H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow man it looks so great!! I can't wait to get mine fixed up and I'm hoping it will look a lot like yours, it just takes SO MUCH TIME. But as you know it's what you put into it so here we go for that 110%!!
Keep it up!

Those look amazing, but my question is, how do you feel walking in them? I made my boots, but when I walk the toes a d back heel area hit the ground and I feel it makes it a little harder to walk and damages them...
Dude I'm not kidding when I say this.. they are the most comfortable footwear in my house. Haha the wide sole feels so positive and planted to walk in, really spreads out body weight nicely. The sole extents pass the boot shell a little over a 1/4 of an inch so not once did I ever drag the foam shell on the ground. They're really easy to walk in and very strong feeling. They're comparable to picking up a nice work boot in the store in terms of weight. The entire inside of each piece is completely coated in shoe goo for strength and of course the sole is set in with shoe goo. The host shoe was a tread safe shoe from Walmart with a really "sticky" rubber sole with honey comb pattern tread which was awesome for the shoe goo marriage of the boot to the host shoe. Very strong. Plus the boot articulates very nicely in the foot joint. They are honstly no hassle at all to walk in and very fun to wear.

Yeah that suit up just made me smile, thinking "look at that bada$$ there!" Looks dam good man! Glad I followed this one.
Thanks man that really means alot, you all are so motivational for me. Imy a perfectionist so I dont quit till its how I want it. I'm really happy with everything. I am editing another helmet file using the hi Def files. I think I may build another helmet just to see if I can capture more detail. I'm going to finish the other boot and make my decision. I will definitely get more pics up once the other boot is done.

Now that my armor is mostly complete other than needing more detail worked in on almost every piece.. I've been working on something else for a while... I like my current one and size is good, but if I can pull this off, it would be great! (This took many days alone..)
20190205_211455.jpg

OK guys.. I have found my halo 3 paint job tonight! Decided to do a quick practice run on a scrap knee piece and I gotta say, I'm stoked. I will definitely perfect it on the actual armor, maybe ease up on the silver dry brushing a tad.. but this is dam close to the game (pics ready don't do justice) I was even able to get that light shifting effect that chief has on certain maps where his armor looks more tanish gold than olive but then on green maps he looks super olive almost olive drab but still with a shimmer..

So after lots of testing, I was not happy with the forearm piece I painted previously using all acrylics. After it aged, the paint became brittle under extreme flexing and folding in half (common sense right?). The scrap helmet I painted with krylon it doesn't matter what you do to it, its super tough! I can't get the finish to wrinkle or Crack no matter what I do to it.

With that said on this knee piece. Of course rubber coated with leak seal. Base coat is Italian olive. Once that dries I weathered the entire piece using a big brush and rustoleum Oregano, that gives it the lighter tan colors you see sometimes because or wear, but still allows that olive to show through supreme. After that I do a watery wash of the acrylic rich espresso to get that brownish golden metallic shimmer to the armor. I follow that with a watery black wash to get the charred grime look. Followed up with silver dry brushing for edge scratches. (Which I may lighten up a tad). Also, I didn't do it tonight but I plan to air brush shadowing on certain places as well that I really want to appear darker

I have my spare small thigh piece leak seal coated and ready for a full on "live" practice run as soon as I get another warm break in the weather. Stay tuned!

View attachment 265814 View attachment 265815 View attachment 265816 View attachment 265817 View attachment 265818
Dude that looks sooo good! So how much did you say your scrap peices were?

Thanks man!! So the pile of scrap pieces. My wife, even though she has never played halo, is now jealous of my suit every time I put it on. I'm going to turn my spares into a purple mkVI for her, once my suit is complete Haha
Noooooo you traitor! Good for you though! Maybe we can get another member!

This build is SOOOO insanely awesome. The attention to detail and foamsmithing is inhuman. Man, there is good.......then there is you.

Thanks man! There are some many amazing builds out there that motivated me to give this suit everything I've got. You guys have all been so motivational and encouraging during this project, I couldn't have done it without all of your support and guidance! I'm starting the new helmet this weekend, I'm hoping it's my grande finale!

Spent probably 2 hour alone on the top 3 vents. Pics don't do just, each tiny piece was cut out at various angles to capture the multi plain surfaces of the vents. Everything measures out perfect to the model so far. Starting the visor tomorrow!

View attachment 266040
Wow. That is some crazy meticulous cutting for foam. Following your build just makes my son's MKVI suit look... Like a lazy person did it. Lol.
Your build... It's.... Just... Beautiful. Sniff. It brings a tear to my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back