Halo 3 Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeKegan said:
This is a pic of what I have done so far.
w00t.gif
heartbeat.gif
laughing.gif
its party time

Last edited by a moderator:
SPARTAN II said:
He mainly uses poplar for his builds. As for tools, I know he uses a very small, very fine chisel for the detail work (he shows/explains his tools of choice in one of his vids, actually). Can't remember the rest, lol.

My main tools are the scroll saw and table top sander. Along with the table saw, Another saw that I'm for some reason drawing a blank, Drill press, and a razor knife. Along with what SPARTAN II posted.

I mainly use poplar in all sizes from LOWE's.

P.S.: A little off-topic, but... did you manage to stop by the hardware store yet regarding PVC tubing?

Yes and they do have the 3" pvc.

Crucible said:
Word to note about when this piece actually gets cast - would you plan to cast the scope in halves so people can add their own technology to it, or will it be a solid piece that people would have to dremmel themselves?

I was thinking about doing it in both styles? I think!

Wow that is really over the top, in a great way. Who's idea was it for the baby monitor? I must have missed a few areas of the topic. Awesome stuff.

Privateer said:
Man if the funds were there i just saw a wireless baby monitor thats a camera and a display at target. The cam is about the same size as a smallish webcam and the monitor is a small handheld unit bout like a old walkman radio. You could gut the display for the important parts and mount it in a helmet, talk about true to game you could link your helmet with your weapon optics.

Cheers!

smick6 said:
Wow that is really over the top, in a great way. Who's idea was it for the baby monitor? I must have missed a few areas of the topic. Awesome stuff.

Hope this answers the question Smick6. Privateer sugested a baby camera and here we are now.

So thanks Privateer!

LeeKegan said:
Yes and they do have the 3" pvc.

I was thinking about doing it in both styles? I think!

Just got to see the latest update/vid, and man that night vision looks awesome! I'm definately leaning toward doing the same for my own SR :D

Personally, I'd go with hollow-cast (who wouldn't want to wire this bad boy? lol), but it probably would be a good idea to have both options.

Glad to hear you were able to find some 3" PVC, btw. That'll help a great deal.

Hey Lee love what your doing with that baby monitor :p

SprayNoob

*(Hey, i was wondering if you can, describe, if not already, how you are putting the scope together with the baby monitor, I seem interested in following from your ideas and Spartan's II's ideas aswell, :p, i really can't help it, Tttttttthhhhaaaannnks)

SprayNoob said:
[...]

*(Hey, i was wondering if you can, describe, if not already, how you are putting the scope together with the baby monitor, I seem interested in following from your ideas and Spartan's II's ideas aswell, :p, i really can't help it, Tttttttthhhhaaaannnks)

Well, from what I can gather from his WiP scope so far, the obvious first step is to remove the original casing for the baby monitor, lol :p J/k

If it were me doing it (and hopefully it will be sometime soon, lol) I'd fabricate some sort of internal structure/frame to hold the screen in place so that it doesn't shift around.

Lee could very well be doing the same thing with some of his poplar wood. It would be easy enough to do.

Another option would be to simply glue it in place, but then you run into the possibility of the glue losing it's adhesiveness over time, so you would have to open up the scope (that's the benefit of having a two-part casting) to re-secure it again and again.

Someone had suggested maybe wiring it through the magazine, but given the working features he'll have in there for the fake bullets (like he did for his M6G, BR and Ithica's AR) that wouldn't really work.

If I'm not mistaken, Lee plans on wiring the power supply for the scope through the upper front receiver. No doubt he'll be doing something to secure all the different components (screen, circuit boards, batteries) in place so they don't move around inside.

Wouldn't want to have a rattling SR when on parade duty:lol:

SPARTAN II said:
Well, from what I can gather from his WiP scope so far, the obvious first step is to remove the original casing for the baby monitor, lol :p J/k

If it were me doing it (and hopefully it will be sometime soon, lol) I'd fabricate some sort of internal structure/frame to hold the screen in place so that it doesn't shift around.

Lee could very well be doing the same thing with some of his poplar wood. It would be easy enough to do.

Another option would be to simply glue it in place, but then you run into the possibility of the glue losing it's adhesiveness over time, so you would have to open up the scope (that's the benefit of having a two-part casting) to re-secure it again and again.

Someone had suggested maybe wiring it through the magazine, but given the working features he'll have in there for the fake bullets (like he did for his M6G, BR and Ithica's AR) that wouldn't really work.

If I'm not mistaken, Lee plans on wiring the power supply for the scope through the upper front receiver. No doubt he'll be doing something to secure all the different components (screen, circuit boards, batteries) in place so they don't move around inside.

Wouldn't want to have a rattling SR when on parade duty:lol:

You pretty much hit it on the dot.

Here are some updates. Pics then a video!

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

LeeKegan said:
You pretty much hit it on the dot.

Here are some updates. Pics then a video!

[img]
[vid][/QUOTE]

I guess great minds think alike, huh buddy? :lol:

When I get home after production's wrapped up tonight, I'll check out those updates *curses stupid at-work server restrictions*

uh duh...*brains melting*. I don't know what to say...teach me, how. I love this thread so much that i have it bookmarked on browser and check it at least 20 times a day. I gotta go get some poplar, that stuff is so soft and smooth.

DYSTORTED INC said:
uh duh...*brains melting*. I don't know what to say...teach me, how. I love this thread so much that i have it bookmarked on browser and check it at least 20 times a day. I gotta go get some poplar, that stuff is so soft and smooth.

Though I haven't used it myself for any of my own projects, from what I understand (both from Lee and others) it's definately one of the easier soft woods to use for this kind of work. Trying to use something like MDF board would be a real pain in the @$$, lol.

And what, you only check this thread twenty times a day? Shame on you. I check this thread, well... a lot more than that (lost count) :lol:

SPARTAN II said:
And what, you only check this thread twenty times a day? Shame on you. I check this thread, well... a lot more than that :lol:

Well ya know, i'm in sales and not always in the office...so i have to check it on my blackberry. :D

Aww, muffin. Poor you. My heart bleeds. At least you get to see all the pics and vids when Lee put thems up lol

P.S.: And yes... I used the cursed "aw, muffin" line on you. MWAHAHAHA! :cool:

SPARTAN II said:
Aww, muffin. Poor you. My heart bleeds. At least you get to see all the pics and vids when Lee put thems up lol

P.S.: And yes... I used the cursed "aw, muffin" line on you. MWAHAHAHA! :cool:

thanks suga plum. :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back