Halo 4 undersuit (undecided on armor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just back into my corner of shame now... Playing with my silly uncool foam...

Haha, it looks great dude! Way to introduce yourself to us!

Thanks again for all of the support. I finally figured out how to reply to people directly--I can be a little techno-tarded at times--so hopefully that'll make my responses a little more efficient. I don't know if I'll be able to get another pic update before I fly out in T-minus 5 hours. So this might be goodbye to the suit for a little as this thread will transition into a full SOF inspired recon suit build (hopefully) and a space-age SOPMOD kit for the Ma37.

oh my god that is soo awesome. are you going to make some sort of way to attach armor to it? like Velcro? or magnets?

The under suit is VERY well constructed. But it seems to have added a fair bit of size to your overall bulk. Is this going to impact the fitting of your armour or have you already accounted for that?

Thanks. It definitely has added bulk, but not as severe as the pics make it look. The foam is 1" but most of the sheets are cut in half and the fabric further depresses it so at any point the farthest it stands off is maybe 3/4". But you're right it's still going to impact the fitting. I originally planned on using EVA foam because it's so much easier to work with IMO but that would end up being too thick. Now I plan on a scratch build that will be integrated into the under suit using buckles/clips.

Agreed on the "marry me" part. *cough*

and I can smell elite too. Dude, you're making the forum run rabid. This hasn't happened in a while. You've made like 2 posts and you already have 4 pages of comments. Congrats. I must say, I find this inspiring too.

Awww shucks haha but really thank you; especially considering it was your build that largely inspired this one

This is extremely well done! However... I will NOT marry you, lol!!! :)

All joking aside, I appreciate you taking the time to document how you put the pieces together. It really is impressive looking. I too am reminded of the Nano suit when I see this. I'm looking forward to your next update. :D

Tease. Haha but yeah definitely. So many of you guys have helped me, probably without even realizing it, so ask away and I'll do my best to answer. Yeah I agree if worse comes to worse this can phase into Crytek's next gen prophet haha.

this is absolutely amazing but i feel as if its kinda a cheat if someone else is doing all the sewing. its like cutting the pieces out and letting someone else pep, resin, fiberglass, rondo, and sand it but yet you get all the praise.

just my opinion. it still looks great though.

Thank you and the way this is being built, there is no way I could do it on my own. My grandma really is a saint for helping out. We started this in the summer (before any decent S4 exo-suits were out) so it has been essentially improvised from the ground up and since it's built with functionality in mind I'm my own mannequin, which makes it tricky to do on my own. But I'd have to say that 60+ hours for about 1/3 of a suit is analogous to more than cutting out pep pieces. Maybe making the 3D model and unfolding it haha, but you're right, to each their own.

Thanks. It definitely has added bulk, but not as severe as the pics make it look. The foam is 1" but most of the sheets are cut in half and the fabric further depresses it so at any point the farthest it stands off is maybe 3/4". But you're right it's still going to impact the fitting. I originally planned on using EVA foam because it's so much easier to work with IMO but that would end up being too thick. Now I plan on a scratch build that will be integrated into the under suit using buckles/clips.

This is going to be VERY interesting to follow. Ill be around here somewhere hoping to see the finished product! :)

I definitely hope to see this come back soon, btw have you thought of vacforming over the pieces you made to make a mold and then just fill it in with expanding foam or something to make it thinner? It would cut WAY down on the bulk.

8386733595_3c3cbcf433.jpg
8386733503_9528ba49d9.jpg
8386733389_38b308b6bd.jpg

This is what has become of the necro'ed MA37 build in my signature. I decided to take a different turn once I started building again and sort of made a hybrid of the MA37 and the BR85HB SR. I'm still deciding whether to put a hand guard or design a grenade launcher. I bought the led counter way back from a separate site run by a 405th member whose name I can't remember at the time, but it works perfectly. The switch is placed in the thumb-thru, it's set to full auto mode, and the counter restarts when the charging handle is pulled back.

