halo combat evolved remake?? should it be attempted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soul products

i was just thinking the other day after playing reach "what if halo ce had these graphics and gadgets, ect."

with every one here on the forums im sure that we have a couple programmers, voice actors, ect. (not so sure on the modeling department XP jk)
but in theory wouldnt it be cool if, as a community (as much as possible), remade halo ce for our own personal enjoyment and as the ultimate thank you to bungie? im not sure if it would be possible (xbox format and all) but i think that it would be the coolest thing in the world to see the exact same world we've come to love, either remade down to the letter or as close as possible with reaches graphics and extras in the game.

again im not sure if this is possible but what do you guys think, should it be attempted ever??

This is a good idea, but we'd need Bungie or microsoft to let us do it first....
And anyways, we've got the Sigma team working on a fangame, the graphics are awesome :)

Ive seen 1 guy on youtube named Gamma, who is great at this stuff. His work includes a search and destroy gametype, and firefight.

This is a good idea, but we'd need Bungie or microsoft to let us do it first....
And anyways, we've got the Sigma team working on a fangame, the graphics are awesome :)

but dont copyright laws only apply if said remakers are making money? i dont understand the legal side of most things

If it's somehow made into a mod for the PC version, there's probably nothing wrong with that. It'd probably only work with the graphics, though.

I've been ranting about this for over a year to my friend. What I want is 1 halo game, reach to halo 3 with graphics up to par with reach, 1 system of grenades, vehicles, etc. But overall, keep the story, gameplay, etc almost the exact same. just make sure all are approximately equal. With REach's graphics, Halo CE would be the best game ever!

I've been ranting about this for over a year to my friend. What I want is 1 halo game, reach to halo 3 with graphics up to par with reach, 1 system of grenades, vehicles, etc. But overall, keep the story, gameplay, etc almost the exact same. just make sure all are approximately equal. With REach's graphics, Halo CE would be the best game ever!

nuff said :)

i honestly think halo ce had at least the coolest graphics. the colors were thick and powereful, while there wasnt to much detail involved. halo 3 and halo reach obviously had superior graphics and a more advanced engine. but i still love the graphics in all the games. so i think a remake of halo ce would be a waste of time. and actually ive been thinking about at least remaking some of the levels on forge world. im working on the library right now. someone should start a thread for people to collect maps made on forge world.

but dont copyright laws only apply if said remakers are making money? i dont understand the legal side of most things

No, something can still be considered an infringement of copyright even if there is no profit involved. Unless it falls under "fair use" (used for educational purposes, used for reviews and/or critiques, and/or used for parody) it is considered copyright infringement.

Technicaly speaking, this entire site is one big piece of copyright infringement. That being said, it's not traditionally good business for a company to go out randomly suing their fanbase, so for the most part as long as fans are not profiting they tend to turn a blind eye too it, but that varies from company to company.
George Lucas has pretty much given the fanbase free reign to just about every single aspect of the Star Wars franchise in virtually every concievable medium. Other companies like Nintendo and Square Enix are big sticklers when it comes to fan works that extends beyond simple fanart and/or fanfiction and are known for shutting down tons of projects.

Thus far...microsoft has been pretty cool with what fans have done with their universe, but there ARE exceptions.
At one point I know there was a mod team that was working on a total conversion to make a Halo RTS game, and microsoft filed a cease and decist order very promptly.
It became obvious why when Halo Wars was announced soon after that.

No, something can still be considered an infringement of copyright even if there is no profit involved. Unless it falls under "fair use" (used for educational purposes, used for reviews and/or critiques, and/or used for parody) it is considered copyright infringement.

so if the characters all had big smiley faces it would be cool?

sorry couldnt resist, i guess that all makes sense. whoknows maybe if this turns into something more we may get permission. (prays to god)

so if the characters all had big smiley faces it would be cool?

ehh...not exactly. If you have the same character names, dialouge, plot, settings, etc...it's still potentially a case of copyright infringement. There's not a real specific number of things you have to change (something that makes copyright infringement cases problematic) but you have to change more than 1 or 2 details.

