1st Build Halo 4 and infinite Master Chief build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoPipps

Hi, I am very new to foam working and this is my first big project. I am very open to criticisms and any tips or helpful advice for the future and I'll gladly share what little knowledge I have learned thus far. All pieces are made of foam and I'm using 1/2 inch thick foam mats with a smaller 5mm mat for small details. I did not make the helmet, it's just there for reference, but I do plan on making my own as soon as we can get the 3D printer up as it has some issues right now. I was inspired to make this by Impact Props series "Living with Chief" and I am going to make the helmet the same way they did. Please enjoy, and good luck to your own projects.

Attachments

• 2Arms.JPG
    2Arms.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 215
  • Arm.JPG
    Arm.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • ArmsWHelmet.JPG
    ArmsWHelmet.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 220
Heya NachoPipps, and welcome to the 405th! You've got some really good detail on those forearms! Correct me if I'm wrong, did you use hot glue for seams? You've done a really good job at keeping the seams clean, but also take a look at contact cement - it's a really great adhesive for EVA foam.

What's the next piece you have lined up?

Hi, I actually used contact cement, I personally use Barge all purpose cement but I'm pretty new to this so far. I was going to do the shoulder piece, but it didn't come with the file from the armory, so I'll probably do the shin armor then thigh armor, then piece together the shoulder armor if I cant find a file for it.

You didn't sound rude at all, I just wasn't being too careful about getting the cement on top by accident, i just need to apply it in smaller amounts. It wont be visible after painting though, so I wasn't too worried about it. is it bad to get small amounts on top or is it just a visual thing? also, do you have any tips for scaling the chest piece?

You didn't sound rude at all, I just wasn't being too careful about getting the cement on top by accident, i just need to apply it in smaller amounts. It wont be visible after painting though, so I wasn't too worried about it. is it bad to get small amounts on top or is it just a visual thing? also, do you have any tips for scaling the chest piece?
If you get any glue on top, you should be able to lightly sand it away (preferably with a power sanding tool like a rotary tool), or you may be able to use a solvent to break it up.
For scaling armour, a very helpful program is Armorsmith. It costs $35USD, but definitely worth it to save material, time and stress. It allows you to make a virtual avatar of your body based on measurements so you can then import and scale 3D model and Pepakura files to fit. With that, you can either unfold the files for foam/papercraft or export the scaled objects to be 3D printed.

Hi, I am very new to foam working and this is my first big project. I am very open to criticisms and any tips or helpful advice for the future and I'll gladly share what little knowledge I have learned thus far. All pieces are made of foam and I'm using 1/2 inch thick foam mats with a smaller 5mm mat for small details. I did not make the helmet, it's just there for reference, but I do plan on making my own as soon as we can get the 3D printer up as it has some issues right now. I was inspired to make this by Impact Props series "Living with Chief" and I am going to make the helmet the same way they did. Please enjoy, and good luck to your own projects.
So I finished cutting out the shin pieces, now I just have to assemble them. This is only one shin, so I've still got a lot of work to do.

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
Ok, small update. I cut the shin pieces way too small and I just finished resizing and cutting out the new ones after a small break. I also added a little more detail to the left forearm, and I should have both shins finished by tomorrow, and then I'll put up some pictures.

You've got some really good foam work there! I can't wait to see what they look like after finishing!

OK, managed to get both shoulder pieces done across yesterday and today. Still not sure how to attach them since the outer part is raised a bit, but I think I want to paint it before that. Thigh armor next, then the chest piece. Trying to get this done before June 18th so I have to work on it pretty much everyday until then.

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 153
  • DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 147
I was feeling good and decided to attach the shoulder plate to the support, sorry for posting so much today, but I'm getting a lot done fast. Thigh armor should be done by the 31st since I will be gone for a while.

Attachments

• DSC00089.JPG
    DSC00089.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
  • DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
OK, just got back from a trip and finished the left thigh piece. I decided to use the Halo Infinite thigh armor as it's much simpler and it looked a lot easier than the 405th halo 4 piece. Planning on wearing this for the last day of school (Teacher approved) but I doubt anyone will notice the mix up since it's not too noticeable unless you know it's there. Here are the pictures, will update on chest piece as soon as I can.

Attachments

• DSC00092.JPG
    DSC00092.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00093.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
OK, got a lot done yesterday and today. Got the Back and COD plates done. Yes, it's the armor from infinite and it doesn't match up to well, but the Halo 4 armor is too complicated for me at the moment since I'm in a bit of a time crunch. I also just really like how it looks and that it covers my entire torso unlike the Halo 4 piece.
The wires coming out of the helmet are for some fans and LED's which haven't been fully installed. The helmet gets a little stuffy if I have it on for too long.

Working on the middle section and I should have a good progress update by tomorrow.

Attachments

• Dull_2.jpg
    Dull_2.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Full_1.jpg
    Full_1.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 147
That’s awesome!

Today I got all of the pieces that I have completed sealed with red Plastidip. Now to paint 'em all and finish the chest piece.

Attachments

• DSC00097.JPG
    DSC00097.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 151
  • DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC00101.JPG
    DSC00101.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
  • DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 139
Today I got all of the pieces that I have completed sealed with red Plastidip. Now to paint 'em all and finish the chest piece.
It's looking really great! I do have a question, did you brush on the plastidip or how did you work it? Thinking about a future possible upgrade to my armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back