Halo 4 Locus Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runemaster117

So I commissioned one of my buddies to make the locus helmet that my character wears. I love the look of the helmet so much that I just really wanted one for myself. What im trying to get to is that I AM NOT MAKING THIS. I actually have no real experience with Pep or bondo or foam, but I do want to learn. Eventually I want to have an entire set of Spartan IV armor (including the skin tight undersuit ;) )

Heres the actual Helmet for reference
H4_Locus_Helmet.jpg

Heres the visor.
IMAG0279.jpg

I see that he has the top part raised instead of recessed. that's fine. knowing the issues with the hemet not having enough room for peoples heads, this should give even a bit more room height wise. we've adapted the helmet to fit width wise.

So the plan is to have the visor and the rest of the helmet separate. from there once its all done I will put tracks on the visor and the rest of the helm so the visor can slide up. He will send me photos as he progresses. How long that will take... Who knows.

On a side note, Heres my Character :)

Halo4Armor.png

It's a little pixelated cuz its zoomed in using ctrl+ and cropped so you all don't see my crappy KD and W/L ratio xD
Ive got the Locus Helmet and the Raider chest/shoulders if you're wondering

Nobody else is going to comment..? Lol

Fine ill be the first :p looks pretty darn good, glad to have ya here on
the 405th, might seem a little cumbersome at first but it's really
enjoyably after you get used to the pepping. I generally only found
2 pieces for my Kirrou Helmet that gave me any problems but other than that most
Of the it's pretty straight forward.

Can't wait to see what it's like when it's done... Hopefully you don't finish
Before me... Lol I started 9 months ago lol

Yeah, im building on also, and made the mistake of printing the pep with materials on, so I could barely see the fold lines. But apart from a few pieces glued inside-out, it was a pretty straightforward pep. Things can get a bit distressing around the mouth area, but its manageable. Sizing can be an issue with this helmet, its very narrow and the collar section can be too tight to fit your head trough. Im planning on cutting the jaw and the back of the head on mine if i ever get to finish it. Good luck with your commission!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! He did this in a few hours of being on break from high school. He plans to have it pepped, bondoed, and sanded by June. Another buddy in college and myself are going to paint it. The question is whether to do the red with white stripe or white with red stripe. Im thinking white, gives it a sort of red cross type of look like im going to be the most badass medic in the field. Biogel from deaths head haha.

Once I'm graduated and get a job i will be working on making an undersuit and the other armor pieces (by which time halo 5 through 9 will probably be released for the xbox 3)

That's why I got someone to do it for me ;) I paid him $150 total: $50 for supplies and $100 for labor to be done by the end of May/early June.

That's why I got someone to do it for me ;) I paid him $150 total: $50 for supplies and $100 for labor to be done by the end of May/early June.

Hopefully whoever is working for you is spending enough time on the bondo stage. There are too many curved area. And also, if they are using Saatchmo file, there is a mistake on the side of the helmet. The area above the ear should be raised, not sunken. See my Locus helmet below. It was 80% done until I realized that I can't wear it because it is too narrow on the side.
IMG_2883.jpg

And I have three videos on my YouTube channel on my Locus helmet.

Pepakura helmet:

Almost completed helmet:

And bondo tutorial using Locus helmet:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey CoolC! The funny thing is that your build inspired me to get this created. I'll have my commissioner take a look at this but I told him about it and he had already taken into account the variation on the unwearable width and adjusted the pep. I'm assuming the past where you have your thumb on the above pic is where the error is?

Hey CoolC! The funny thing is that your build inspired me to get this created. I'll have my commissioner take a look at this but I told him about it and he had already taken into account the variation on the unwearable width and adjusted the pep. I'm assuming the past where you have your thumb on the above pic is where the error is?

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the area where I'm pointing at is where the error is.

An update!??

So im not sure if any of the people who used to follow this thread are around, but its been a long time since my last update, about 5 months to be exact. I really fell off the earth when it came to Pepping my helmet but i picked it up about 2 days ago and spent a total amount of time around 7 hours finishing up this pep. I'll post the pictures of progress and finally the completed helmet.

this is the progress i had when i left it to gather dust about 5 months ago, approx. 2/3rds complete. Front
20130618_125759.jpg

Left Side. Obviously incomplete
20130618_125735.jpg

Right Side, not too shabby
20130618_125718.jpg

Back, needs some love
20130618_125727.jpg

I really wish i would have spent more time in the intricate bits in the front. A lot of it was really half assed but i'm confident ill be able to straighten it out and fix it during the resin and bondo/Fiberglass phase. Here is the finished product!

Top view, I really wanted to show my admitted flaws, but also my hope that it can be remedied with some TLC (Tender Loving Creativity)
20130720_192236.jpg

Left
20130720_192222.jpg

Back, Those are some smooth lines. A little uneven, but soon to be fixed (I hope)
20130720_192209.jpg

Right, That big orange spot is from my highlighter i use for mountain folds... it went kersplunk and exploded on the helmet xD)
20130720_192202.jpg

Front, you can see some more of the lacking symmetry. by compressing and pulling on other areas it will straighten out.
20130720_191802.jpg

Wearing it, This is by far the funniest shot. So in the nose area there is a VERY tiny hole that when my eyes focus properly i can see out of. Only problem is, i cant see a lot out of it xD. That led to this very blurry shot, but its proof that it fits and it slides on and off without having to cut or manipulate pieces. the only thing that remotely gets in the way is my ears haha
20130720_192429.jpg

And for good measure an owner shot, with much better focus xD
20130720_192505.jpg

I hope you liked what you saw, next steps are starting my orbital chest and working on the Resin/Fiberglass/Bondo phase. For good measure since this is my second pep, im going to use my first helmet which is the EVA Legends varient that Satchmo also did, as my testing grounds to get a feel for the bondo and fiberglass, which i've never used before. That should take me another year at this rate! See y'all then! :)

dude i love it so far, for the visor are you going to buys a visor with the right color and then airbrush it or how is that going to work?

Im going to set it up so the visor actually is a separate piece and slides up on ball bearings. However on the inside there will be augmented reality glasses connected closed circiut mini camera on the exterior of the helmet.

Hey everyone. Its been two months since an update but its about time. I resined and slush casted the inside of my helmet with rondo. The outside is still asymmetric and will have to be fixed with external bondo and sanding. I will also need to cut some of the helmet to allow my ears to get in so it is wearable. Shouldn't be too much work. I will post pictures tomorrow.

I didn't understand what you meant by the ball bearings unless u mean to make the front area hinged which sounds cool, but your glasses idea sounds brilliant! Where would I find me some and with the cameras?

Well today I will be cutting the visor away from the rest of the helmet so I can more properly plan out the next stage of the build. But the cheapest little camera I found was this one here: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/hd+keychain+video+recorder.do?sortby=priceAscend&from=fn

Connect that to a pair of glasses that has an rca in to be able to see the outside world. Once the battery dies however I can simply lift up the vs or to see optically. The glasses are anywhere from $250-500 for good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back