Halo Novel's Consistancy W/ Halo Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

So I'm about half way through Contact Harvest, this being my first Halo novel (or any real book in a long time) and I'm wondering about the consistancies about the timeline/characters.

My biggest confusion is about the time line. Says that Sgt. Johnson joined the Marines at 19, and on top of that, was one of two people to ever technically make first contact (minus the guy that lighter then some killed) On top of that, this takes place in 2525, about 27 years before the events of Halo. This would easily make Johnson in his 80s by the time of Halo. Even weirder is that Halopedia claims that he was born in 2470. If that is true, that would have made Sgt. Johnson about 82 years old by the time of his death.

I think the only loophole in this is that they can say he was cryo'ed too many times over his lifespan during space travel, but that's a pretty far stretch IMO....

-TC

Why is it far fetched? Master chief is 40-50 but his body is around 27-35. Cryo freezes the body so it doesn't age at all. Johnson is technically in his 80s but his body is either 50 or 60 years old and 500 years in the future with medical advancements humans probably are living up to 200 years or so.

It IS because of cryo. I think that in general the Halo games and books do not show that slipspace travel still takes a while. I would guess that he is close to mid-40s when it comes to his physical state in Halo 3. A grizzled old Sarge.

2525-19=2506

2552(Halo event)-2506= 46 years old

It's not too far fetched for him to be fighting at this age. I would also go with the book on the facts seeing that they were made in collaboration with bungie and Microsoft. Anyone can add or change info on a wiki page.

Also, Johnson was also a part of the ORION project, technically the first SPARTAN project, where he and the other might have gone through the same augmentation processes as the SPARTAN II's.

But yes, Cryo Sleep (Some times up to a year or more) does affect the aging process.

I guess, just was throwing me off while reading everything, while already knowing the timeline.

One other thing is the technology/weaponry. They refer to them handling weapons that they have never seen before, one of them being the "Battle Rifle," however, it was never specified to any particular model. IDK anymore, I'm just gonna finish reading it and just accept it I guess...

About novel consitancies, read some star wars books, you'll be confused about alot of things going on there..

I have to say I`ve really enjoyed ALL the novels to date & thought they added so much to the HALO universe.

Now as for the slipstream issue, well Avery does give a brief on how that works in Harvest, not sure if you have got that far yet, he makes a point how much time he`s spent in cryo slipping around. Harvest I also thought was an Outstanding book & a Very good read too. I`m hoping there will be novels concerning UNSC Spirit of Fire & her crew somewhere along the lines.

Jason

It's been stated that a jump from Reach to Earth in little more than a straight line takes about 2 weeks using the fastest Shaw-Fujikawa Drive (I assume Prowlers are faster). This is from Halo: First Strike. Reach is the closest extrasolar colony to Earth, if I'm not mistaken. Having spent a long time in the corps by that point, Johnson surely would have undergone many long-range slips. I mean, that'd make him in his 80's chronologically, but in his 40s or 50s, biologically. Plus, there are several medical advancements (Ex: "Midnight in The Heart of Midlothian" - Halo Evolutions. "It's just cancer.") that would extend the human life span, plus the effects of ORION.

I think that number, shaving 30 or 40 years off is a stretch, but adding in the other factors, I say it's completely possible.

I actually have a question relaited to this topic.

Where there any people who made it off of Reach? I mean, other then the people on the Pillar of Autumn, and the other SPARTAN mission (Can't remember what it was-but it was in First Strike-Operation First Strike if I'm not mistaken, lol). I have been researching, and have found nothing on the subject saying "This is who made it off, and this is how they did it".Also, I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Buck on Reach? I think that is brought up in Halo 3:ODST.

Thanks to whoever finds the answer in advance.

Cheers!

Johnson is from "America" (countries dont exist then) as the novel describes him to be.

Harvest is the furthest planet from Earth, do the math. The travel from earth to reach alone will take a couple of years.

In that time he would be in cryo and he wouldnt age.

Not to mention his Flood regenerative abilities.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:

Where there any people who made it off of Reach? I mean, other then the people on the Pillar of Autumn, and the other SPARTAN mission (Can't remember what it was-but it was in First Strike-Operation First Strike if I'm not mistaken, lol). I have been researching, and have found nothing on the subject saying "This is who made it off, and this is how they did it".Also, I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Buck on Reach? I think that is brought up in Halo 3:ODST.

Cheers!

Yeah it is fact that Buck served on Reach, so there must have been SOME people that escaped. Among other possibilities I assume that once it became clear that Reach was a lost cause any surviving UNSC vessels took off to get out of the carnage, perhaps even recovering some marines from the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kodorei said:
Johnson is from "America" (countries dont exist then) as the novel describes him to be.

Harvest is the furthest planet from Earth, do the math. The travel from earth to reach alone will take a couple of years.

In that time he would be in cryo and he wouldnt age.

Not to mention his Flood regenerative abilities.

Actually, if I remember correctly from the novel, it suggested it'd take around 6 months. Right after the operation where Johnson first encountered the Jackel's, they were discussing about trying to get more marines/reinforcements to Harvest, but claimed that even then, help wouldn't be there for 3-6 months? Definatly wouldn't be a couple of years though..

tubachris85x said:
Actually, if I remember correctly from the novel, it suggested it'd take around 6 months. Right after the operation where Johnson first encountered the Jackel's, they were discussing about trying to get more marines/reinforcements to Harvest, but claimed that even then, help wouldn't be there for 3-6 months? Definatly wouldn't be a couple of years though..

"Help" could come from a closer planet.

Zendric said:
Thats the point, That IS from the closest planet.

