Halo Movie Back in Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that comes down to another production issue, them not wanting to show the face of the master chief so they have a need to write a new script that still includes his character but isn't about his character... well thats what I've heard anyway

Like what has been mentioned in either this thread or another before, the Movie would be better if it focused on the beginning of the Spartan project and into the Fall of Reach. I want to see Blue, Red and Green in action.

Any thoughts?

well they are bound to make it eventually, the incentives from the massive fan base are far to massive to ignore. Plus when operation chastity is released and is successful that might be enough to push them into making the movie.

History of the Halo feature film(s):

In the beginning, Alex Garland was paid $1 million by Microsoft to write an adaptation of Halo: Combat Evolved. Microsoft then sold this script to Universal for $10 million.

A rumor was started that Alex Garland's script had been dropped, and that D.B. Weiss had replaced him as the screenwriter, but Weiss confirmed in an interview on Gamesetwatch.com that he was only revising Garland's script.

Producer Peter Jackson asked Guillermo del Toro to helm the movie, but del Toro turned the offer down so he could direct Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008).

When Guillermo del Toro left the running, Peter Jackson settled on the novice Neill Blomkamp for director. Blomkamp worked to exhaustion for five months preparing the project, which went as far as constructing props and costumes and producing short Halo-themed films as test footage. The project then collapsed.

Jackson allowed Blomkamp a free reign in choosing a new project, which led to District 9 (2009). Although Blomkamp is still "creatively interested" in Halo, he does not wish to return to the project after working on it for so long and watching it collapse. Blomkamp commented that the Master Chief worked from a video gamer's perspective, but dramatically does not hold much weight because of his "faceless nature".

Stuart Beattie is rumored to have written a film adaptation of The Fall of Reach, complete with concept art, but there has since been no sign of a production of said movie.

According to the Internet Movie Database, the now "troubled" Halo movie follows such plot:

"After they crash-land on an artificial ring-world called "Halo", a navy captain, his surviving marines, and a chemically-and-surgically-enhanced super soldier named John, Spartan 117 "Master Chief" must find out what the Covenant, the genocidal alien race they are at war with, are looking for on the ring. However, when the Master chief finds out their plan, it was something that they did not expect. The covenant and the human are not alone on halo."

Now, with a series of live action and anime short films, several written novels, a handfull of videogames and more to come, you might think they would posess sufficient material to create individual stories within the same universe. But aparently, the people behind District 9, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, The Beach, King Kong, and all Lord of the Rings films are too incopmetent for such task.

Annoyed much?

I would really like to see this end up being made but I won't get my hops up just yet. I had also heard the same thing about the creators not wanting to center the movie around the master chief due to never showing his face. they said people wont be interested in a hero they cant see, personally i think they are wrong, all i wanna see is mc kickin some covenant butt, and doing it with style.

I would really like to see this end up being made but I won't get my hops up just yet. I had also heard the same thing about the creators not wanting to center the movie around the master chief due to never showing his face. they said people wont be interested in a hero they cant see, personally i think they are wrong, all i wanna see is mc kickin some covenant butt, and doing it with style.

I... kind of agree. Yes, there has to be butt-kicking. Yes, it has to be done with style. However, I don't believe that's what the movie should be built on. I would prefer to see an adaptation of the Fall of Reach (or even Contact: Harvest), rather then an adaptation of the game itself. I swear, if the movie ends up with as little characterisation and story-telling as The Flood, I shall be heavily annoyed.

i think as long as they do the movie in the story line they should start with the first contact but that's just me.

i think as long as they do the movie in the story line they should start with the first contact but that's just me.
I agree. I don't really like when movies don't happen in chronological order (I guess it sort of worked for Star Wars, but meh). I'd rather get the story flowing than jumping right into the battle of Installation 04.

I agree. I don't really like when movies don't happen in chronological order (I guess it sort of worked for Star Wars, but meh). I'd rather get the story flowing than jumping right into the battle of Installation 04.

YMMV on that one. I only really liked the prequels for the fight sequences, which were so beautifully and artistically chorepgraphed that... *mouth waters*

But yes, I would NOT want to see a jump into the middle of the story. Maybe the Fall of Reach, or a completely different planet even. I dunno whatI want to see really... only what I don't want xD

Needless to say, they should get John Williams to do the music because... well, 'nuff said.

Needless to say, they should get John Williams to do the music because... well, 'nuff said.
I disagree. Marty O'Donnell can handle the music. His music for the games was epic, and Marty's style is TOTALLY different than Williams'. It wouldn't feel like Halo if JW wrote the music.

Add to that IMO John Williams is grossly overrated.

Hopefully the production unit and writers will understand that a mere "filmification" of the first game isnt enough to satisfy demand. And that the halo universe possesses enough weight to create new stories and/or new angles.

My immediate opinion is that the halo series has gathered such a following, that after several games, novels and even short films, one or more feature films will eventually, inevitably be made.

The number of people who know this franchise is immense, and needless to say, most of them belong to the same general demographic as people who like movies.

It is, in all facets of the word, a goldmine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. Marty O'Donnell can handle the music. His music for the games was epic, and Marty's style is TOTALLY different than Williams'. It wouldn't feel like Halo if JW wrote the music.

Add to that IMO John Williams is grossly overrated.

Hey, Williams is a Good man. But I agree, Marty should be the one to work the score.

And for the record, does anyone remember the Landfall videos on Youtube?
There are two videos with separate opening scores, and one is supposed to be newer.
Did Marty do those?

Hey, Williams is a Good man. But I agree, Marty should be the one to work the score.

And for the record, does anyone remember the Landfall videos on Youtube?
There are two videos with separate opening scores, and one is supposed to be newer.
Did Marty do those?

I only remember one opening score for Landfall, and that was the same music used in the High Charity level on Halo 3, so I assume it's Marty's.

My issue with with Williams is that he can definitely write a good theme, but everything in between the themes is totally forgettable. If you listen to his soundtracks, you end up sleepwalking through an hour of music and all you remember is the couple-minute theme. Obvously, there are a few exceptions, but that's my general experience listening to his scores.

YMMV on that one. I only really liked the prequels for the fight sequences, which were so beautifully and artistically chorepgraphed that... *mouth waters*

But yes, I would NOT want to see a jump into the middle of the story. Maybe the Fall of Reach, or a completely different planet even. I dunno whatI want to see really... only what I don't want xD

I guess they could start off with Reach and maybe flash back to harvest a few times or in the introduction. And John Williams would be epic. He could maybe team up with Marty O Donnel.

I think they need to pick a storyline that can include the MC but doesn't focus on him alone. Include other characters, spartans and marines, and maybe show battles and whatnot where they crossed paths with the chief. And I personally would like to see movies that go from the beginning and possibly continue the story after 3 ends.

7 Steps to World Domination:

1. Pool Resources, Determine how much cash is on hand.
2. Hire Scriptwriter for 6 movies.
3. Wait a year for the scripts to be laid out and perfected.
4. Hire a crew.
5. Film the First movie.
6. Edit and Post Production.
7. Release first film and get more money.
????
Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back