Halo: Combat Evolved Mk. V Build... so far (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking great Fudz. Can't wait to see how it looks.

My boots look so bad. Like really bad haha. Clown shoes pretty much. I just didn't have the time to get the files and try it.

I gave up on my cod piece lol

I put it on and Between having the thighs and Ab plate on there is nooo room for it. It looks good without it anyway. I think on My reach or MK VI I'll skip it.

Most of my strapping is done, I'm trimming pieces as I go where needed. The helmet is almost done. Just needs a clear coat and padded. I have pretty much no mobility in it, even though it is scaled perfectly. I'm hoping its just me not being used to it. Holding a gun is........hard.

Great work on yours man! Its gonna be sweet, I know it!

*Sigh*
Well... the suit pieces are complete. However, in my attempt to wear the suit I sullenly learned that I have virtually no range of motion. Because of the deadline being tomorrow night, I will be unable to make the necessary adjustments in time for Halo Anniversary :( . Not to fear though, to those of you following this thread, I will continued to post the final stages of this build. It just won't be ready for tomorrow. It sucks... really sucks... but I don't want to half-a** this project and embarrass myself in public with shoddy workmanship.

On the plus side, I'll still have the helmet to wear :), and now I have year to make it better for the Halo 4 release.

Still sucks though...

Sorry to hear that man. I know how that limited movement feels, basically had to cut parts and adjust a lot of padding to make my suit wearable.

Was it a strapping issue or an armor sizing issue? I know on mine I had a very difficult time with movement, but once I put a little extra padding, to make certain parts stick out more I was able to move much better.

@ Fudz - I just saw that you posted the same time I did, so my comment seems kinda out of place.
Don't give up! I think you can make it work. I've accepted that mine is not going to look exactly like I had imagined it, and that's my fault for not test fitting more before I painted and bondo'd everything. I'm going without a Cod piece, no gun, and I can't walk quite right. I know for me, if I don't try, I'll regret it later...... even if I do look goofy.

Give it a chance, your suit is way to good to just go out in the helmet. I'm so jelly of your suit I can't imagine you not going out to enjoy it. GO FUDZ GO!!!!!!!!! :D

@ JUSTIN
Was it a strapping issue or an armor sizing issue? I know on mine I had a very difficult time with movement, but once I put a little extra padding, to make certain parts stick out more I was able to move much better.

I'm having a lot of issues in upper body mobility the most..... I can't rotate my shoulders much without clunking into the chest. Scaling is not the issue, its just.... Idk. Its hard to say. I can't hold a gun in any pose other than the one like your Avatar pic. Do you have any suggestions? (Sorry I don't have pics. I don't want to do a thread until next week)

Do you have any pointers from being out and walking in yours? Is there anything I need to pay special attention to that you learned? I'm so nervous..............

I had to put about 2 inches of padding to make my shoulders stick out further. It helped a lot with movement, but it is still limited. I can hold the gun in a few positions, and I can take my helmet off, but other than that, this suit is not meant for a real person to wear. I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking mine, and I am still working out a few kinks.

Good padding and strapping can make just about any suit work well. Just give it a try.

@ Justinian

Appreciate the help. I think my chest piece is WAY to big. In proportion to the rest of suit, I just look funny. I'm considering remaking it out of foam. But I tried some padding in the shoulders and thighs and it made a HUGE difference. Tweeking is definitely a must for this suit. But it is my first and ultimately, it will be the hardest. But I really appreciate the help and I hope to crank out a piece of armor as fine as yours!

@ Revenant1988

Thanks for the enthusiasm. I will try and wear as much as I can tonight. No promises though. But don't worry, I WILL find another public venue to wear this thing. I have too much love invested into it not to.

@ R8b

From what I'm gathering, the Mk V CE armor is simply not compatible to a human unless you exist in the realm of an Xbox. Glad to know that I'm not the only one suffering.

Thanks for the help/comments/support guys. This suit WILL be finished and it will look fine

From the front, the chest looks to be the right width at the top of the shoulders, but the bottom, near the waist is way too wide. Instead of remaking the whole thing, you may be able to fix what you have. Cut a small section out of the bottom, where you connect them together, and use a heat gun to bend it in a little.

