Halo 4 undersuit (undecided on armor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok can you just marry me now? That'd be great thanks.

Holy fu**ing balls that undersuit is off to an AMAZING start!! I don't comment/post much, I just lurk. But holy cow this deserves a comment at the least. I'm very looking forward to seeing how this suit turns out as well as the progress of it. Your grandmother is a saint.

I smell an elite promotion already....

First off, thank you so much everyone! The 405th is such an awesome community! I really appreciate the support. I want to apologize for the huge progress jump so I used the work we did today as the basis for a pretty basic tutorial:

8362538423_642ef3fe82_n.jpg

Most of my work I do by eye so I don't have any formal templates. I drew the larger section onto graph paper then transferred it to the foam (draw the piece slightly bigger than you want because it will shrink when you wrap it in fabric). I then cut out and shaved down the section using scissors. I recommend using an electric knife. Scissors are a pain to achieve a smooth surfaces across larger sections (as you can see mine are pretty choppy) but they were all I had. If there were details I wanted to be maintained after fabric, I outlined them with super glue, which melted the foam and dried hard (white areas on the two bottom R pieces).

8363607900_7ee2074958_n.jpg

Exo-Santa

8362540807_39bc0c3713_n.jpg

The fabric is wrapped around the foam and sewn on the back side. It isn't glued anywhere simply because I didn't have fabric glue available at the time but I imagine it would be very helpful at reducing slippage. Next I paint the part using the mesh from the side of a folding laundry basket. Lastly designs are sewn in using the machine (floating X in that last part). They are then hand stitched on to the suit.

8363605774_d36c9169b7.jpg
8362541551_c0fe812372.jpg

8363604954_1c0fd148c7.jpg

I'm leaving to go back to the states in day so this may be the last suit update for a while, but I'll be taking up the Ma37 I abandoned once I get back to school and overhauling it with some MAS influence. As for the armor, I plan on doing some variant of a HSLD inspired Recon.

Consider:
Plan for flexibility. Even though the fabric and foam stretch, the stitching doesn't. Some parts, such as the chest and shoulders are directly connected but others, like the plates in the abdomen, are sewn into the suit so that they can separate.

Design a way "to go" without needing a full support crew.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the foam is a 1" lightweight cushion foam. Idk the exact composition. Apparently it's used for chair and headboard cushions.

Hope this helped. Thanks again for all of the support!

Oh man that is awesome looking. That was somewhat the course of action I was thinking of going for the shoulders of my project, but to see it actually done? To see how nice it can look? To find out you can use paint and a mesh to add a nifty pattern? I give you plenty of thumbs up!

I am just depressed this will be covered in armor at some point, because that is some impressive work right there only to be hidden away. -tear-

you do realise that you have now set the bar on your armor out in space right? anything less would be completely unacceptable.....jk damn dude this is fantastic. its a costume in itself.

This is amazing! Once Halo 4 came out I was really looking forward to seeing peoples undersuit creations:D
I've seen a few so far but...This is just a super awesome idea and it looks great :D

Cant wait to see more :)

oh my god that is soo awesome. are you going to make some sort of way to attach armor to it? like Velcro? or magnets?

Okay, I'm so jealous of the skills you and your grandma have. This looks awesome!

+1 sub

The under suit is VERY well constructed. But it seems to have added a fair bit of size to your overall bulk. Is this going to impact the fitting of your armour or have you already accounted for that?

That is the way we get it done Spartan! I got the same situation man, trying to build in between the breaks from school, I am new to this so I won't act like I know what I am talking about haha, I have been formulating a plan to start on a Spartan IV Recruit Class armor suit and was looking for ideas for that pesky under suit. Frankly, I hit a mental wall when trying to get an idea on how a real-life Halo 4 Spartan undersuit would look, and you have lit my way friend. Like everyone before me, I too dig this work of art you have made- reminds me of the Crysis nanosuit blended with the Spartan IV undersuit- anyway keep up the work and don't give up! Sierra 43 out.

Such an amazing looking undersuit there bro and thank you for the explanation on how you did it. I will have to put my mum to the sewing machine so I can do one for my MK VI suit.

Ok can you just marry me now? That'd be great thanks.

Holy fu**ing balls that undersuit is off to an AMAZING start!! I don't comment/post much, I just lurk. But holy cow this deserves a comment at the least. I'm very looking forward to seeing how this suit turns out as well as the progress of it. Your grandmother is a saint.

I smell an elite promotion already....

Agreed on the "marry me" part. *cough*

and I can smell elite too. Dude, you're making the forum run rabid. This hasn't happened in a while. You've made like 2 posts and you already have 4 pages of comments. Congrats. I must say, I find this inspiring too.

This is extremely well done! However... I will NOT marry you, lol!!! :)

All joking aside, I appreciate you taking the time to document how you put the pieces together. It really is impressive looking. I too am reminded of the Nano suit when I see this. I'm looking forward to your next update. :D

this is absolutely amazing but i feel as if its kinda a cheat if someone else is doing all the sewing. its like cutting the pieces out and letting someone else pep, resin, fiberglass, rondo, and sand it but yet you get all the praise.

just my opinion. it still looks great though.

Nice work man! this is pretty jaw-dropping, you and your g-ma make a great team!

Onmi kind of has a point there, but still... you did grab the attention of some of our greatest builders!!!! That's a definite +1 sub right here!

By the way, you should work on a weapon!

Keep going man, great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back