Halo 5: Guardians Helioskrill Armor Build - 3D Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowbreakre

Update 3/18/2021: Armor released

Update 3/2/2021: Helmet released

So I've been through a lot these last few weeks and situation in Austin right doesn't help. I Decided that I was going to back off for a bit so I can process and deal with things, while still working on smaller, simpler projects. Well, for some reason I felt guilty about it?

So hear I am, back at it again, working on a new 3D printable armor set. Requested by ReClaimer8015 I am doing the Halo 5: Guardians Helioskrill Armor set. Now due to some other projects I working before this and the that my Zbrush sub ran out, it will be awhile before I actually get it finished. It was just driving me crazy in the back of my head thinking about how I was going to approach it, so I thought I'd get a head start and go ahead and break it down now for when I do get to working. This will possibly be the more challenging of my armors so far as this set has some kinky kinks and a lot of more complex detail compared to my others. Due to this will be taking some creative liberty and remake some pieces to make it simpler and easier to print and assemble.

00934adecc187422e990820aec33abbc.jpg

First thing is to import the model cut it in half and get rid of all the "padding" and inside faces. first thing that draws me is the monster of a torso.

Screenshot 2021-02-16 204655.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 034240.png

Unlike the Hellcat armor where I was trying to condense and merge all pieces in this case I need to break it up into more pieces. The chest plate was just one big piece connected to the side and back so I need to separate it into smaller manageable pieces. I separate the back piece and combine it with "jetpack" module. Then I sperate and combine the bottom side piece with the sternum and separate the Top of the chest plate. the 2 ab plates and spine plate are fin as they are. Like the Hellcat the back module will attach separate with pegs to the rest of the back.

You can kind a see it but the back Module has and Elite head on it whisk I will need to sculpt. Unfortunately I am not a character or organic artist so it's going to take me some time to do it.

I kinda go carried away and already started a little bit as I was going.
Screenshot 2021-02-16 204849.png

Screenshot 2021-02-16 205229.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 032340.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 004529.png
Screenshot 2021-02-17 024852.png

Now to the kinks. A good portion of the armor is is what i could only perceive as "leather" straps and braces. I Decided not to bother with them as I just don't think they will look good printed over just making the straps out of what every fabric you prefer. AS you can see on the arms and calf parts there is what seems to be a woven bracer texture. Again I do not intend on sculpting in this detail. While I will still make them, it will just be a receded flat surface. You can always glue leather straps onto to get the exact same effect and it will look cooler than printed geo. I will also serrate the plating from the braces as well incase you would like sew your own and attach it. I'm also not going to bother with the heel of the boot either, the way its shaped it just won't look good on a boot or running shoe

Screenshot 2021-02-17 025507.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 025118.png

Screenshot 2021-02-17 032641.png

That the gist of it for now. The most time consuming part of this will be adding back in all the detail. I have 2 other projects before this, 2 RWBY weapons Sun Wukongs Gun-Chucks and Pyrrha Nikos Gun-Spear (mechanical) so it will probalby be about few weeks to a month before I come back to this.

Last edited:
If you need any references, here`s the basic armor without the straps:

Attachments

• lael-lee-031020-skrill-7.jpg
    lael-lee-031020-skrill-7.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 261
  • lael-lee-031020-skrill-2.jpg
    lael-lee-031020-skrill-2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 536
  • lael-lee-031020-skrill-1.jpg
    lael-lee-031020-skrill-1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 499
  • lael-lee-031020-skrill-4.jpg
    lael-lee-031020-skrill-4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 321
  • lael-lee-031020-skrill-3.jpg
    lael-lee-031020-skrill-3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 215
Dropping the HelioSkrill Helmet early as a teaser for the rest of the armor. Couldn't renew my Zbrush License so I had to do it all in Maya. There re some details that still kinda of bother me but I might just be over critical of myself. I modeled in an AI chip slot (chip not done yet) and all future helmets have this as well. The armor is going to take quite a bit longer as I don't have Zbush at the moment.

tbrender.jpg

tbrender_001.jpg

tbrender_002.jpg

tbrender_006.jpg

tbrender_003.jpg

Thanks man. Turned out really nice:D
An Ai chip i did myself, there are a few already out there, some also on this forum.
When i finished printing it may i post a few additional pics besides in this thread here?

