Halo: Cardboard Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahu505

Member DIN
S505
So this is going to be a joint thread for me and spitzkitz where we're going to be making MK V CE armor out of cardboard for Sacanime, which is 3 weeks from now. Currently we're working with the laser cutter on our university's campus to cut out the pieces! Also here's my car full of cardboard
20210814_155810.jpg

Yes! This can be done and done well. I did mine entirely from cardboard (and an H3 Legendary Edition helmet) back in 2008. Get yourself a big rubber hammer and a sponge. It takes a lot of work to turn 2D cardboard into a curved chest piece. Paper mache' clay is a great filler.

28059436_1740011112686667_6339791777691554596_n.jpg

My build thread is here:
WIR--A Review Of An Unplanned Spartan Build

Let me know if it is helpful. I had very few 'normal' tools or products available to me for this. I'm happy to advise. Wish I'd had a laser cutter. I had to lay out and trace my real-steel body armor panels to get started.

Redshirt
Guess who's not coming back from the Slayer match--the guy in the Red Shirt
Signature Project: Halo 3 Working Airsoft Spartan Laser in Metal & Fiberglass

Yes! This can be done and done well. I did mine entirely from cardboard (and an H3 Legendary Edition helmet) back in 2008. Get yourself a big rubber hammer and a sponge. It takes a lot of work to turn 2D cardboard into a curved chest piece. Paper mache' clay is a great filler.

View attachment 308904

My build thread is here:

Let me know if it is helpful. I had very few 'normal' tools or products available to me for this. I'm happy to advise. Wish I'd had a laser cutter. I had to lay out and trace my real-steel body armor panels to get started.

Redshirt
This is awesome and I really appreciate it! This might sound disappointing but I forgot to mention we are going for a comedic so bad that it's good look. Imagine the bud light knight, Arby's armor, mountain dew man, ect. We want that for our sets of armor but the style of a cardboard box. So sharp angles, box labels, packing stickers, duct tape, crayons is going to be our fashion.

This is awesome and I really appreciate it! This might sound disappointing but I forgot to mention we are going for a comedic so bad that it's good look. Imagine the bud light knight, Arby's armor, mountain dew man, ect. We want that for our sets of armor but the style of a cardboard box. So sharp angles, box labels, packing stickers, duct tape, crayons is going to be our fashion.
LoL. That is disappointing, though I do love the thread title. Good luck on that. You should search for the inflatable MC helmets that were around a couple of years ago. They might match the vibe you are looking for.

Redshirt

Yo! I'ma update this thread for us lol.

So far we've cut up two suits (thank god for campus remodels, all the free boxes!) and I'm going to try and get some con-crunch done this evening and glue an entire suit together.
Here's one whole suit, cut up and placed into a paper bag. Pretty sick! And compact.
IMG_20210830_021749__01.jpg

I'll try and post some more pics of assembled pieces later.

Not going to lie - I Love that cardboard armor!

I know that you are going more for a meme - but dang with something to fill in some seams and some paint it could be quite stunning

If you were going for comedic, then why are your cuts straight and your seams tight? Seriously, there are a lot of worse jobs done with better materials out there. Keep it up!
Redshirt

View attachment 308904

My build thread is here:

Redshirt
Awesome build. I'm starting mine but using fatigue mats. Do you have patterns from your cardboard armor that I could use. Yours is spot on and I think I could modify the patterns to work with fatigue mats. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. And once again you did an amazing job.

Awesome build. I'm starting mine but using fatigue mats. Do you have patterns from your cardboard armor that I could use. Yours is spot on and I think I could modify the patterns to work with fatigue mats. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. And once again you did an amazing job.
Hey! We used the free files in the Armory actually (specifically foam unfolds), then I tweaked some of them manually for easier use with carboard in Armorsmith. tahu505 and I happen to have nearly the same exact body type so basically no adjustments were necessary for the two of us.

Hey! We used the free files in the Armory actually (specifically foam unfolds), then I tweaked some of them manually for easier use with carboard in Armorsmith. tahu505 and I happen to have nearly the same exact body type so basically no adjustments were necessary for the two of us.
Awesome just awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back