Half Life 2 ~ Gordon Freeman Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
part 2 said:
what would i have to scale it too? im 6'1"
also i think they are a sort of cover for the shoes
*Image Removed*

It all depends on how you're built, if you're relatively slender, like me, you might be able to get away with it, but we -do- have a 6" height difference, so you may want to scale it up a few notches.

As far as that image goes, that's not really a Canon Freeman/HEV suit image, so I wouldn't use it for hard styling cues. The one I posted was actually done by a Valve artist *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE((null).exe @ Jun 22 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It all depends on how you're built, if you're relatively slender, like me, you might be able to get away with it, but we -do- have a 6" height difference, so you may want to scale it up a few notches.

As far as that image goes, that's not really a Canon Freeman/HEV suit image, so I wouldn't use it for hard styling cues. The one I posted was actually done by a Valve artist *shrugs*</div>
ok :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE((null).exe @ Jun 21 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><snip>

(null).exe's Measurements:
Height: 67" (167.5cm)
Chest: 38" (96.5cm)
Waist: 32" (81.3cm)
Weight: 160lb (72.5kg)(11.4 stone(for the limeys :p))</div>

I might just be making a noob mistake, or not understanding something correctly (my usual papercraft is on a much smaller scale). I made a quick skeleton of the lower leg piece scaled to null's measurements, but the lower opening was too small for my foot to fit through. The height of the piece seems about right, I'll definitely have to scale up the width and depth to make it practical for me (or if I'm doing something wrong, any ideas what?).

I'd like to give a big "thank you" to everyone doing the groundwork in this thread - Loess, Null especially Nugget. I've wanted to make an HEV suit for a long time, and with your sweat already shed, I have the courage to start actually working on it.

jeebo said:
I might just be making a noob mistake, or not understanding something correctly (my usual papercraft is on a much smaller scale). I made a quick skeleton of the lower leg piece scaled to null's measurements, but the lower opening was too small for my foot to fit through. The height of the piece seems about right, I'll definitely have to scale up the width and depth to make it practical for me (or if I'm doing something wrong, any ideas what?).

I'd like to give a big "thank you" to everyone doing the groundwork in this thread - Loess, Null especially Nugget. I've wanted to make an HEV suit for a long time, and with your sweat already shed, I have the courage to start actually working on it.

crackhead09 said:
eperiment noone knows the proper way to scale this one so try it out
I'd like to thank you guys too
I've been a half life fan since 97 and I've never stopped playing :)
if you do scale it right don't forget to post it

Jeebo, part2:

I just finished making the gauntlet using my scaling, and while I can't put my hand through the opening, my wrist will fit just fine, even with a glove on.

I would suggest doing what the MkVI people are doing and once the piece is resined/glassed, cutting and hinging the piece with some rare-earth magnets to keep it closed, it'll give it a better form-fitting look. If it was scaled up, you wouldn't have to cut anything, but I think it would look too bulky, just my .02 though.

==============================================================================

Also, I've started a thread for my build:

(null).exe's Half-Life 2 HEV Suit

Come look at pictures, critique and just generally let me know how I'm doing!

(Also, all the pieces are made using the files as they're currently scaled, no edits)

*EDIT* I've updated the files for the lower arms (gauntlets) in my above post. The new unfolds have more pieces, but they're simpler, which should help prevent deformation and puckering.

firstaidmachine.jpg

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag82811/n/...Aid_Machine_pdo
hevcharger.jpg

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag82812/n/HEV_Charger_pdo

Based off designs by the Black Mesa Source team and Half Life 1.

BMS's render of theirs for reference:
chargers_beauty.jpg

I think these would be cool wall-art, or maybe you could mod them into some kinda shelf.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE((null).exe @ Jun 23 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jeebo, part2:

I just finished making the gauntlet using my scaling, and while I can't put my hand through the opening, my wrist will fit just fine, even with a glove on.

I would suggest doing what the MkVI people are doing and once the piece is resined/glassed, cutting and hinging the piece with some rare-earth magnets to keep it closed, it'll give it a better form-fitting look. If it was scaled up, you wouldn't have to cut anything, but I think it would look too bulky, just my .02 though.

Also, I've started a thread for my build:

(null).exe's Half-Life 2 HEV Suit

Come look at pictures, critique and just generally let me know how I'm doing!

(Also, all the pieces are made using the files as they're currently scaled, no edits)

*EDIT* I've updated the files for the lower arms (gauntlets) in my above post. The new unfolds have more pieces, but they're simpler, which should help prevent deformation and puckering.</div>
im pretty sure thats how they are supposed to be made if you look at the in game suit there are like hinges and joins that are visual id work from those

Nugget said:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag82812/n/HEV_Charger_pdo

Based off designs by the Black Mesa Source team and Half Life 1.

BMS's render of theirs for reference:
chargers_beauty.jpg

I think these would be cool wall-art, or maybe you could mod them into some kinda shelf.
hell yeah im gonna make those :D

Nugget said:
chargers_beauty.jpg

You sir, are win.

Any chance of getting that other model I asked for? I would have sent you a PM, but your box is full.