Something i noticed and you must have too while modeling it: The original artwork is a bit creative, there are clear instances where you can see that this is really just 2d which won`t be the 1:1 transferable into 3d....

InkedHelio Helmet side_LI.jpg
InkedHelio Helmet back_LI.jpg

These stripes can`t be that much far to the back of the helmet unless it is shaped in a way where it then wouldn`t fit physically on a head. Or they "jumped" inbetween switching views ^^

Something i noticed and you must have too while modeling it: The original artwork is a bit creative, there are clear instances where you can see that this is really just 2d which won`t be the 1:1 transferable into 3d....

View attachment 303548View attachment 303550

These stripes can`t be that much far to the back of the helmet unless it is shaped in a way where it then wouldn`t fit physically on a head. Or they "jumped" inbetween switching views ^^
I mainly use the in-game texture as a guide and then cross reference with the concept art for any interesting detail that didn't make the final cut. this particular area was just part of the normal map. 90% of this is all texture so I had to model in supporting geo for most of this. I use the in-game mesh as the base but with the amount of extra geo I had to add model I heavily contemplated just scrapping the entire thing and model from scratch. worked out in the end. Like I said there are a few things I'm nitpicking since I'm working solely in Maya right now. I did take some creative liberties and made some alterations and changes to some of the detail such as the design on the top-back and the mouth of the helmet.

Once printed and painted, some of the more problematic areas shouldn't be noticeable.

View attachment 303548View attachment 303550

I mainly use the in-game texture as a guide and then cross reference with the concept art for any interesting detail that didn't make the final cut. this particular area was just part of the normal map. 90% of this is all texture so I had to model in supporting geo for most of this. I use the in-game mesh as the base but with the amount of extra geo I had to add model I heavily contemplated just scrapping the entire thing and model from scratch. worked out in the end. Like I said there are a few things I'm nitpicking since I'm working solely in Maya right now. I did take some creative liberties and made some alterations and changes to some of the detail such as the design on the top-back and the mouth of the helmet.

Once printed and painted, some of the more problematic areas shouldn't be noticeable.

small update on the Helioskrill armor. Progress is slow as I got other things going on. Wish I had zbrush to sculpt the elite head but this will do. May revisit it in the future, but i'm no character artist. Took some creative liberty, the original design was more of an engraved etching I made it into more of a carving, similar to the one I did on the helmet.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 224054.png

Screenshot 2021-03-10 075252.png

No problem at all! Just keep a placeholder there and people could insert their own pieces? I have no experience in sculpting but i could try to do it in blender...as a little contribution to this awesome undertaking:)
it's a separate mesh that's just intersecting the geometry, Since slicers calculate for intersecting geo automatically some of the details on my models are just stuck in. If anyone wanted to swap it they just need to sperate the mesh and put in what they want, I think that one of in game variants of this armor has the Didact's hand Instead so if anyone wanted to do that they can. I would probably swap it out for a lion if end of printing it.

Last edited:
It has been a rough couple of weeks, everything seems to domino and when it rains it pours My Chiron 3D printer Ivy (yes I named my printer) has officially died after 2 weeks of troubleshooting, so I'm going to have to figure something else out on that front.

Despite all that though, I have finally complete the full Helioskrill Armor Set!

A few things to note is that as I did not have access to certain tools some pieces may have varying thickness however I tried to ensure that they at least have room for some sort of infill. Switched up the way I would normally work on this and made the inside of the pieces flat without any other bleeding detail like the other armors. This should save on the supports as the inside is smoother.

Due to some design choices on my part this may take take a little more work after printing to obtain the full effect and detail of the armor.

I did start to rush it toward the end, intentionally skipping on some minor details that I felt weren't really important of eye catching.

My next Planned set will be Spartan Olympia Vale's Copperhead armor.

Turnaround.jpg

tbrender_008.jpg

tbrender_007.jpg

tbrender_005.jpg

tbrender_009.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back