halo odst metal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearTech

I want to know what you guys think of welding up a halo suit? I dont like the idea of paper and fiberglass. I want this to be strong enough for airsoft and paintball. Do you think that it would be possible?

Not a good idea for several reasons.

-It will be very heavy and ungainly.
-It will be very expensive.
-Wearing any kind of Halo armor for airsoft or paintball is just not a good idea. Trust me, as someone who has completed and worn a full Mark VI suit, movement is limited enough as it is. I couldn't imagine trying to run around, ducking for cover playing airsoft or paintball. Not to mention your visibility is limited.

My advice is to stick to the proven methods of making armor if you're serious about it and want to succeed. And ditch the airsoft/paintball idea.

How strong is the thin layer of fiber glass? I was planing on useing really thin metal that weighs almost nothing but is still strong.

ODST armor might have a chance at being constructed from a thin (14 guage or so) metal. Its really just a series of plates that would be attached to an undersuit as opposed to a full spartan suit that actually slide over the arms, torso and legs. Problem is it's not going to protect you any extra since there will be an padded under suit. If you are just going for looks it will work. Forewarning 14 gauge is pretty thin so unless you have access to a tig welder or are really good with mig, oxyacetylene brazing is going to be the cheapest method.

Considering that some boats, and airplane and car parts are made of fiberglass, it has a reputation as being a strong material when used correctly.

Even with a fiberglass suit, it is tiring to wear. I can't imagine what a metal suit (no matter the thickness) would be like...

Search metal on here. Lots of people have mentioned or asked about it, very very few have done anything with it.

Feel free to build what you'd like, but we don't allow discussion of costumes built for protection on here...
The armor we create is for display and costuming purposes, not for protection. Even if it's mainly for display or show while engaging in those activities, there are always risks of the costume shattering, splintering etc. and so we can't condone its discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back