Wow, now I want to build a first aid cabinet for my shop that looks like a first-aid dispenser. Thanks a lot Nugget... :p

ive asked around and no one is giving me the time of day

can some one in here tell me what to scale this to to fit me

im 6 foot 1 inches tall

part 2 said:
ive asked around and no one is giving me the time of day

can some one in here tell me what to scale this to to fit me

im 6 foot 1 inches tall

You'll have to measure yourself, and adjust the scale of each part to fit you the way they do on Gordon. It'll be trial-and-error for the most part, since Null is the only one to have built most parts, that I know of.

Loess said:
You'll have to measure yourself, and adjust the scale of each part to fit you the way they do on Gordon. It'll be trial-and-error for the most part, since Null is the only one to have built most parts, that I know of.

so measure each part of me that needs armour ad measure it in what? (cm inch) and then what? could i send the measurements to you and you convert them for me? i literally only got pepakura thing for this suit so have no idea what to do :3

part 2 said:
so measure each part of me that needs armour ad measure it in what? (cm inch) and then what? could i send the measurements to you and you convert them for me? i literally only got pepakura thing for this suit so have no idea what to do :3

Ok when you open pepakura, pick your file, say the left thigh. since you should have the unfolded models I linked earlier, you can click on "2d pattern window" and then "Scale Up/Down development by specifying value" and then you should see a new window pop up. Mine says "Assembled Size (height) 36.0 cm" which is =my= size. since you're a bit taller, you're going to need to change it.

1. get a tape measure. a tailor's tape measure is best, but you can use a hardware tape measure too.

2. look at the Valve HL2 image i posted earlier to see where the piece sits on G.F.'s body, in our example the thigh goes from right above the knee joint to almost the waist.

3. measure on your body that same distance. as i said earlier, from just above my knee to just below my waist (i used where my hip curved back in) is about 36 cm.

4. input your measurement into pepakura. the whole model will jump up in size.

5. reposition the pieces on the page. since you're going up in size, you'll have to move the pieces around. possibly even make them sit on two pages. just work with it and you'll be fine :)

Hope that helps you man.

Also, I'm going to put the unfolded heights next to all my posted models so people can reference them easier.

Also, also: I'll post up some pictures of me wearing the stuff I can wear without cutting it open (which I'm going to wait to do until I have $$$ for resin and fiberglass) so you all can see the scaling.

(null).exe said:
Ok when you open pepakura, pick your file, say the left thigh. since you should have the unfolded models I linked earlier, you can click on "2d pattern window" and then "Scale Up/Down development by specifying value" and then you should see a new window pop up. Mine says "Assembled Size (height) 36.0 cm" which is =my= size. since you're a bit taller, you're going to need to change it.

1. get a tape measure. a tailor's tape measure is best, but you can use a hardware tape measure too.

2. look at the Valve HL2 image i posted earlier to see where the piece sits on G.F.'s body, in our example the thigh goes from right above the knee joint to almost the waist.

3. measure on your body that same distance. as i said earlier, from just above my knee to just below my waist (i used where my hip curved back in) is about 36 cm.

5. reposition the pieces on the page. since you're going up in size, you'll have to move the pieces around. possibly even make them sit on two pages. just work with it and you'll be fine :)

Hope that helps you man.

Also, I'm going to put the unfolded heights next to all my posted models so people can reference them easier.

Also, also: I'll post up some pictures of me wearing the stuff I can wear without cutting it open (which I'm going to wait to do until I have $$$ for resin and fiberglass) so you all can see the scaling.

:D thanks man :D

youll have to tell us how you hinge things

Wow you are awesome! I love hl2, i've already started a set of metrocop stuff, got the helmet that now only needs bondo, and I am going to get myself some boots (I always wanted some boots anyways, and not those gay platforms that emos wear) and some gloves (I am getting a pair of turtle shell gloves on my birthday next february) and a jacket, the vest I am going to start "knitting" soon, no kidding I am going to knit this, and perhaps also going to start on the backpart of the metrocop helmet and the upper back part as well (need ideas)

I wish you the best, perhaps you would also make some combine props aswell or weapons, idk, I hope you do.

Paul.

(null).exe said:

Hope that helps you man.

lol 2 things

1 i think i got away with your size

2 im about say 50%- 70% done on the upper left leg (might get it finished by tonight)

do i resin the inside and out then fiberglass the inside or just resin the outside adn glass the inside?

part 2 said:
:D thanks man :D

youll have to tell us how you hinge things

Hinge? I'm not following...are you talking about attaching the armor to the undersuit?

part 2 said:
lol 2 things

1 i think i got away with your size

2 im about say 50%- 70% done on the upper left leg (might get it finished by tonight)

do i resin the inside and out then fiberglass the inside or just resin the outside adn glass the inside?

Lightly resin both sides, then glass and resin the inside. Once that dries, re-resin the outside and then start with the bondo-ing

(null).exe said:
Hinge? I'm not following...are you talking about attaching the armor to the undersuit?

Lightly resin both sides, then glass and resin the inside. Once that dries, re-resin the outside and then start with the bondo-ing

you said you were going to hinge the lower arms?

also thnaks for the info :D but what is bondo and is it available in the uk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back