Props Halo 2 Anniversary Magnum, Campaign version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huxster2000

Hello chaps,

Thought I'd share some progress on a to-be 3D printed build I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. Now I was originally going to attempt making the magnum from H2A multiplayer as I love the design and I feel out of the two models it is the truest to the original. I made the following template by stitching various screenshots from theatre-mode together with concept art to fix the persepective:
final template.png

Now my intention was to use the template as a canvas for 3D modelling the piece, but upon starting the modelling of the handle I remembered that my modelling prowess is still that of a total amateur and I'm scared of curved objects. So I shelved this idea and moved on to the campaign magnum.

H2A_Render_M6CMagnum-Model-3View.jpg

It looks a bit more detailed in places but the overall shape of this gun made it easier for me to model using basic extrudes, cuts, fillets and chamfers. I made another template using screenshots from the campaign (that was a hastle), concept art and an STL file of the halo 4 magnum as it share some design features. I then got modelling.

blank vector.png

ScreenHunter 132.jpg ScreenHunter 133.jpg

I don't intend to make this a working replica, and I also want to produce castings so the slide and magazine are held in their positions using magnets purely for display/cosplay purposes. There are also a few inaccuracies in the model once again due to lack of skill but this should be easily remedied with a file and some sandpaper once it's printed.

With everything modelled I sent all the files over to 3D Print Direct for printing as I am a scrub and don't own a 3D printer myself. Different sized pieces print and different speeds so I've recieved all the small intricate pieces ahead of some of the larger sections.
IMG_5181.JPG

I'll start sanding and priming these and report back when the nect batch of pieces arrive!

Hux

Last edited:
An update!

I've made a fair bit of progress since my last post and I now have all the pieces of the gun printed and part way through the sanding/priming stage. The magazine has already been moulded and cast to test some mould making techniques:
IMG_5190.JPG IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5193.JPG IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5196.JPG IMG_5212.JPG IMG_5214.JPG IMG_5217.JPG IMG_5219.JPG
Here are the parts for the main body of the gun. The lower half is printed in some sort of graphite reinforced nylon and the top slide is SLA (I think):

IMG_5222.JPG IMG_5229.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Here's some of the detail on the top silde:

IMG_5226.JPG IMG_5225.JPG

I'm hoping to get the main body of the gun ready for moulding at some point next week.

Update time!

I wanted to make the top of the handle look like it was wrapping round the section it connects to. I did this by taping up the section and using it as a mould by pressing it against the handle which had filler applied on either side:
IMG_5234.JPG

I also had to create this little detail on the rear of the gun. This was done with 1mm plasticard:

IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5236.JPG IMG_5239.JPG IMG_5252.JPG

Once all the pieces of the main body of the gun had been glued together I just had to fill the join between the handle and the finger guard:

IMG_5238.JPG

And last but not least, some pictures of the current state of the piece:

IMG_5254.JPG IMG_5255.JPG IMG_5256.JPG IMG_5257.JPG IMG_5258.JPG IMG_5262.JPG

I hoping the start production of the mould of the main body of the gun this weekend. The top slide still has a few details missing but should come together fairly quickly.

I always like looking at peoples 3D printed things, it makes me want a printer myself more and more.

Funny you say that, I don't actually own a printer myself. I use 3D Print Direct. You just upload your file to their website, choose a material and they send you the parts in the post!

1,2 skip a few, 99 a gun!
IMG_5671.JPG

It took a while thanks to university work getting in the way but the M6C is finally finished. This is a completely resin relpication of the original 3d printed gun. Below are a few pics of how I got to this point, moulding, casting and painting:
IMG_5278.JPG IMG_5294.JPG IMG_5646.JPG IMG_5668.JPG

And a few snaps of the final piece:
IMG_5683.JPG IMG_5684.JPG IMG_5686.JPG IMG_5687.JPG IMG_5693.JPG IMG_5698.JPG
The gun has magnets hidden away to keep all the sections locked together.
Gotta say, I'm kinda glad it's finished!

I'd just like to clarify that this is painted more akin to its appearance in Halo Wars 2, mainly due to caution on my part but I also think this paint scheme highlights some of the detail better than its all black counterpart.
ScreenHunter 106.jpg

I love the design of this variation of the magnum, it feels a bit more 'real world-y' than some of the other models we've had (in my opinion at least).

Last edited:
1,2 skip a few, 99 a gun!
View attachment 251841

It took a while thanks to university work getting in the way but the M6C is finally finished. This is a completely resin relpication of the original 3d printed gun. Below are a few pics of how I got to this point, moulding, casting and painting:
View attachment 251842 View attachment 251843 View attachment 251844 View attachment 251845

And a few snaps of the final piece:
View attachment 251846 View attachment 251847 View attachment 251848 View attachment 251849 View attachment 251850 View attachment 251851
The gun has magnets hidden away to keep all the sections locked together.
Gotta say, I'm kinda glad it's finished!
Puuuurrttttyyy...That looks amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back