Yeah, but he replied to my comment where I said that it would take years from Earth.

Harvest is the furthest planet from Earth.

In relation to the original question: Cryosleep (no aging during "jumps" that could last up to a year.) + Possible SPARTAN I Augmentations

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:

Cheers!

You forgot Doctor Hasley and Vice Admiral Whitcomb! (Though Whitcomb died shortly thereafter)

SpartanPhalanx1 said:
Yeah it is fact that Buck served on Reach, so there must have been SOME people that escaped. Among other possibilities I assume that once it became clear that Reach was a lost cause any surviving UNSC vessels took off to get out of the carnage, perhaps even recovering some marines from the surface.

There were actually quite a few people who survived. Buck was among that group. Also, in first strike at least 1 prowler left the battle near its end to report that reach was lost. So, your hypothesis is probably right that some ships/UNSC forces jumped after the battle.

Cheers!

Yes, quite a few people survived the attack on Reach. If I'm not mistaken, a few of the SPARTAN-IIIs were Reach survivors. But I'd say a couple thousand people got off Reach. Just because a planet is under attack doesn't mean that everyone dies. I'd presume the UNSC staged a pretty serious evacuation for civilians when the Covenant first popped up.

Reach isn't necessarily the closest planet to Earth. I'd say there were a few beside it, but none were nearly as important. Reach was primarily colonized because of its similarities to Earth (27 hour days, 390 day years, 1.08 Earth gravity, etc), as well as it's rich Titanium deposits, which are vital to the UNSC fleet for construction, repairs, armaments, etc.

Now, like everyone else said, the cryo sleep is what accounts for the age disrepencies. Take note of Harvest's fashion styles, which the book temporarily hits on: Johnson recalls seeing dresses that were easily 6 months to a year out of fashion. The reason for this is that Human slipspace technology can only propell the fastest of UNSC ships through slipspace at a rate of 2.625 lightyears per day. Now, look at Earths closest neighbor 4.37 lightyears away, which means it'd take roughly 4 days and some hours to get too. Not too bad, right?

Ok, now lets look at another one of Earths well known neighbors: Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse is located aproximatly 640 lightyears away. If we followed the UNSC's slipspace speed, 2.625 LPD, you'd get there in about 243 days. Again, thats not really bad, but it's certainly a timeperiod where cryosleep would be preferred. So, upon arival at Betelgeuse, you'd be 243 days younger then your Earthen counterparts. Thats not alot in the grand scheme of things, but it will certainly put an effect on how you count your age.

So, you've got 243 days to Betelgeuse. For a colonist, that isn't really a bad thing. 243 days won't really be missed or noted, and in comparison to Earth, there'd be little difference. Now, let's say that there a bunch of planets all aproximately the same distance from Earth. Again, no biggy. Colonists go, they deal with it, no problem. But what if theres a WAR? Now you throw soldiers into the mix, and these soldiers are routinely going into cryo-sleep during cross-planet jumps. If a soldier fights on, say, 6 planets and spends a week at each, the soldier isn't spending 6 weeks (42 days) away from home. He's actually spending 3882 days (10.5 years) away from home.

With an enemy like the Covenant or the Insurrectionists, you can pretty solidly expect the UNSC to be constantly shuffling soldiers around the universe, spending only small amounts of time at each location. With my above demonstration, you can understand how soldiers would often come home and their family is gone.

Sad, huh?

So, in Johnson's case, he fought as a SPARTAN-1, a trainee of the ORION Project, meaning he was a pretty damn important soldier. Johnson was known to have participated in two specific operations, KALEIDOSCOPE and TANGLEWOOD, as well as dozens of others as an S-1 ORION soldier. He also partook in Operation Trebuchet, the 1st Battle of Harvest, the Battle of Paris IV, the Battle of Reach, the Battles of Installations 04, 05, 00, and 04B respectively, Operation FIRST STRIKE, and the Battle for Earth.

So, right there, you've definitively accounted for 12 specific engagements with the Covenant, not including the dozens he partook in during his time in the ORION project.

Plus, most of these engagements are FURTHER away from Earth then both Betelgeuse and Alpha Centauri, so transit time is greatly increased.

Further taking into account for older Shaw-Fujikawa engines before 2550, I'd say that it's fairly easy to believe that, by following DOB/DOD, Johnson is easily 80 years old. Now, in reality, I'd guess that Johnson is biologicaly 35-45 years old, which would be pretty average for a Sergeant Major lifer.

So, the books are very accurate to the Halo universe. Joe Staten, being the writer for the Halo game franchise in the first place, would probably not make that kind of mistake.

Well if you look how the company has been involved with the books too it`s no surprise that they all blend.

I think it`s great how they all flow too, well written & go into little nuianses with humans, Covernant & the AIs. Hell look at Harvest & the ONI AI implanted within an AI, now that is about right for a Spook Dept.

Also have to say I admire the SIIIs moreso due to reading Onyx, really shows them as the next step of the Spartan Projects & not the bastard children of ONI I intially thought.

Also great that all the books do not just revolve around Master Chief S-117, nice to see others getting limelight. Even little Grunts :D

jason

Less believable an issue than this, I think, is the fact that some Spartan-IIs are actually quite social with each other. Far beyond what we see with the Chief's team. :D

And, for that matter, Maria-062. She actually RETIRED from the UNSC, got married, and started a family, if I'm not mistaken. I recall in Fall of Reach, the platinum implant in the SPARTANs' thyroids had the side effect of suppressed sex drives, to the point of complete inability to form sexual thoughts in most of them. Maria somehow escaped this side-effect. 0_0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back