Erm how the hell have I missed all this so far?!?! Well I'm subscribed now everything looks awesome dude nice work! Someone may have asked but what's it like for heat build up?

8386733595_3c3cbcf433.jpg
8386733503_9528ba49d9.jpg
8386733389_38b308b6bd.jpg

This is what has become of the necro'ed MA37 build in my signature. I decided to take a different turn once I started building again and sort of made a hybrid of the MA37 and the BR85HB SR. I'm still deciding whether to put a hand guard or design a grenade launcher. I bought the led counter way back from a separate site run by a 405th member whose name I can't remember at the time, but it works perfectly. The switch is placed in the thumb-thru, it's set to full auto mode, and the counter restarts when the charging handle is pulled back.

Interesting work. I reckon if you have a counter backwards, you should totally have a little speaker that plays the firing sound of the AR :)

The undersuit looks incredible! I had a similar idea as yours, but I have no sewing skills, nor do I know anyone locally who could do this.

So based on what I've read so far, am I correct in assuming that the "muscles" of the suit are just tacked/sewn onto the outside of a spandex shirt? Is the foam breathable? Is it warm? Do the areas between the "muscles groups" separate at all when you move around? (noticeably)

Seriously, this suit looks awesome! Can't wait to see you finish it!

i am so hoping that someone makes templates for that under armor

aw8fif.png
2rwahc4.png
wvy6uh.png
jl4ei1.png

The black images are by our awesome member James_005 (awesome skills. The model blueprints are so accurate, it's even ridiculous)
And the blue ones are by Morphine (also a member, he spent hours taking pictures :D we're grateful, thank you :D) here's his gallery

Templates... Not really possible. Pretty much every person has a different figure. Altho the spartan IV bodies are slightly more human (compared to previous games and just games in general), they've got veeery long limbs (BUT atleast their hips aren't so narrow, +1 point to 343 studios not going for the exaggerated V-taper).
Your best bet would be learning something like Blender and modeling it to fit you. Adding a texture is the only problem. Someone has yet to tackle it.

Anyways, I'll most likely be adding more images as I stumble by. Might help you out. Thou must clicketh here!

Templates... Not really possible. Pretty much every person has a different figure. Altho the spartan IV bodies are slightly more human (compared to previous games and just games in general), they've got veeery long limbs (BUT atleast their hips aren't so narrow, +1 point to 343 studios not going for the exaggerated V-taper).
Your best bet would be learning something like Blender and modeling it to fit you. Adding a texture is the only problem. Someone has yet to tackle it.

Anyways, I'll most likely be adding more images as I stumble by. Might help you out. Thou must clicketh here!

for the texture i have made my own solution, i have made a hexagon patern on sheets you melt on t-shirts to make designs. you can see a result on my halo 4 hands thread, http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37825-halo-4-hand-(WIP)-(Pic-heavy) i think this could be done on larger scale

I think what you mean is a pattern? (like what seamstresses make to then cut out fabric pieces to sew clothes together)
It would be quite labour intensive to do and the biggest problem is everyone's body shape is different. Unless you knew how to modify each fabric piece in the pattern to suit, I think putting it out there might go to waste. I'll be talking about it with my nana (a qualified seamstress) once I begin my undersuit construction (still waiting to hear back from a few companies).

Back on topic - hopefully pendy has more updates on his awesome undersuit soon :)

I definitely hope to see this come back soon, btw have you thought of vacforming over the pieces you made to make a mold and then just fill it in with expanding foam or something to make it thinner? It would cut WAY down on the bulk.

Being at school, I'm pretty limited with my methods. I'm probably going to be scratch building the armor out of thin plastic sheets or coat card board in smooth cast or something. But that's somewhat of a ways off. Depends on time. For now it's the rifle then hopefully onto the Recon helmet.

