped using them a while ago. I cut everything out with me exacto knife and change blade when it starts getting difficult to pull through. Believe it or not, 1 blade last me almost one armor piece depending on size and amount of cuts.

These things were tricky but a blast to build and spot on! I can't believe I'm already preparing to start the boots. On that topic, I want to make my own soles out of heavy duty rubber and shoe goo it to the boot so I actually walk on the boots and not a boot that hovers off the ground with a regular shoe sole exposed. Any ideas on a good heavy rubber with a tread of some kind molded in? I'm starting my search. Of course a cheap tennis show will be inside but not able to be seen at all

20190114_170308.jpg 20190114_170351.jpg 20190114_170410.jpg

You better nail the paint job, or I'll be personally disappointed in you ;)

The suit really looks like the whole thing was printed, and not made out of foam! You sir, have done a fantastic work so far. Keep it up man!
Thanks man! Don't worry I plan to nail the paint job. Going to take a while, I know, and I plan to airbrush on it too as well as dry brushing silver for scraches too. I will post up a poll of colors when the time comes. I've been playing with some beautiful metallic mixtures to give it the light changing effect that the armor has in the games. Some missions his armor looks almost a goldish tan then other missions it looks deep green. Here are some I have played with on a junk forearm piece, on the right track but not quite perfect yet. I'm liking the darker one...

**Old Pics Deleted

Last edited:
How are you mixing your colors? What paints are you using? I had taken my H3 legendary game case helmet to an automotive paint store and they matched it and put it into spray cans for me. I didn’t think it came out too shabby. Paints pretty pricey that route. So was interested in your methods
View attachment 264488

That's pretty cool! Ok so this will actually be pretty mind blowing as it was for me... I was talking to Justin Branfuhr who is a professional prop builder. He swore to me that acrylics are much better to use on Eva foam as it flexes better with the foam than spray paint (whether latex or oil based) and is incredibly durable to wear. I had a hard time believing him but he gave me his list of colors and the brand he used to make his h3 chief.. and the best part, his entire suit color is brushed on with a brush and fine detail is airbrush work. So I went to the local Michaels and for about $10-$15, I stocked up and got home to start playing with mixtures and got pretty close to his color with in a couple of quick attempts. The even better part.. no fumes obviously! So I'm thinking, I see the perks already, I can do this entirely inside. Once I let it dry which it's pretty much dry in about 15 minutes and ready for use, another perk. I was shocked but it's crazy strong, flexes and I mean flexes, I stretched the crap out of that forearm piece (which still hasn't torn cause of shoe goo) not hardly a single wrinkle and what wrinkles it has is because this piece has plasti-dip which I've notice plasti-dip does wrinkle with stress, however luckily an awesome 405th member on here recommended rustoleum leak seal, he was right, far better than plasti-dip, it seriously is way stronger and does not wrinkle with extreme stress. So to summarize: I will be hand brushing this suit with a custom mixture of acrylic paints from Deco art and Leak Seal rocks! I will use my air brush for shadowing detail. Oh Btw... I scrapped this elbow piece against carpet really fast and the paint didn't even wear off down to the rubber coat. I'm impressed
(This is justins h3 chief)
Screenshot_2019-01-02-19-02-03.png

That's pretty cool! Ok so this will actually be pretty mind blowing as it was for me... I was talking to Justin Branfuhr who is a professional prop builder. He swore to me that acrylics are much better to use on Eva foam as it flexes better with the foam than spray paint (whether latex or oil based) and is incredibly durable to wear. I had a hard time believing him but he gave me his list of colors and the brand he used to make his h3 chief.. and the best part, his entire suit color is brushed on with a brush and fine detail is airbrush work. So I went to the local Michaels and for about $10-$15, I stocked up and got home to start playing with mixtures and got pretty close to his color with in a couple of quick attempts. The even better part.. no fumes obviously! So I'm thinking, I see the perks already, I can do this entirely inside. Once I let it dry which it's pretty much dry in about 15 minutes and ready for use, another perk. I was shocked but it's crazy strong, flexes and I mean flexes, I stretched the crap out of that forearm piece (which still hasn't torn cause of shoe goo) not hardly a single wrinkle and what wrinkles it has is because this piece has plasti-dip which I've notice plasti-dip does wrinkle with stress, however luckily an awesome 405th member on here recommended rustoleum leak seal, he was right, far better than plasti-dip, it seriously is way stronger and does not wrinkle with extreme stress. So to summarize: I will be hand brushing this suit with a custom mixture of acrylic paints from Deco art and Leak Seal rocks! I will use my air brush for shadowing detail. Oh Btw... I scrapped this elbow piece against carpet really fast and the paint didn't even wear off down to the rubber coat. I'm impressed
Yes plasti dip wrinkles and spray paint cracks. I can vouch for that!! I’ll definetly be looking into these acrylics and doing some testing of my own. Thanks for the tip.

Yes plasti dip wrinkles and spray paint cracks. I can vouch for that!! I’ll definetly be looking into these acrylics and doing some testing of my own. Thanks for the tip.
Dude, I promise you will be as impressed with the durability as I am. Of course brushing takes a long time.. but I can say it's way more controllable. I quickly rush and did that forearm in abut an hour though. Not bad, didn't even break out the airbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back