Halo Legends: Didact Costume WIP (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marneon

Hi, I've decided to try and make a costume of didact (the forerunner who activated the halo array). For those of you who don't know who he is, here's a pic:
combatskinfront2.jpg

Here's how I'm thinking about doing it:
Chest Pieces: Sides made of foam, with bevelled sides. Centre made of 2 (probably) layers of foam carved into shape.
Shoulder Pieces: Fiberglass the insides of a mould (plaster of paris probably) made from one of those long tubular balloons. I also plan to put an image of Didact's 'glyph' on it, which is this:
didactgylph.png

Helmet: Pepakura, by GMer56 and WRsing (on the pep wiki)
Patterns (on robe): Sewing paterns of fabric onto the fabric of the under suit.
HandPieces: Not entirely sure yet, probably a sheet of foam shaped, but if anyone could provide a pep file it would be greatly appreciated.I've got a pic of just the handpiece, which I traced from Origins:
frhandpiece.jpg

Undersuit: A basic black robe, with a black sleeveless t-shirt (just cut the sleeves off a t-shirt) on top, which the armour pieces are attached to.
Belt/CodPiece: Not sure yet.
Shoes: Absolutely no idea, there's no images of them (that I can find) so I have absolutely no idea how to do this so any ideas would be very welcome.

Progress Pics:
So far, all I've done is the part of the helmet. Here are some pics:
bothpieces.jpg

lowerpiecemouth.jpg

toppiece.jpg

That's how far I've got but I've reached a bit of a problem, as there is an awkward piece which has small pieces that the numbers overlap so I can't make out the lines, but from what I can see, several tabs seem to overlap each other, which would be very awkward. To make things clearer, here's a picture:
awkwardpeppiece.jpg

So, what do you guys think so far?

Looks great :D I've got the same problem with overlapping on my ODST helmet so I just skipped and improvised those details :p I'm thinking of redoing the helmet, because i lost A LOT of details in the process ^^' Keep it going! :D

If it's just tabs that are overlapping, you can cut somewhere in the middle and be fine. If the actual faces overlap, you need to split the piece (in Pepakura Designer) so that there is no more overlapping.

It's funny, if you read Halo Cryptum the Didact's armor, and self doesn't sound like it would look anything like this. Post Bungie Halo info is interesting but contradictory as of late.

It's funny, if you read Halo Cryptum the Didact's armor, and self doesn't sound like it would look anything like this. Post Bungie Halo info is interesting but contradictory as of late.

I was planning on trying this armour anyway, but when I was idly looking up Didact's page on the halo wiki, the image was of this armour so I decided to go with it, as it gave me a bit more to say about rather than just 'a random forerunner'; and he has a cool glyph which I wanted to include.

Progress Update:
I've got some fabric to use for the sleeves, a navy blue (quite dark) double bedsheet I found in a charity shop, I could cut it up and use velcro (probably, but open to suggestions) to attach it to the ends of the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt. I'm also ready to get the foam for the chest, just waiting for my dad to be able to get it from eBay as I can't get it myself. Do you guys think 12mm is too thick for the separate chest pieces, or is it OK?
Here's a picture of the fabric I'm going to (probably, unless we find anything better) use:
bedsheetfabric.jpg

Change of plans:
I've decided (with some help from my parents) that it would be easier just to buy a simple black robe, and sew the white pieces onto there, and have a sort of black 'vest' to cover any seams, which the hard armour pieces would attach to. I've already bought this robe, and the vest will cover up the cross on the chest, and I'm not sure if I'll remove or incorporate the collar, because as you can see on the image, Didact does seem to have a collar, so I may ust modify it a bit.

Also, does anyone have any idea about what the forerunners have on their feet, are they just like ours with weird shoes, or are they a completely different shape? Could someone please give their opinion, this is one of the main areas where I'm confused.

I'm glad your parents help you with costumes. My dad keeps declaring that theres something wrong with me because I like making costumes and wearing them at appropriate events. It's quite amusing actually, since I'm a rather successful adult with this as just a hobby.

Hi guys (and gals), sorry I haven't posted anything in ages, I haven't made much (any in fact) progress, as I've been working on a costume for a LARP (live-action role play) event my school is putting on.
Anyways, I got the robe for the base of the armour, and here is a pic of it:
hni0068.jpg

Sorry it's so poor quality, it was a rushed pic with my DS.
I have had one problem though, as the fabric is fairly elastic, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to sew onto it, and my mum seems to think I wouldn't be able to either. So, I was wondering a) if sewing onto it would work (it's polyester fabric I think) b) if not, how else could I get the white patterns onto it.

Thanks in advance!

Update:
I've made a considerable amount of progress on the helmet, getting from the 83rd tab up to the 216th. Anyway, here's some pics:
hni0069.jpg

hni0070k.jpg

So, that is pretty much all the progress so far, but I've realized that I have 3 A3 sheets of craft foam I can use that I bought for my LARP outfit but didn't use, so that may be useful.
(Also, sorry about the double post)

for the hard to read tabs i find it is useful to find the piece in the pep program, untick "show edge ID" in the 2d menu and zoom right in. the main body will cover the flaps and the numbers will not cover the fold lines so might make it a bit clearer, worked well for me

I'm glad your parents help you with costumes. My dad keeps declaring that theres something wrong with me because I like making costumes and wearing them at appropriate events. It's quite amusing actually, since I'm a rather successful adult with this as just a hobby.

I feel your pain Mia. My dad just can't wrap his brain around the fact that I , to quote him, "get paid to shape the minds of our future, but have the hobbies of a 12 year old." Old people make me laugh. :) hey, wait, am I too old now to call other "old people" haha

Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in months. I've made considerable progress of the costume, and I'm just a few pieces away from completing it. Here's some pics:
hni0071.jpg

hni0076k.jpg

hni0077.jpg

hni0074z.jpg

hni0073j.jpg

Also, I have a couple of questions:
Does anyone have any ideas/concepts for what the lower part of the forerunners robe looks like? mainly the pattern, rather than actual shape.
What is the best way to attach craft foam to a t-shirt, but still have it removable?

(Sorry if this is necro-posting btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back