Erm how the hell have I missed all this so far?!?! Well I'm subscribed now everything looks awesome dude nice work! Someone may have asked but what's it like for heat build up?

The undersuit looks incredible! I had a similar idea as yours, but I have no sewing skills, nor do I know anyone locally who could do this.

So based on what I've read so far, am I correct in assuming that the "muscles" of the suit are just tacked/sewn onto the outside of a spandex shirt? Is the foam breathable? Is it warm? Do the areas between the "muscles groups" separate at all when you move around? (noticeably)

Seriously, this suit looks awesome! Can't wait to see you finish it!

Thanks! And I'm sure you'll figure it out haha. Heat is very surprisingly not an issue... if it's not sunny. I don't know the exact ratio but the fabric is a lightweight poly-cotton blend. The foam is very light and deforms and stretches easily. We were working in central Mexico and it was about 70 degrees and I was comfortable. But with all of the black it turns into a solar cooker if it's sunny. Other than that it felt no different temp wise than a sweat shirt. It's not super breathable in that you can't be running around doing parkour in it and expect it to wick like performance apparel but for just regular wear it's deceptively comfortable.

And yes the muscles are hand stitched on. We did them in groups starting in the chest then shoulders and working down. To allow for movement some of the muscles, mostly in the stomach and under the shoulders, were sewn into the suit rather than each other to allow for the suit to stretch. She sewed them so they appear to be touching when I'm in a neutral position but are able to stretch during extension.

The black images are by our awesome member James_005 (awesome skills. The model blueprints are so accurate, it's even ridiculous)
And the blue ones are by Morphine (also a member, he spent hours taking pictures :D we're grateful, thank you :D) here's his gallery

Couldn't have said it better.

for the texture i have made my own solution, i have made a hexagon patern on sheets you melt on t-shirts to make designs. you can see a result on my halo 4 hands thread, http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37825-halo-4-hand-(WIP)-(Pic-heavy) i think this could be done on larger scale

These turned out amazing. The texture on mine definitely isn't game accurate but what are you gonna do haha

I think what you mean is a pattern? (like what seamstresses make to then cut out fabric pieces to sew clothes together)
It would be quite labour intensive to do and the biggest problem is everyone's body shape is different. Unless you knew how to modify each fabric piece in the pattern to suit, I think putting it out there might go to waste. I'll be talking about it with my nana (a qualified seamstress) once I begin my undersuit construction (still waiting to hear back from a few companies).

Back on topic - hopefully pendy has more updates on his awesome undersuit soon :)

Again right on target. The pattern she used for the suit was some super hero costume that you can find in walmart and rather than make it two-part, she combined the upper and lower patterns into a onesie... feel weird saying that haha. While it should fit tight, if you do go this route remember that the addition of the external details will bring the suit in over time.

Sadly the undersuit itself is on the back burning while I'm at school, but I'm going to try and keep the rest of my projects going and get this thing done.

Hope this helps

thanks pendy,
well yes i meant the patern so that i know what pieces of foam to cut out and sew together.
i think i will take pictures of myself and compare/ build the paterns on them. i will make a thread if this succeeds :p
i hope it's as nice as your's

wow this undersuit looks amazing :O i might try out something like this but for crysis suit, this was something i always wanted to make

So after having read through this thread it looks like you and I had similar ideas, though yours is unquestionably more effective. I see you're having some issues with flexibility, that was my big concern with using full foam plates for it. As far as density goes may i suggest a layered foamies effect instead? You can get similar structure with less density, which may prove helpful for parts which require flexibility.

Also, as far as your peeing problem, you could try hiding a sort of zipper/crotch cover under the crotch plate, so to pee all you have to do is pull off the cod piece and go, then just secure it onto your body with velcro.

Overall this is really impressive, and it's good to see that this design can work without having the old batman suit felxibility problems :D

th_JawDrop.png
th_075.jpg

How in the world of Zues' butthole have I missed this?!?!?!?!?!

Awesome work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back