Half Life 2 ~ Gordon Freeman Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't actually. Do you mean stores like Costco, or like Walmart? I could definitely check that out, but I can't imagine those pads coming in thicknesses as low as .5".

Risu said:
I haven't actually. Do you mean stores like Costco, or like Walmart? I could definitely check that out, but I can't imagine those pads coming in thicknesses as low as .5".

Yeah, look in the camping section there, or at a sporting goods store. The closed-cell polyethylene pads I've gotten before are about 0.5"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, I might have to check that out. How much are they? I found a place online that carries extra firm charcoal grey poly foam and it's half the price of Jo-Ann's even with shipping factored in. I'm probably going to end up going with that.

Anyways, here's a pic of my progress, maybe it can bring some life into this thread.

DSC01486.jpg

The chest is pepped, the arms, shins, and belt have been resined but not glassed yet, and I'm holding off on the thighs until that new model is released because I can't get the things to fit me. At this point I'm really REALLY hoping the chest piece fits me, I can't really find out until I glass it. I may be starting on the undersuit tonight, I have to finish cutting apart the flightsuit that I'm using as a pattern and then practice sewing the material, as I've never done anything with stretchy fabric before. More updates will come soon hopefully. Anybody else working on it?

Risu said:
Hm, I might have to check that out. How much are they? I found a place online that carries extra firm charcoal grey poly foam and it's half the price of Jo-Ann's even with shipping factored in. I'm probably going to end up going with that.

Anyways, here's a pic of my progress, maybe it can bring some life into this thread.

DSC01486.jpg

The chest is pepped, the arms, shins, and belt have been resined but not glassed yet, and I'm holding off on the thighs until that new model is released because I can't get the things to fit me. At this point I'm really REALLY hoping the chest piece fits me, I can't really find out until I glass it. I may be starting on the undersuit tonight, I have to finish cutting apart the flightsuit that I'm using as a pattern and then practice sewing the material, as I've never done anything with stretchy fabric before. More updates will come soon hopefully. Anybody else working on it?

I don't think there's going to be a remodeling...Nugget made the models and I think he's done with the project. Any further modeling changes will have to be done through the tried and true "eyeball-it" method. I would suggest pepping the thighs and leave what on a pair of jeans would be the inseam open, just don't glue those 4 or 5 edges together. Then you can try them on and cut and fit more card stock in place until you can get a taper that will fit your leg.

I'm excited to see what you're going to accomplish with the undersuit, your pep + resin work looks really good so far!

P.S. What footwear are you going to use? Or have you not decided on that yet?

The footwear is the one part I don't have a clue about yet. The game model of Gordon Freeman just has big clunky metal shoes. They couldn't bend and go up to the same height as a pair of tennis shoes. The only Valve artwork that shows the shoes looks similar, except that there is a black rubber sole and it looks like there is a front piece and a back piece, something like this:

Shoe.jpg

If it were made of metal or any other hard material it wouldn't be flexible enough to walk in, so that pretty much leaves silver colored vinyl. Unfortunately, that would probably look really crappy. Any suggestions are welcome, but I definitely think the boots have to be that short, especially with the shin pieces fitting so tight.

Hmmmmm I don't think they're silver, but more the color of the rest of the underarmor.

Your diagram looks pretty spot-on though, so that's a starting place.

I'll try to figure out something today.

I agree that they're the same color, this picture gives a good reference without any ash.

gordonfreeman.jpg

They're about the same shade as the undersuit and clearly made to look like metal. I suppose you could say they look a bit like grey leather, but unless you know how to make custom boots it doesn't improve our situation much. My undersuit material is a bit lighter in color than it looks in this picture, so I'm probably going to attempt to Rit dye my undersuit just a tiny bit darker. I like the look of the Valve artwork, which has a considerably lighter undersuit, a heather grey type color. However, it contrasts a bit too much with the dark color of the arm armor and the vest. I haven't had any luck finding any good vest material either, the closest I've found in appearance was black burlap. Everything else was too finely woven, it didn't have any texture. I couldn't even find anything in the correct shade of black/grey.

I've got my pattern made up for the undersuit now, I might make the legs and body tonight. After that I'll just have to tailor it in and then attach the arms and stirrups to keep it from pulling up out of the boots and gloves.

The boots in that pic actually... look kinda like rubber overshoes... :eek

th_11004b_01.jpg

For cloth, take a look at cotton duck canvas. You can get it at walmart for about 6usd a yard, 60 inch wide.

th_ODSTPouch033.jpgth_ODSTPouch032.jpg

This is a piece of the soft armor for my ODST, which is made of camp pad foam in a black cotton duck cover.

Someday when I do an HEV suit, this is probably the route that I'll go for the ab armor.