*Sigh*
Well... the suit pieces are complete. However, in my attempt to wear the suit I sullenly learned that I have virtually no range of motion. Because of the deadline being tomorrow night, I will be unable to make the necessary adjustments in time for Halo Anniversary :( . Not to fear though, to those of you following this thread, I will continued to post the final stages of this build. It just won't be ready for tomorrow. It sucks... really sucks... but I don't want to half-a** this project and embarrass myself in public with shoddy workmanship.

On the plus side, I'll still have the helmet to wear :), and now I have year to make it better for the Halo 4 release.

Still sucks though...
I feel ya, I totally do. I've had NUMEROUS set backs with my projects as well. I don't even have the inner thigh pieces to my suit and there is such a large gap between my chestplate and belt, but I was lucky to wear my Kat costume to the Anniversary midnight release. My right forearm piece even ripped. :( We just used some clear packaging tape to hold it in place for the rest of the night. XD

It can get hard to make deadlines. I speak from experience. XD I've had 3 attempts at trying to have a costume done for a special occasion and it ALWAYS fell through. I think I just got lucky this time since I had it done by Halo-ween. It sucks and I know it, but maybe something else will come up and you will have a finished suit for that. :)

@ Halogoddess

Glad to know I'm not alone ;) Worst case scenario, I wear it for the Halo 4 release... which isn't a totally bad thing. I'm working my way through Halo Anniversary and lets say I can see some major upgrades coming to my suit in the future.

Anywho, here's some more progress. Rough paint job has been completed on the boots and shins.

6349610806_2c5419ae27.jpg
[/url]
PB150316 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6348857895_17a13ffcc0.jpg
[/url] PB150315 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6348854063_efbf91cac8.jpg
[/url] PB150313 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

6349600412_db72d998bd.jpg
[/url] PB150311 by Fudz0732011, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think I'm going to hand paint the rest from here on out. Pretty pleased with the general look but, It still needs a lot of work. No hurry though cuz I have no deadline!!! Honestly, I wasn't enjoying the build towards the end of the Halo release date due to the time crunch. But with the stress now gone (via some fps therapy) I'm really enjoying the process again. As I mentioned earlier, the new/old Halo CE chief looks awesome. I really want to tweak my suit some more to reflect the new Mk V. This means a total re-haul of the chest piece ( sorry Justinian... but I still appreciate the advice!!!) and most likely the arms as well. I'm just not liking the fiberglass anymore.

As I mentioned earlier, the new/old Halo CE chief looks awesome. I really want to tweak my suit some more to reflect the new Mk V. This means a total re-haul of the chest piece ( sorry Justinian... but I still appreciate the advice!!!) and most likely the arms as well. I'm just not liking the fiberglass anymore.

Hey bro, I'm going to be pepping the first ever Halo: CEA Helmet... Today! I'll post pics to give you an Idea of how different it really looks.. Good luck!

So how did you paint your foam? I had issues painting the boots on mine, it would soak it up, or run and not stick.

Justinian117 mentioned that some people use plasti dip spray (new to me) and then paint that.... is that what you did?

I just painted it. I experienced the same problem with the paint soaking into the foam. However, after a few coats, the foam was eventually sealed. I'm still looking for a better solution. I'll have to investigate this plasti dip.

Do you find that your foam developed creases in the paint from flexing yet? I'm beginning to see this more and more now. Great work

Do you find that your foam developed creases in the paint from flexing yet? I'm beginning to see this more and more now. Great work

I did on my boots, but with the amount of flex in them I'm sure it was bound to happen. It doesn't look bad, but you do see it.

The pieces I've build so far don't seem to flex much so I haven't seen any cracking yet. However, I plan to redo the chest piece and the arms. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Hey Fudz073, I'm building the Halo: CEA Mark V., and wanted to know a couple things, what was the lip you made for the visor actually for? Also, what was the thing called that you used to make the cheek bumps... You cut them out. And last, after you resined your helmet, when you smooth-casted it, what did you do exactly? And how much did the smooth-cast cost?

The lip was a mount for the visor, to give it the proper profile on the helmet. For the cheek bumps, I used a plastic paint tray. You can find them @ Wal-Mart for 99 cents. And finally for the smooth cast, once you resin the helmet, you pour the mixed the smooth cast into the helmet and slosh it around for five minutes until it hardens. This coats the inside with an even layer of the urethane plastic. I did two coats using the whole Smooth-Cast 300 sample pack. I think it's $30 and ends up around $45 total with shipping and handling.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edit: (And everything Sky_Walker said too!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back