halo 3 recon NOW FULL SUIT! wip by Spartansonny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, this is lookin pretty damn slick, I must say. I love it. I'm not really lookin forward to doing any bondo work... ZERO experience with everything still. Only working on my power fist, lol. I totally enjoy the tricks you've learnt though.
Thanks Maestro :) Bondo work is intimidating and strenous for sure at first but once you get the hang of it its not bad at all. my best tip for bondo is to just use it sparingly and work in sections. take your time and don't rush.

Halex I never liked it either, not in game or just standard. That is until the render was found, after that i thought hell i could make that standard recon look similar to this and it would be a great one off and a challenge. the more i work on it the better i feel about it. i still have alot of detail to finish on this now month long project but the rest of the detail will be easy enough for me to do. Dude, i have been watching your thread and your rifle build is amazing!

Thanks for the kind words Sonny, really appreciate it! I should be onto the bondo stage of it soon, then I'll be doing exactly as you said... taking it slow and applying it sparingly. Will also be wishing I had your skills at detailing, hah!

I was looking at the render just yesterday and wondered how you were going to tackle the lights, you did not disappoint. Great work as always!

I was looking at the render just yesterday and wondered how you were going to tackle the lights, you did not disappoint. Great work as always!
thank you my friend, it took me forever because when i started the work on that today i had no idea what i was gonna do about it or how i was gonna even do it. not quite the same as the render but pretty close i believe :) wish i had a small lathe to turn the tubes for the lights out of aluminum and etch in some details. the plastic tubes i used weren't thick enough to add in that detail there.

not quite the same as the render but pretty close i believe wish i had a small lathe to turn the tubes for the lights out of aluminum and etch in some details. the plastic tubes i used weren't thick enough to add in that detail there.

Sonny, just a thought. You could use the tail of an RC helicopter...fill with rondo then use that...that would give a better thickness and the aluminum for carving details.

over 4,000 views. you guys are great! i honestly never expected this to get this many views or responses whatsoever. this kind of support from this community drives me to finish these projects knowing there are so many that enjoy the same thing i do, making cool stuff with our own hands and saying that we did it on our own.

So that little rant of appreciation is done, I have a very tiny update, but it was fairly difficult to pull off due to the fact of finding the material to do so. just scraps laying around made this detail. It consisted of a small plastic tube, cards, glue, and bondo. i had everything but the tube lol. in a sense I made a form to carve away for the detail.

Picture time
544059_558682977492886_678404469_n.jpg

397605_558683087492875_1465956965_n.jpg

408507_558683214159529_1904545216_n.jpg

734298_558687100825807_1389481449_n.jpg

since i couldn't sleep here is what i did, and now my house smells like rondo lol
58234_558756107485573_924269680_n.jpg

424454_558756140818903_208099032_n.jpg

i made foam patterns for the recessed pieces and since i didn't have any double sided thin sticky film transfer i laid out masking tape on my cut mat big enough for the patterns and than glued the craft foam onto that with superglue, waited for it to dry than stuck my patterns on in the spots they belong in. cut them out and whala, sticky backed foam ghetto style lol. I than made a card wall around the area i wanted with hotglue and poored a very small batch of rondo up over the foam a slight bit, sanded down the rondo (when it dried) to the top of the foam and than dug the foam out and cleaned up the inside edges.

So from here when i get some more supplies i will be adding the neck seal details, the "blocks that you see on the render in post 1 and i will take progress pics and post them. just this small detail took me 2 hours lol, from conception to final product. I almost decided to leave this small detail out but now i am happy i didn't do so. Back to unfolding some helmets for everyone, i am currently working on the raider unfold from fathi555 and finishing the air assault from STATYK. see you guys soon 405th! hope you enjoy the small update.

Very nice attention to detail, this is really looking great. Cool technique too. I can't wait to see this all painted up.

Very nice attention to detail, this is really looking great. Cool technique too. I can't wait to see this all painted up.
thanks sara :) i too am eager fot th e paint kob, just dont know what i am gonna do yet lol
Looking awesome, I'm loving the amount of detail your putting into this helmet.

thorn i appreciate your kind words :) the detailing is what's taking me so long to finish butt it's a slow step by step. eventually it will come together

thanks for thinking this is getting epic johnnymars! i will take your word for it!

Skully i hope some of the stuff i post helps you out in your builds bro.

Finally finished the front face tonight! all the details i want to keep are there and I am happy with it :) just some clean up, add a touch of bondo here and there and she is ready for the next part of the strenous detail stage :) i posted some of the progress pics on the complete work for the rebreathers and how i brought them up.
537144_559190140775503_995532891_n.jpg

THis is the card wall form with craft foam patterns inside where i didn't want the rondo

530648_559190010775516_118403597_n.jpg

and this here is what it looked like filled up to where i wanted it, just to the top of the foam

45570_559189657442218_676479536_n.jpg

below the breather view to show how high it was all built up (before it was just a small less than 1/8" raise)

and the full frontal shot of both sides and the nub on the front middle of the face
156354_559189917442192_1704918720_n.jpg

So okay, i am now done with the face lol, minus the dual visor setup. gonna start the ears and neck seal along with the side cheek details. i know some of you are probably tired of reading about the agony with this part of the build lol.

i know some of you are probably tired of reading about the agony with this part of the build lol.

Nope.

This looks really great, can't wait to see it all one colour, that's when it comes to life. The breather detail looks amazing, keep it up!
Can't remember if I've already asked but are you moulding and casting? I think I'd really like to get one of these :)

Nope.

This looks really great, can't wait to see it all one colour, that's when it comes to life. The breather detail looks amazing, keep it up!
Can't remember if I've already asked but are you moulding and casting? I think I'd really like to get one of these :)

THanks for the support Sara! you, skully, and zercon are my main followers and I appreciate that :) As far as moulding and casting I am honestly not sure. I guess if there was enough of a demand i would, I am still undecided, the last attempt I had at moulding went horribly south of cheese but I got some insider tips from Zercon which would help me out if i do it again. more than likely i will try again, just have to finish up the scout than decide which one I want to do lol. But hey, like I said, if the demand is there than yes i would do this one first.

The bondo work still makes me envious, as I know I will try to mimic a lot of these tips and tricks and will likely 'rofl-fail' all over the place XD

Either way it's coming along nicely! And if you do decide to do another shot at molding? I would be perfectly happy to give my insight on the process and all sorts of links to the suggested materials. I know I already dumped a laundry list of tips and tricks on you hah.

Zercon i will take all of your tips that you can dish out lol. the way i do the bondo work and the detail takes awhile due to constantly make all the stencils and than building some of the forms, twice or even up to five times if you arent satisfied. thats why the face took so long, i couldn't get to a happy point with it lol. until recently that is. I will help you with all the bondo work that I know of if you need it :)

Hey Sonny.

Loving the vent details they really giving the lid that extra something now. I know what you mean about taking time getting it right. I must have spent a month now on refining my ironman helmet but as you well know its worth it. I'd like to add that when I start my next helmets I will be visiting yours and Sara's threads a lot for tips, insperation and just cause I love looking at your works. I think I am going to do Ironmn MK VIII and Masterchif MK VI first, yes both at the same time :)

Looking forward to the next instailment,
Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back