Not sure about the shoes, that route might work though if they come in the right colors. That soft armor looks perfect though. I figured the camp pads were the same kind of foam as these pads my dad has, but that's completely different and looks much more firm than regular poly foam. I'll have to make a trip to Walmart for that and some duck canvas, which also looks spot on. I should really finish my undersuit first though. I put it on hold for a couple days to get another project out of the way once and for all. Tomorrow I'll be able to make plenty of progress on that.

Those overshoes look good, but unless someone has a brilliant idea for permanently recoloring rubber, that is going to be a PITA to make fit with the rest of the suit.

Hmmmm I might just sculpt up and cast some flex foam boots...

How do you do that? I found some overshoes I think I can make work, but they're black, I was just going to paint them grey.

Risu said:
How do you do that? I found some overshoes I think I can make work, but they're black, I was just going to paint them grey.

I'll just use cheap vinyl or cardboard to make the shape, then use Dragon Skin to make a mold of the shoe and then cast the result using Flex Foam It.

Then again, I might just change his undersuit color from charcoal grey to black and then get matching boots.

*shrugs* We'll see when I get to the undersuit stage. Still working on a bunch of projects in addition to the HEV, and I'm going to get the armor 100% done before I move onto the undersuit.

I was thinking it might be possible to apply large amounts of a chemical (possibly denatured alcohol) to make the rubber that cloudy grey color. Not sure it will work and it's not permanent, but it's a possible solution that I'll attempt before painting them.

In other news, I went to Wal-Mart today cuz I was in that part of town and picked up a camp pad, looks perfect. I also inquired about the fabric department and the employee informed me that Wal-Marts nationwide got rid of the fabric department quite some time ago, so I went to Jo-Anns and found some duck canvas.

Also, I'm currently sewing together my undersuit. I'll take pics and post them once I've got it mostly done.

You could try scuffing the rubber with steel wool or fine sandpaper. That will take the gloss off, and give it a grayish, cloudy look. It may not be enough, but it would also help paint adhere to the rubber.

Risu said:
Wal-Marts nationwide got rid of the fabric department quite some time ago.

Lol what the hell did I just spend and hour in last night then?

I think someone was feeding you bull$#!T information to give you an answer to a question they didn't know. I've been to at least 15 Wal-Marts all over texas and oklahoma in the last 5 months and every. single. one. of them has a fully stocked and operational fabric/craft department.

Huh, I guess it's just here in CA then. I remember when the fabric department was taken out of my local Walmart back when I was in high school, but I thought it was just that one at the time.

Also, my undersuit is sewn together except for the sleeves and collar and one side is tailored in to fit me, the other will be done right after I post this. It's all kind of trial and error for me, I'm pretty new to sewing. This will be the first thing I ever made completely by myself. I'll be buying the overshoes tomorrow and I may have a lead on some perfect gloves. I'll hopefully post some pictures tomorrow.

Hum, the walmarts here in Iowa all still have fabric too.

Anyways, greatly anticipating the pics; I wanna see how you're doing your suit, since it sounds like you've got a great start.

Well, I got it all tailored in on both sides, and let me tell you, skin tight has it's drawbacks. This thing is unforgiving. Luckily most of me will be covered by the rest of the suit and I made sure the ass wasn't tight. I took a couple of pictures, but unfortunately the combination of the low lights in my room and my crappy camera resulted in blurry, noisy images that aren't worth posting. I'll probably take some pics tomorrow, although I foresee needing a shower after squeezing in and out of this suit in the middle of the day. My next step is to connect the sleeves, which I've been fearing since the beginning because I fail at sleeves. Before I would just take the thing in to a tailor to attach them, but I need to learn how to do it myself.

Also, I'm getting gloves custom made. It'll be a while before I receive them, but they'll HOPEFULLY be flawless. I've ordered custom garments from this guy before and have exactly a 50/50 chance of getting something decent based on my experiences.

UPDATE: I don't know if it's because I've been awake for two days or just because I've got nothing I CAN work on at the moment, but I'm going to take a couple days off from the HEV suit. The undersuit is currently in the hands of a tailor, who is going to keep it for the next week until she gets to fixing the horrible job I did on the crotch. Also, the magnets I ordered from K&J posted earlier in this thread were either never delivered or were stolen from my mail box and the post office said they'll get back to me tomorrow to let me know what they can find out about it. I've decided it would be unwise to do the vest until I have at least finished fiberglassing the belt, so fiberglassing is all I've got to do right now and I don't have access to my work space. So it's break time. I'll post again when I have something to show.

Started on this last night, sorted out the pep sizes, I'm 5'9" so I had to scale down all the upper pieces but the shin pieces needed to be longer for me.

Optimised all the pep files for a4 and got the number of pages down.

Pepped the right leg lower, and I'd just like to say it's a great build so easy yet effective.

Started this over returning to the mkVI as it's going to be a more feasible build for halloween.

I'll be going with black faux leather for the undersuit because I already have some laying about.

Will post some pics when I have something substancial to show,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back