This, for Example, falls under Parody and is ok:

soul products said:
sorry couldnt resist, i guess that all makes sense. whoknows maybe if this turns into something more we may get permission. (prays to god)

eeehhh...that's another thing, don't go asking permission. Like I said, companies who are cool tend to turn a blind eye to fan based productions...and I really mean that, because there are legal implications for a company to essentially "approve" or give their blessing to a fan production.
Legally speaking, it's not usually good to acknowledge that a project exists.
Honestly...it sucks...but when it comes to things like this you kind of just have to charge full steam ahead and hope that you don't find a cease and desist order in your mailbox.
Microsoft...they might be cool with it if they have no plans to make one themselves...but somebody would have to try first.

Again, when it comes to nintedo and/or square enix licenses, nobody even bothers talking about or setting up long term productions becuase of the track record the company has with shutting those things down.
Microsoft has shut down at least 1 total conversion that I know of...but that was only because they actually had a similar product in the works themselves they were getting ready to promote.
I know of at least 1 more TC that was in the works a LONG time ago that wasn't an RTS...but I don't know if it just fell apart, or if Microsoft shut them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a halo 1 modder. Its actually easy to make changes to the game and there have been some very well made replications of halo 2 and 3 maps and weapons. Why not just revamp the game itself? Its far easier then making a new engine.

I am a halo 1 modder. Its actually easy to make changes to the game and there have been some very well made replications of halo 2 and 3 maps and weapons. Why not just revamp the game itself? Its far easier then making a new engine.

Cause that would kind of defeat the purpose of remaking the game in the first place. Sure, you could push the engine further than it was at the time, get some more poly's out of the character models and such....but I don't think the original game even had normal map support.

Honestly, I'd much rather see a mod team try and recreate Halo in the Crytek or Unreal 3 engine.

exactly, the engine is outdated. With the latest tech, it could be a truly insane game. Personally, the game was 1/2 FPS and 1/2 exploration/sandbox game. It was more FPS oriented, but a better engine could make the levels twice as long, twice as detailed, with twice as many places to go.

I think it would be awesome if a community of people would remake Halo CE for PC, much like that one group is doing with Black Mesa, remaking the first Half Life game to match the graphics and whatnot with HL2: episode 2.

If it has to be done, it has to be done in Source. It's free(ish), open-source, and has great potential for graphics and physics processing. I loves me some Source.

Although, I honestly think Halo CE should be left undefiled, in its original, dare I say classic, state, I'd be all-up for a game concerning, say, First Strike, or one of the other novels. The only issue I can foresee with fan projects for those is voice-acting. I doubt any of us sounds close to Master Chief, Cortana, Halsey, or Johnson, who seem to be recurring characters in all Halo media.

For the legal stuff, forget about it. Fan-made game mods that are 100% freely distributed and have the proper WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT line can do what they want. Nobody can stop you from making something on your own time (or a group of friends/colleagues collaborating on something). For a different example, I could build a car in my garage that looks exactly like an Enzo, down to the badges, and Ferrari can't do a thing about it. Same concept.

Now, the question we must ask is, are we gonna make a game that's just a super-HD version of CE, or are actually gonna change/add stuff?

For the legal stuff, forget about it. Fan-made game mods that are 100% freely distributed and have the proper WE ARE NOT MICROSOFT line can do what they want. Nobody can stop you from making something on your own time (or a group of friends/colleagues collaborating on something).

No, this is simply not true. If a group of fans creates something themselves that violates copyright law and distributes it freely either though youtube or some other means, the IP holders have full legal rights to shut them down.
The idea that something is not subject to copyright law because simply because its made and distributed freely is a myth that's been perpetuated by the fact that many companies today, not wanting to go to war with their own fanbase, choose to turn a blind eye to these productions and NOT exercise these rights.

Once again, there is a large and vast amount of legal precedent for companies shutting down fan works. Nintendo and squaresoft/square enix have shut down dozens of total conversions based on their IP's over the years. The Tolkien estate has shut down various mods for morrowind and/or oblivion.
On the flipside, Lucasarts/lucasfilm has pretty much given free reign to fans to make whatever they want in the Star Wars universe (something I still feel fans have never fully appreciated).

Microsoft can and HAS shut down at least 1 total conversion for an RTS. That may have been simply because Halo Wars was in production, and they might be cool with other fan based total conversions (they're certainly cool with other kinds of fanworks thankfully), but they do have a history of shutting these things down.

Why remake the game? I would prefer and feature length animated movie about the 405th!

Alot of the well known members can be modeled in. We could be fighting the Covenant in a way the games hardly showed us!

If you guys decide to make a game remake, please sign me up as Elite 1 and Lt. Pony :).

-Pony

-Pony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back