Halo 4 & 5 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Discussion in 'Halo Soft Parts' started by Vrogy, May 24, 2015.

1. ObiJ3ff

ObiJ3ff

My gawd man, this is Awesome

2. Vrogy

Vrogy

Not right now. The undersuit parts will be available as a kit before Christmas- if everything goes to plan.
    Thanks.

I got pretty far on this before dragoncon - then hit some time crunches and switched to something a little less challenging to pull off in time- a wearable Fallout Eyebot and a revamp of some Skyrim Dragonbone armor.

Anyways, I'd last prepared most of the undersuit hard parts, and procured a mask and an arm 3d model.
    Next was patterning out the undersuit-
    21072988684_fe01fb9537_z.jpg Untitled 21507750180_ab62b0c0a5_z.jpg Untitled

But things seemed off - the mask ended up being a little large on my body, and I haven't got a Spartan physique - I'm gangly, long-limbed. So I opted to build the undersuit over some foam muscles - sort of like a lightweight musclesuit. The patterns got ripped up and thrown away. I made some basic torso and upper arm muscle patterns and cut them from super soft foam, then sculpted them roughly to shape with scissors and careful side cuts. They were glued onto the base spandex morphsuit with Barge cement.

21669626166_e38a147cc9_z.jpg Untitled 21074697103_0d063a92da_z.jpg Untitled

Much better proportions, considering the source material. So I re-taped it and started back at patterns.

21670062666_9fd5e2d8a3_c.jpg Untitled 21508292258_965d5457d3_c.jpg Untitled

I've yet to solve the base hex fabric problem in a way I can accept, but I'm on test #6 or so. Underarmor parts will be molded soon, as well. More as it happens.

TheJrACE likes this.
  3. Lightning13

Lightning13 New Member

He's doing the "Just Do It!" pose from Shia Laboeuf's video

4. Evolver79

Evolver79

This is some incredible work! I'd be interested in a kit. Do you have a rough idea on cost and what parts would be included?

5. JimmyAngler

JimmyAngler New Member

6. MikyVengeance

MikyVengeance

This is an amazing idea. If you sell kits, I think I would be interested for my own suit. Keep up the great work!

7. fredwordsplat

fredwordsplat

Re: Halo 4 & 5 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Looking Good!

- - - Updated - - -

Looking Good!

8. Pappa Midnight

Pappa Midnight Jr Member

Looking great guys. I have two idea for the remainder of the undersuit (the Hexed pieces). they both involve a 3d model of those parst ( w/o hex pattern ). once they are modeled in 3d, separate the individual sections [ chest - upper back, stomache - lower back, upper arms / shoulders, lower arms / fore arms, cod, Thighs, calfs. etc. ( do this so that you can size each individual section in pepakura)
    flip the normals in the 3d modeling program OR wait and flip the faces in Pepakura.

for a molded looking suit (foam, silicone, latex):
    - cut and Pep or 3d print inverted parts
    - put together the parts to creat your "inverted mold." of each separated body section.
    - spray the insides with heavy duty adhesive
    - line the "inverted mold" with loose mesh netting ( purchase at your local fabric store. I get mine from Jo-ann fabrics)
    - seal inverted molds with acrylic sealer spray {let is dry}
    - spread your medium (latex, silicon, foam) inside of the mold. be sure to get it into all the nooks of the netting ((let that cure))
    - " you get the rest"

For a Fabric suit.
    - purchase aluminum Mesh [like the one you have pictured on first page], purchase the fabric, and Puffy / 3D fabric paint. i go to Jo-Ann fabric for both.
    - create fabric patterns, either in 3d program or using pepakura (there's a Tut out there make sure there is flange)
    - trace patterns onto the fabric ( but do not cut them yet)
    - flip the fabric over, place the aluminum mesh on top and roll / spray ( brushing takes forever)
    - remove the mesh and repeat until fabric is covered. (let the paint puff up and dry)
    - cut out the paterns, pieces together, and stitch

the coolest thing about this method. "IT'S DOWNLOADABLE"
    i have tested thes techniques on small models but never had a proper 3d model to build an entire suit. plus i had my worries about replicating the nonhex portions of the suit. But you have that solution. if any one can point me to a 3d model of the undersuit, i would love to make a tut about peicing this together. thanks

peterthethinker likes this.
  9. benjamin1228

benjamin1228

Looking great guys

10. K3v

K3v New Member

Such amazing detail!

11. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer

Wow, it'll be awesome :D

12. Vrogy

Vrogy

m073 likes this.
  13. Frozensnot

Frozensnot

That kit is looking great! If you were ever planning on selling a kit, I would seriously consider one.

14. Vrogy

Vrogy

15. Lazarus215

Lazarus215

yeeeesssss! I seriously cant wait to get my hands on one of these kits!

16. Thefabricator

Thefabricator

i cant remember who or where i got it from but i have an obj undersuit file if you want it i can email it to you ?

Pappa Midnight likes this.
  17. Ckesner

Ckesner New Member

I hate to ask, but do you have a link to the amazon page for the hex sheet metal you used? I have done countless searches and all I come up with is cheap car grill replacement material. I'm looking for something more substantial, like what you have. Thanks.

18. Termhn

Termhn 405th Regiment Officer

I would definitely be interested in buying one of these depending on the price.

19. Vrogy

Vrogy

I literally have 4 Fallout kits in various stages(10mm, alien blaster, kremvh's tooth, minigun), but I've put some more time into undersuit parts lately.

HIPS has to be glued together with epoxy, which along with part warping means seams.
    24495878413_6112220c74_z.jpg 24495877983_65f46d3b65_z.jpg

24827077140_ed58dbcde2_z.jpg

25096391476_ac1a50d6de_z.jpg

25004507072_c90fd87d3f_z.jpg

Spine is seamed together too, one more putty and primer pass should do it.
    25122711535_a056146a6e_z.jpg

No pictures, but the neck bit is good to go as well.

I got a quote from a screenprinting place around the corner from the shop I work at - large puffy paint-screenprinted hex grids on spandex can be done and is affordable. I think, layered with open-cell foam, it could be a viable undersuit base material. We'll see how the samples turn out.

TheJrACE likes this.
  20. Lazarus215

Lazarus215

Again, super excited about all the progress on this!

looks outstanding! Just have a question about the HIPS. Does it friction weld well using a dremel or other rotary tool? because that fills in seams very nicely, and can be sanding down relatively painlessly. Could also save you some cash on the putty if the gaps need a lot of passes.

21. evillord363

evillord363 New Member

wow very well done! do tou have an estimated price for these badboys?

22. Vrogy

Vrogy

TheJrACE and pipninja like this.
  23. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

I know your still doing estimates of prices. Are you considering individual part pricing also? I would be interested in the whole back/spine area.

24. Huntress217

Huntress217

Not sure if this helps, but I actually sewed neodymium magnets into my undersuit so that my smaller undersuit pieces attatch/detatch easily and appear to "float." This makes it easy to wash, but I've never put it in a machine because of all the snaps and magnets. I usually hand wash mine in my sink.

25. AtomicDeadlock

AtomicDeadlock

Are you going to release these files so we can make them? :)